“Pretty bad area...dont leave your room after dark...Seriously. No Wi-Fi but ethernet”

Quality Inn Mount Vernon
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Well I must say that there are some good things about this place. There is a 7-11 about a 1-2 minute walk right here for snacks and drinks when you want them. It has a pretty big pool that is pretty private from others. They have a few picnic tables for outdoors with a grille. Rooms have a microwave and fridge in the rooms. There is a Denny’s right here if you like that chain. I went in and my waitress smelled like she hadn’t taken a shower in a week, and a table behind me was have a belching contest and no one said a thing so I just got up and walked out. I went to the local grocery store and bought me a microwave meal and some other things and came back to the room to eat. There are other restaurants around, but you have to drive and keep doing annoying U-turns to everything.

Now that’s it as far as the nice things go. The interior décor is flat out retro. All rooms exterior entrance, so there are no elevators. There is no Wi-Fi signal what so ever, not even on the lobby. They do have Ethernet connection and the guy at the front desk let me borrow a cord as well. Maxwell house coffee in the rooms, I think coffee brand is a big deal as I love it. The beds aren’t great, but not horrible.

All in all I would not recommend a friend or family to stay here, but if you are on a strict budget and don’t care then it’s a ok place. I was so tired from traveling all day and didn’t feel like looking elsewhere so I managed to survive. My recommendation to Management would be to PLEASE take care of your customers by offering a sufficient Wi-Fi for the whole property. I travel a lot and feel that if you offer and advertise free Wi-Fi then you should have it available for all rooms whether you’re next to the lobby or the last room in the wing. At least you have Ethernet though.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 July 2010

We were on our first trip to Washington DC and wanted to have a nice place to stay but without the cost of being close to DC. I had made several calls to talk to the staff to reassure me what I was getting into.
I was very pleased with everything, the staff was very friendly and always willing to help if you had questions.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is visitng DC, 3 miles to the Metro.
I found the rooms to be nice, if you are on vacation you are not there to watch tv which did have static but was good enough to watch in the morning to see what the weather was going to bel
The breakfast was also great, try the waffles they are the best!!!
Thank you staff you made our trip enjoyable, maybe you can give some tips to the staff at the Metro that is where we found the problems on the first day. We had gotten more help from the local people then the staff at the Metro.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank krykev
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed here on the spur of the moment. We had checked out of another motel and planned to go home but decided to stay at the last minute and see Mt. Vernon. The room was very clean and had the usual hair dryer and iron. It wasn't fancy, but it was clean and comfortable. That was all that we needed. We had plenty of extra towels at our disposal. Chrissy at the front desk is very nice and very helpful. The price was comparable to other motel chains in the area. There is a Denny's across the street more or less from the motel, and that was handy.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindun104
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I would only recommend this hotel if you don't need updated or nice decor.

If you like basic - this is your place.

Someone has been trying to update it but they still have a ways to go. We called to see if they had a room and the woman on the phone kept saying we have a clean room, actually she was trying to say Queen room but I would add I think it was a clean as they could make it. Great pillows - but I used my own.

There was a door between our room and the next room - thing that scared me -- they had a lock on our side but did it have a lock on the other side? No inside security lock. Definately dirty cloudy windows, old tv with more static channels than actual channels, dirty wallpaper. Needed more updating and newer carpet. Room did have a lot of "cover" up smells to mask the old/smoke smell.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenni-Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Beds were very comfortable, each bed had 4 pillows of different density which was a big plus. Breakfast was included in the reasonable price and it included Belgian waffels, cereal, pastries, toast, scrambled eggs and bacon! Rooms were quiet enough. Many contractors / workers use this hotel so you have lots of pick ups in the lot that leave early, but not a problem.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The bed was excellent. The room was large with micro and fridge and thermostat controlled heat and air conditioning. Pool!!! Very quiet. I felt very safe.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Stayed here just after Christmas 2009, after the snowstorm and subsequent heavy rains. Purpose was to stay one night, in a hotel that is away from the downtown Washington DC hotels...it is about 20mins drive during non-traffic hours (we drove into Washington on Saturday nite and again on Sunday morning).

The hotel was as expected....business travellers would probably prefer to stay at a Hampton Inn or Courtyard Marriott. But for a family that just needs a stopover stay, or even a 2 nite stay, the Quality Inn Mt Vernon is more than adequate and good on the pocketbook...AAA discount brought the price down from $80/nite to $72. Complimentary hi-speed wireless internet in our room (205) was difficult to connect to, but the front staff were able to lend me a cable to connect to the hi-speed also available in the room at the desk area. Next door (rm 204), our friends had no problem to connect wirelessly.

Saw the prior review about false advertising regarding the queen beds...for us, we asked to check out the rooms first before booking, and I did notice that the headboards were also not as wide as the advertised queen beds, but they certainly were not double-sized beds, and were roomy enough for us (2 adults, 2 teens), so I'll assume they WERE queen size (in fact, we slept on double-sized beds the next night at a different hotel, so I KNOW these beds at Quality Inn were definitely bigger, and really are Queen sized). Anyway, as far as the beds, these mattresses seemed to be fairly new, and VERY comfortable (my wife is picky about this, and she had good compliments about the beds). Small washroom, small fridge, and a microwave...just adequate for us.

Breakfast was Ok...it was in a separate room was next to the lobby, and felt a bit small/tight....scrambled eggs, and crispy/dry bacon, but also included hot waffle irons...staff was quiet and shy, but helpful to make the waffles for us, and also for our teens. Quiet, elderly breakfast staff, but courteous nonetheless.

For locating this hotel, it was easier to punch in "7240 Fordson Rd, Alexandria VA" on my Garmin GPS. For seeing it at Google Maps, try "7248 Fordson Rd, Alexandria VA" and then switch to street view.

Have to give a thumbs up to this hotel, especially for a quick stay with free parking and away from the expense of Washington Dc area.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family