“Great!”

Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle
Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This hotel is great I thought. This is my very first time in DC and I stayed here with employee rate since I couldnt find anything downtown so I figured I need a hotel that is easy access and this was it. Very close to the Metro line that will take you right into all the main places in Washington. Went to the restaurant inside the hotel for breakfast and it was great. All staff were great and helpful. Went to the USA basketball game and took the Metro back and easily and safely walked back to the hotel. It is a very safe area by the looks of it since its near a lot of office buildings so at night time you basically won't see anything strange. The rooms was very nice and the fitness ctr was great. Overall a very good hotel.

1  Thank west_coast22
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle

Reviewed 12 July 2012

The parking lot of this hotel is joined with the Metro lot, so it is very convenient if you're taking the Metro into DC or other sites in Alexandria. Staff was very friendly. Love love love the complimentary shuttle! One driver took my husband around to gas stations and stores looking for beverages. And they were very helpful in getting us to the airport when our train was cancelled and he had to rent a car!

1  Thank Lorijreis
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I normally stay in Hilton Brand hotels or Marriott brands, rarely ever in a Holiday Inn. However, I am SO very glad I did. I chose this hotel on the last evening of the vacation for my daughter's senior trip, (just she and I), as it was within walking distance to the metro for the Dave Matthews Concert we were going to later that night in Bristow and the hotel also had a shuttle to DCA. Upon check in the staff, could not have been more personable and friendly. My check-in clerk suggested I sign up for their priority club rewards, which I agreed to do, even though I do not often stay with this chain. Upon doing so I received a coupon book for 20% off breakfast the next morning, which we used and enjoyed. The room was clean, comfortable, with modern decor. The shuttle driver was very quick and helpful getting us back to the airport the next morning. This hotel was nice and changed my mind about Holiday Inn's - however it is the STAFF that gives this hotel an excellent rating. They all went above and beyond to make us feel at home!

4  Thank layla_lou
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Husband and I stayed here because a storm had knocked the power out at our house. Hotel was convenient because it was 15 minutes from our house. I am old enough to remember when Holiday Inn was a great hotel, which then declined before they took control of their franchisees.

It is clear that the hotel has been renovated and is very well appointed. The lobby is modern and comfortable as well as the restaurant, separate lounge, pool and fitness center. It was all very inviting. We had a room with 2 double beds with nice bedding, comfortable chair/ottoman and nice desk arrangement. They also offer free WIFI!

I was surprised to see that some of the other reviewers complained about the fact that it is surrounded on 2 sides by highways, because one does not have to cross the highways.

Even though we were not tourists, I think it is an excellent location for tourists because the subway is 1 block away as well as a very large multi-screen theater, and restaurants. I don't know what more people want?

The service was top notch and all in all a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mai2centsworth
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here for a night before flying home. The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport. They will also take you to a nearby area where there are plenty of restaurants and shopping. The hotel has a restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The place also has free WIFI and a pool. It was very convenient and the service was good. We enjoyed our stay here.

1  Thank globeseeker007
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We were happy with our stay at this hotel.

PROS: easy check-in, free washer/dryer (great for those traveling with children), NICE pool, bar, cafe, FREE parking, FREE wifi. Oh, and they had the SPROUT channel, which was a big deal to my little one.

CONS: Can't really think of any except that they were booked and we couldn't rebook for an additional night :-(

1  Thank Kjbzmommy
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We chose this hotel because it was very convenient to the Washington Metro (literally across the street). We planned to just sleep here and ride the Metro into Washington for days of sightseeing. We figured the Metro cost was less than the difference in price for hotels in Washington.
The hotel is surrounded by interstate highways and ramps. Construction is still underway and getting there was an adventure when the GPS led us to the Road Closed signs. But, once you determine how to get there, it was worth it. The hotel is clean and simple. Nothing special, but we were expecting simple.
The staff were above average. They were very helpful. The restaurant staff in particular were wonderful in putting up with our casual sense of schedule. The other staff met all our needs with a smile.
It turned out that the Metro idea didn;t work out as well as we expected. There was more walking involved than we planned. And less flexibility. We eventually just used our car to get into and out of town and arranged our schedule to avoid rush hours.
There is no simple way to get to the neighborhood stores and restaurants. The roads are definitely unfriendly for pedestrians.
Our grandchildren loved the pool. We had no trouble there.
They also loved the mausoleum in the parking lot. Not the usual adventure. An opportunity to talk about real life.

2  Thank Paul_from_VA