“Disappointed”

Neighbourhood: Old Town
Richland
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stopped here for lunch today and we were mildly disappointed. I didn't realize this was a walk-up to the counter and order kind of place. I ordered Mongolian beef and I was really disappointed in that there was very little beef involved. The flavor was okay but not great. My wife had a noodle soup dish with chicken and it was okay but again not great. I was disappointed that I had a styrofoam plate, a plastic fork and really I was not favorably impressed. The ladies cooking the food and taking the order were friendly and the food prices were economical but overall I was disappointed and would not recommend this place.

• Visited May 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
“A weekly Staple”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

This my son's favorite place to eat. Fast, easy, filling and very very tasty. The Pad Thai with shrimp, the chicken coconut curry, the orange chicken, the Fung Chu with beef. We've tried them all. Chicken, shrimp and beef all at the same price, making a great value.

Visited March 2013
Alexandria, VA
“really good inexpensive Asian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is a gem in the heart of Old Town. It is a casual, small place, with takeout and delivery (including curbside pick-up). No alcholic beverages are served. The food is so good--not greasy or heavy. There are about fifteen entrees; we had the Pad Thai vegetable and Thai Ginger Garlic chicken (had a hard time deciding, as everything looked good), in addition to Pho Soup (it was very cold outside) and shrimp summer rolls (served with a delicious tangy house creation sauce). Very nice staff--one orders at the counter if eating inside. Each entree is $6.39 ($7.39 for delivery)--that can't be beat for such good food! We want to try the lettuce wraps and the Cantonese Chow Fun and Shanghai Feast next time. Most of the entrees come in either beef, chicken, or veggies.

• Visited January 2013
Jumpin' all over the world
“Low prices, average food, nice staff, decent enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stopped in Red Mei on a Sunday evening when many other restaurants on King St. were closed. It's sort of like Asian fast food -- you order at the counter from a large board of options, then pick up your dish at the counter when they call your name. Dishes averaged around $8. We all thought our meals were fine -- not great, but certainly not bad -- and the guy behind the counter was friendly. I had asked for dressing on the side and when I pointed out that they made my salad with the dressing mixed in, they very quickly remade it without any hint of being annoyed. Normally I would give a place like this an average rating, but the friendliness of the people working there pushed it to a very good rating.

Visited January 2013
Washington DC
“Cheap eats”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I admit I thought this was a different restaurant when I bought the $20 Living Social coupon. But no matter, for a grand investment of $10 for the coupon and 88 cents for taxes, it was a pretty decent meal. This is, as jxx9595 notes, a hole in the wall, maybe seating for 20. Nothing cost more than $7.

CRR had shrimp curry, which he said was tasty if lacking spiciness. I had the Thai ginger chicken, and it indeed had a nice pop of ginger to offset the heat of the red chilies. We also got summer roles, which were ENORMOUS, two for $3.99.

It doesn't have a lot of atmosphere, but Red Mei is a fine takeout or delivery joint.

• Visited October 2012