Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle
EmbassySuites.com
US$343
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Old Colony Inn Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$117
Official Hotel
US$177
US$169
US$317
US$283
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfree parkingmovie theateracross the streetted's montana grillmetro stationstayed at the holiday innold townindoor poolbreakfast buffetyellow linefive minute walkmicrowave and fridgelifeguard on dutyroad noiserestaurants within walking distancedc areawould stay here again
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were supposed to stay Tuesday through Friday night, but the AC was broken and it was in excess of 95 degrees each day. On the second night the front desk said the problem had been fixed, but it was not. Also, internet did not work first night. After talking with a manager on several occasions they did comp one night of the stay and let us check out a day early without being charged. Felt like the hotel should have done more to accommodate its customers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ryan A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Ryan A,

Ben J

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed from Mon - Thurs. By Monday evening, the A/C went out. By Tuesday, there was no internet but I had an important paper to work on/research. The restaurant was out of fries but didn't inform me until after the rest of my meal was done and ready to be served. I called the front desk on Wed and was informed that the A/C was being worked on so it would be a few hours before I could feel it. Before the night was up, it must have stopped worked AGAIN. By the time I checked out on Thursday, the A/C didn't feel as if it was working. Government employees were entitled to free breakfast vouchers, but I had to go back to the front counter to ask for the vouchers. Had my colleague not asked if I received any, I wouldn't have known I was entitled to the government vouchers. The door to the room had to physically be pulled to close or my room would've been unsecured (I'm glad I just didn't walk away and checked my door).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Joyce J,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you have encountered particularly the room amenities, Internet service and the level of service you received. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Again, thank you for your recent stay and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is fine for amemities however, the air conditioning hasnt worked for two nights and the front desk employees have not been honest about the extent of the problem or status of repairs. We are on te 5th floor, however the airconditioning is also not working in rooms on the 2nd or 8th floor.

• Stayed: June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear RRTourist,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are very sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered regarding the air conditioning system. Your comments have been forwarded to the respective departments and I am confident that our hotel will take the necessary actions to ensure that similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was in town for a conference at the downtown Ritz Carlton, and this was the only hotel I found on my company's travel website that was within the authorized, government-set per diem rate. The hotel was conveniently located one long-ish block from the Eisenhower Ave. Metro stop, and the total trip from Holiday Inn to the Ritz was about 40 minutes. Not the best in the world, but not bad.

I arrived early - about 8:30AM and parked in their rear parking lot - went to the desk and was greeted by a manager who I'm guessing is the one so vilified by other reviews. She seemed a little preoccupied, but verified that I had reservations and quickly completed a parking pass for me. I certainly don't know this, but I would guess the attitude reported elsewhere is a reflection of that of the guests.

The hotel carpets and some of the paint looks a little old, but that is my only criticism of the accommodations. The bed was comfortable, and the bath and shower were nicely appointed and well stocked. The room had a microwave and refrigerator, which I didn't use, but which are definite plusses in my assessment of hotel rooms. The TV had an excellent picture and a large number of channels. My room was quiet, despite the fact that there were numerous groups with teenagers staying in the hotel. My room was an even numbered room on the top (10th) floor with a view of the beltway (what did I expect?).

As I was tired, it was very convenient that the hotel had a full bar and adjacent restaurant. The bar didn't advertise the fact that you could order from the restaurant menu, but I was able to do so, making it very convenient to watch a baseball game on their excellent ~55" HD TV while having my dinner. I particularly appreciated the bartender, who (1) advised against ordering the fried calamari and endorsed ordering the cobb salad, saying that it was large and probably sufficient, then (2) intercepted the chef's salad that was delivered, sending it back and insisting on what I had ordered. As a 'by the way', he was also personable throughout.

As I initially said, the room rate was within the $249 per diem level (at $132 and $160 respectively for the two nights), and about 1/3 of the "special conference rate at the Ritz. There are a number of appealing restaurants a block away, which I will likely try in the future, and the hotel was adequate in condition, cost, services and location near a Metro stop. I suspect I will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mellen401
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I am a business man, got invited to USPTO for attending the the 2014 National Inventors Hall of Fame ceremony. My company has booked the hotel for me and the room was guaranteed using my credit card. When my wife and I showed up at the front desk the front desk clerk told us that our room was not available because of the hotel was over-booked! The clerk offered us a room at a different hotel, which was far away from the event which we might not be able to attend! We asked for seeing the manager who never showed up. After standing at the front loby demanding to see the manager for bout half an hour, the clerk handed us the room keys! What an experience! and what on earth was the clerk was trying to do! Chasing the clients who had room guaranteed away to have a room for somebody else? I believe that this is not the policy of Holiday Inn, however, I would like the share my thoughts for some kind of correction, employee training. The incident was at the evening on May 20, 2014.

Room Tip: Need to have honest employees
Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank HopNTrip
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear HopNTrip,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your reservation. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R