“Very good value in this area. Far from perfect, but better than expected”

Quality Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Formerly an Econolodge this property was better than I expected, but the bar was low after my recent stay at the Sleep Inn at BWI. Although not visible from the front of the building (which looks nice) this is an EXTERIOR corridor hotel, which individual outside doors facing a courtyard area which is well lit at night and looks nice during the day. The rooms were on the small side and shows signs of age and traffic, but not as bad as expected. The bathrooms have been updated with solid surface counter tops. The room was fairly clean and has a micro/fridge and 25” tube TV, a SMALL work area with a horrible chair. The beds were OK and the pillows were lumpy and cheap. The breakfast was very good with hot choices like waffles and eggs and traditional cold cereal, muffins, etc. The breakfast room was clean and comfortable. FOR THE PRICE, this is an above average property.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank YepBeenThere
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Mount Vernon

Reviewed 8 April 2011

I decided to book this hotel after reading many online reviews. The price was almost to good to be true, so I still had a bit of hesitation and did not really expect much.
I have to say, our stay there was wonderfully above what we expected.
The front desk, cleaning, and security staff were all very friendly, courteous, and helpful.
The room was extremely clean. You can tell that whoever cleaned our room did so with not merely professionalism, but pride. I have been in much more expensive hotels where things were not done nearly as well.
The room (2 queens, very hard to find in this price range) was spacious enough that 2 adults and 2 teens never felt the least bit cramped.
Microwave, minifridge, coffeemaker, coatrack and sink and mirror are in their own room with a door so that someone getting dressed doesn't have to wake up the rest.
The hotel was nearly full-up when we arrived, but over three nights the only sound we ever heard from our neighbors was when pizza was delivered next door. No voices through the walls, no traffic noise.
There is a Denny's and Taco Bell within walking distance. Many restaurants, convenience stores, Target, Wal-Mart, and various groceries are to be found within a convenient 2 mile drive on the same road.
The nearest Metro station, in my opinion the best way in to DC, is Huntington Station- about 2 miles from the hotel. Eisenhower Station is the next closest at about 2.4 miles.
The only negatives- the parking lot is a bit tight. The TV's could be updated, but we don't really put much value there.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank madenuzzio
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Hotel is well maintained, clean and comfortable. Linens were good quality, pillow-topped mattress, hot shower and fast wifi internet for less than $100! Comparable to a newer Hampton Inn. The area is not for walking, a rental car is a must. I will stay there again when I need to travel to the Alexandria area.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicholas L
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Yes, I said it. I stayed here for two nights for MAGFest on the other side of town, and I was much more satisfied with my accommodations here than I was at the actual convention site!

I read reviews here prior to checking in saying that this facility was located in a BAD part of town, and that I ought to walk around with eyes in the back of my head. What a load. I felt pretty safe while staying here, and my sister would be inclined to agree.

While the internet signal was pretty bad on our side of the hotel, it still worked pretty well, in spite of the occasional outage. Not bad enough to complain to the front desk about, though, and it worked when I needed it.

We got both a fridge AND a microwave in our room, both of which were heavily utilized. Another plus is that the hotel waived the pet deposit for my hermit crabs, who stayed in their cage 99% of the time. There was a LOT of room to stretch out and unwind, much more than that allotted to me when we had to change rooms and move across town, although my sister got a room with her boyfriend, who flew in later in the week.

Should MAG be held in Alexandria again next year, and should I attend, I will definitely give this place another go. Nice bang for the buck, and another Choice Hotel that succeeded my expectations!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DodgerOfZion
Reviewed 2 January 2011

This hotel is located about 10 minutes from downtown DC which is why I stayed there. There are plenty of convenience stores, restaurant and stores nearby. About the bad neighborhood as stated in other reviews, I arrived at night and saw a few drunk people outside the nearby appartments, but it was during the holidays and there was nothing to be afraid of.

For the hotel, the staff was courteous and nice, a very good experience at check-in. The room was spacious and clean, with recent mattresses. In overall, a good night sleep... after a long drive, it was appreciated. The only problem with the hotel is their wifi service... one of the worst I've seen, don't even expect it to work, bring an ethernet cable or maybe you can ask for one at the front desk. The signal is so poor that it just won't connect, I've even walked outside trying to get it and it was just weak everywhere... seems like they could invest in a few more routers... For the breakfast, it might be fine for some people, but it's just a continental breakfast as found everywhere else, I went to the Denny's which is right next door.

For the price, assuming it's in the DC area, it's a very good choice. Would go there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAULPHN
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Stay away stay away stay away!!!!!!
I travel 250 days out of a year and have been for the last thirteen years. I have left a hotel only three times in that thirteen years. This was by far the worst!!!!!!

First clue should have been the armed security and still people were milling around drinking ect outside their rooms. Then I have never been treated so poorly in my life. The front desk girl was the rudest person I have ever come in contact with in thirteen years of being on the road.

Then the rooms were awful,dirty,stinky,,nasty dirty bedding. Nonsmoking rooms had burn hole in bedding and furniture carpet in all three rooms I reserved was worn dirty and it smelled the one room had stained mattresses yuck yuck yuck

I can not stress enough what a horrific experience I had with this hotel and it's staff including the security guard. I personally felt harrassed by him and the gal at the front desk because I wanted to check out of this crappy hotel . I know it says it's a gold medal winner. It is my sincere belief that the staff must be writing the reviews because this place is one scarey DUMP.

Stay away

• Stayed: August 2010
4  Thank Ohiojo
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Well I must say that there are some good things about this place. There is a 7-11 about a 1-2 minute walk right here for snacks and drinks when you want them. It has a pretty big pool that is pretty private from others. They have a few picnic tables for outdoors with a grille. Rooms have a microwave and fridge in the rooms. There is a Denny’s right here if you like that chain. I went in and my waitress smelled like she hadn’t taken a shower in a week, and a table behind me was have a belching contest and no one said a thing so I just got up and walked out. I went to the local grocery store and bought me a microwave meal and some other things and came back to the room to eat. There are other restaurants around, but you have to drive and keep doing annoying U-turns to everything.

Now that’s it as far as the nice things go. The interior décor is flat out retro. All rooms exterior entrance, so there are no elevators. There is no Wi-Fi signal what so ever, not even on the lobby. They do have Ethernet connection and the guy at the front desk let me borrow a cord as well. Maxwell house coffee in the rooms, I think coffee brand is a big deal as I love it. The beds aren’t great, but not horrible.

All in all I would not recommend a friend or family to stay here, but if you are on a strict budget and don’t care then it’s a ok place. I was so tired from traveling all day and didn’t feel like looking elsewhere so I managed to survive. My recommendation to Management would be to PLEASE take care of your customers by offering a sufficient Wi-Fi for the whole property. I travel a lot and feel that if you offer and advertise free Wi-Fi then you should have it available for all rooms whether you’re next to the lobby or the last room in the wing. At least you have Ethernet though.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business