“Convenient & Full Service, No-frills Hotel”

Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
“Convenient & Full Service, No-frills Hotel”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was in town for a conference at the downtown Ritz Carlton, and this was the only hotel I found on my company's travel website that was within the authorized, government-set per diem rate. The hotel was conveniently located one long-ish block from the Eisenhower Ave. Metro stop, and the total trip from Holiday Inn to the Ritz was about 40 minutes. Not the best in the world, but not bad.

I arrived early - about 8:30AM and parked in their rear parking lot - went to the desk and was greeted by a manager who I'm guessing is the one so vilified by other reviews. She seemed a little preoccupied, but verified that I had reservations and quickly completed a parking pass for me. I certainly don't know this, but I would guess the attitude reported elsewhere is a reflection of that of the guests.

The hotel carpets and some of the paint looks a little old, but that is my only criticism of the accommodations. The bed was comfortable, and the bath and shower were nicely appointed and well stocked. The room had a microwave and refrigerator, which I didn't use, but which are definite plusses in my assessment of hotel rooms. The TV had an excellent picture and a large number of channels. My room was quiet, despite the fact that there were numerous groups with teenagers staying in the hotel. My room was an even numbered room on the top (10th) floor with a view of the beltway (what did I expect?).

As I was tired, it was very convenient that the hotel had a full bar and adjacent restaurant. The bar didn't advertise the fact that you could order from the restaurant menu, but I was able to do so, making it very convenient to watch a baseball game on their excellent ~55" HD TV while having my dinner. I particularly appreciated the bartender, who (1) advised against ordering the fried calamari and endorsed ordering the cobb salad, saying that it was large and probably sufficient, then (2) intercepted the chef's salad that was delivered, sending it back and insisting on what I had ordered. As a 'by the way', he was also personable throughout.

As I initially said, the room rate was within the $249 per diem level (at $132 and $160 respectively for the two nights), and about 1/3 of the "special conference rate at the Ritz. There are a number of appealing restaurants a block away, which I will likely try in the future, and the hotel was adequate in condition, cost, services and location near a Metro stop. I suspect I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mellen401

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I am a business man, got invited to USPTO for attending the the 2014 National Inventors Hall of Fame ceremony. My company has booked the hotel for me and the room was guaranteed using my credit card. When my wife and I showed up at the front desk the front desk clerk told us that our room was not available because of the hotel was over-booked! The clerk offered us a room at a different hotel, which was far away from the event which we might not be able to attend! We asked for seeing the manager who never showed up. After standing at the front loby demanding to see the manager for bout half an hour, the clerk handed us the room keys! What an experience! and what on earth was the clerk was trying to do! Chasing the clients who had room guaranteed away to have a room for somebody else? I believe that this is not the policy of Holiday Inn, however, I would like the share my thoughts for some kind of correction, employee training. The incident was at the evening on May 20, 2014.

Room Tip: Need to have honest employees
Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank HopNTrip
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear HopNTrip,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your reservation. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Des Moines, Washington
Reviewed 23 May 2014

No pleasant or unpleasant surprises. Clean, neat, typical of what you would expect at a Holiday Inn. Short walk from metro, ditto for some restaurants and a movie theatre. A problem with our reservation was resolved relatively quickly as we had documentation that reservations had been made on-line through a 3rd party booking agency. All the expected amenities and services. Would recommend eating elsewhere if you have a choice. Staff was efficient although not overly friendly. When next in DC, will probably try a hotel near the King Street metro station one stop closer to DC. Many more eating/shopping options there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gdeakins
Dear gdeakins,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are always very grateful for our guest’s feedback and are particularly pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. I appreciate your comments regarding our food selection, this shall be addressed accordingly.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Charisse V.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I don't even know where to begin. When checking in we were greeted but a very unpleasant (Manager non the less Cordelia). She begin to tell me that the 2 rooms I had reserved for several months were not ready, check in was at 3 it was close to 5. I inquired when they would be ready considering we had been traveling from MA with kids and were tired. She told me that the hotel was overbooked and when they were ready she would let me know. What? umm not a good first impression. We decided to go have dinner and when we cam back were flagged down ever so rudely by a 'hey you" where she than proceeded to tell me that my friend who was staying a few more days than me would need to change rooms. We were there for a 3 night stay my friend 5. We were told that the hotel was over booked and a group was coming in so she needed our rooms. She than went on to say well I gave you those rooms , as if she was doing us a favor..hello we reserved them. When asked what room my friend would be changing to we were told she didn't have one yet. Okay what didn't she understand about we check in at 3 and check out on the last day of our stay at 12 that we paid for that service from start to end not with a break. She than told us that we needed to be accommodating...again what? umm aren't we at a hotel for them to accommodate us? I have never in my life and she wasn't nice about it or at all concerned. We did not matter as customers and she made that known. I called the 800 number to voice our concerns and they told me she would take care of us. Okay her idea of taking care of us was to walk up to the room and rudely hand over a voucher for breakfast for 2. So no credit for the hotel stay..no apologies for being rude or making them change rooms (into a room they didn't have). She was rude in every way possible. The worse customer service experience I have ever had and we travel all the time. The last day there before I left they were greeted by the General Manager of the hotel who had a room for them, well gee thanks as if again they were doing us a favor by having a room for my friends. He asked to speak to my friend with Cordila. I will leave this review letting you know she was not pleased and never apologetic for how she treated us. The kids were calling her cruedlia de ville by the end of the trips. When you stay at a hotel you should feel relaxed...every time we walked into this hotel we felt uncomfortable, uneasy and unwelcome. She even went as far as to call me the day before my last day to ask if I was going to check out..umm no not yet it's April vacation everything is booked. So sorry you overbooked but clearly not the customers problem...according to Cordeila it was and we needed to be accommodating and help her out somehow. Awful experience would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank KKOF
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear KKOF,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about our hotel. I appreciate that you have chosen our location for your recent stay. I am sorry to hear though about any trouble that may have hindered you to fully enjoy your vacation. We take every comment seriously because this will allow us to improve our services. I have sent you a private message for us to get more information on how we can assist you further.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Corning, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I choose this hotel to stay for our 6 day trip to visit DC. Much less expensive than staying in the city. The Metro station was only a 5 minute walk and would take you right to all the places you would want to go. The hotel was easy to find, right off the highway. Even though close to highway it was quiet. ( our room was on the metro side)The rooms were very clean and everything worked fine. The desk staff was courteous and glad to help with any questions I had. There are not many places for eating/shopping nearby(walking distance) but I was not there for those reasons. Would recommend to anyone looking for a quite, safe location in a busy city with easy access to the Metro.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank logman99
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have stayed at a bunch of Hotels in Washington DC suburbs for leisure trips to DC. I look for location (easy access to Metro), value, and quality or room and staff. This was my first stay at this Hotel, and it did not disappoint. I am a light sleeper, and the staff was helpful in confirming my room would be reasonably quiet upon checkin, and consistently friendly and helpful during my stay. The Hotel is withn a few minutes walking distance from the Metro. There are some eateries (including a Starbucks) also within short walking distance, as well as several fancy restaurants in Old Town, which is a short car ride away. The Hotel does run shuttles to Old Town, but we found it more convenient to drive.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Metro seemed quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank avalok11
Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel does a great job. They have a friendly staff who go above and beyond the call of duty. It is my home away from home when working in the DC area. The rooms are clean and the rooming blocks are done very good . Keep up the good work. Thank you holiday inn Alexandria.

Stayed April 2014