“Falls Short of Expectations”
Review of Carlyle Club

Carlyle Club
Ranked #2 of 11 Nightlife in Alexandria
Reviewed 1 January 2014

New Year's Eve the greedy owners jammed so many tables in that you couldn't get thru to dance to the Great Doc Scantlin. It wouldn't matter if you did get through, they put so many tables on the dance floor you couldn't dance anyway. We got there at 7:30 with the statement "You want to be done eating when the show starts?" In reality we did not get our food until after 10 pm when I DEMANDED we get our food. My food was OK, comparable to Outback Steakhouse. My husbands was HORRIBLE. Imagine our shock when 4 people had over a $700 bill over the $200 cover charge we already paid. Our table mate was so outraged he complained and each couple got some money back. Nice recovery BUT service has always been slow. Hard to get a drink. Really something wrong with service training. Doc made it a good experience but that is not enough.

1  Thank sassyredhead

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Saw Doc Scantlin & His Imperial Palms Orchestra with Chou Chou recently at the Carlyle Club with a group of a dozen or so. The place reminded me of the old River Club in Georgetown. The entertainment was very good, food mediocre at best and once the show began the service trailed off significantly as I had to walk over to the bar to order a bottle of wine. The bartender was very nice, apologized for the servers, and brought the wine over to our table. Would possibly go back depending on who's entertaining. Doc's wife Chou Chou is very entertaining. During the performance there is audience participation. One thing that is a bid odd is the "showoff" couples dancing (some fresh out of Arthur Murray) while the performance is going on. Seems rude to me but it is permitted it and Doc didn't seem to mind!

1  Thank dendr
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This place is amazing. I went with my fiance, and we couldn't have been happier. The show we saw was on one of their Jazz Thursdays, and the performers were fantastic. Very engaging, and actually spent some time trying to get the audience involved in the show which was entertaining.

The decor is great, very old school big band jazz club kind of feel. The wait staff was on top of their game, very attentive. They did a great job giving recommendations and just being sociable which was also nice.

The drinks were out of this world. Honestly, the bartender here blew my mind. I usually order a Tom Collins first thing at a bar, to gage the bartender's skill. If they have no idea what that is, don't trust them, only order beer. But the bartender here not only knew what it was, but made one of the best I ever had. In talking to her, she showed my fiance some of the more creative drinks she makes, and all of them were amazing.

The food as also great. I had the steak, which was cooked perfectly, but what really wowed me was the fried calamari appetizer. Now, every place can do fried calamari, so it's usually a good standby but nothing special. But here, not only was it very fresh, but they covered the fried goodness with cheese, something I'd never thought of, and it blew my mind. Something so simple, yet I've been craving it ever since!

Definitely returning here!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Carlyle. It was everything and more than we could have asked. The co-owner Sharon, did everything in her power to make sure we had everything we asked for. The night could not have been more perfect. Everyone loved the club and the food was amazing. The portions of food that they serve are very large, there is no way anyone leaves there still hungry. I truly thank God for us finding this treasure. I prayed for a perfect wedding/reception, and that's what I got. Sharon is an amazing woman. If you have anything at that club you will be given the royal treatment. I would recommend this place a million times to anyone who wants to have a grown, sophisticated wedding reception, or any high class event. This is the place. Sharon even took the time to decorate more, on top of what we had already put up, just to add to the decorum. Like I said, she is an amazing woman. I pray nothing but blessings over their family. THANK YOU Carlyle Club, you truly made the most important day ever SPECTACULAR!!!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This place is just ok. My fiance and I went on a Friday night. I had you tubed the main artist that was going to be there and really liked him, but the other artists were kind of random. I love all types of music, so that was ok, but some were good and some were really bad...and I do mean bad! Also, the host lacked personality and wasn't entertaining at all. The food was so so, not worth the price by any means. We had two drinks each and dinner. Our bill at the end of the night was $153, not including the $40 we spent to get through the door. The coolest thing about this place is it's atmosphere. It really is a shame that the entertainment and food isn't better, because this place could really be something. The fun I had was definitely not worth the price we paid!

I would definitely recommend this place for weddings though. It is a really cool set up.