“Friendly staff”

Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I spent two nights here as a nice quick getaway. Especially since I was not able to spend the holiday with my Boyfriend, we decided to stay here. We were greeted with warm smiles and everyone from the valet to the doorman to the lady who checked us in were all so nice.
We brought our dog with us and he was treated like a king! No breed or weight discrimination here!
We were surprised with an awesome upgrade, there was a Fuji soaking tub that was like a small pool, it was so cool and perfect. There was also a nice note from Olena as well in our room.
Unfortunately the weather wasn't good during our stay but it was a nice touch being able to make it to the complimentary wine hour to relax.
I highly suggest this property for the perfect getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the spa tub!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My son and I had a great stay at the Monaco. Both rooms were huge room with every conceivable detail attended to.Did not spend much time apary from the nights,but location is great and I can only recommend. The Jetsetter price was fantastic too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Baltimore County, MD
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Traveled with three other ladies to celebrate our birthday and this was the perfect hotel.

The staff was extremely friendly and reminded us many times about the complimentary wine happy hour (5-6 pm). The atmosphere is swanky! How great to feel as though you're spending a lot more money than you did (look into discounts offered too for AAA members etc.). The lobby was magnificent and the rooms did not disappoint - colorful, fun (leopard robes anyone), Bigelow soaps and lotions, great mini bar (cool stuff-thought of it all), mood lighting, spacious and very clean. And the radio to dock your iPod had good sound quality. And....we each received a box with two cupcakes and sparkling water as a thank you for celebrating our birthday with them. And the cupcakes were really, really good and not just for show.

The one hitch was one room of the three wasn't quite ready at check-in so they gave both ladies coupons for a drink at the bar. Very nice considering they both picked Lemon Drops which would have cost $13 each. They also took off the parking charge when they had a check-out glitch--and it was a minor glitch. Again, leave the customer feeling happy. And they did.

Complimentary coffee and tea is available each morning and while I cannot comment on the coffee, the tea offered is Mighty Leaf which is a very nice brand.

The hotel is a perfect location. We walked all around Old Town and on Saturday morning they had a wonderful farmers market.

I can't wait to experience another Kimpton Property!!

OH, and be sure to sign-up for their rewards program. It's free and when you check-in you get a credit of $10 for the mini-bar which is stocked with fun stuff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location, close to airport (free shuttle, too!) awesome decor, quiet rooms, neat bathrooms, nice amenities. No in-room coffee but you can request a Keurig and you will have in-room coffee.

Lacking a place to hang a hand towel near the bathroom sink.

Recent complimentary wine hour also included a hot oody station which I took advantage of. Also, morning coffee in the lobby included a hot chocolate station, so nice. Always stacks of various news papers for the reading in the lobby.

Had a feather problem when I requested a feather-free room and the manager handled the situation very well and followed up a few times via email. Made me feel good even though i didn't feel good from an allergy attack.

The courtyard area is really nice but they need ash trays as I saw a lot of cig butts laying around the ground in that area.

Room service breakfast was prompt and tasty. The server was very polite and sweet.

Jackson 20, the attached restaurant, is very good. Great happy hour and one can make a meal from an appetizer or two and a cocktail.

Love the mini bar selections but it's time to change it up a bit. Need a new kids book or stuffed animal, something recent.

I will return, as I always do.

Room Tip: Queen rooms are small but perfect for one guest.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Terriv
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel is a Kimpton Hotel and holds up to the four star rating. It's decorated as Monacos in other cities -- somewhat flamboyantly, lots of color and pattern. The rooms and bathrooms are comfortable and clean. Restaurant is nice -- food well-presented and tasty. Staff people were overall polite and helpful (although I'm not sure why the bellman couldn't open the door for us as we were dragging suitcases in last night in a snow storm -- but preferred to stay at his podium kibitzing with a coworker). And … I'll never stay here again. Why? There are photographs of Confederate Civil War soldiers in every room. (How relaxing is that?) When I asked about it at the hotel front desk, the young woman said, "That's because this is a historic building. There's a plaque outside." So … I went to investigate. And there is a plaque outside. Put up by the Sons and Daughters of Confederate Soldiers. Reading as follows: The Marshall House stood upon this site and within the building on the early morning of May 24, 1861 JAMES W. JACKSON was killed by federal soldiers while defending his property and personal rights… He was the first martyr to the cause of Southern Independence…" Seriously, Kimpton? In 2014, we're nostalgic about and still promoting this racist ideology?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank katthewolf
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear katthewolf,

Thank you for staying with us, and for your kind words regarding the staff. I'm sorry that the doorman were not attentive during that one instance mentioned however.

I regret that you were offended by the plaque that is posted on the corner of the building which the hotel resides in. As you mentioned this plaque was put up by an another organization, many years before Kimpton began operating a hotel here. There are many plaques erected throughout Old Town Alexandria commemorating different significant historical sites as the area is very rich in U.S. History.

The design of the rooms do include some of the pictures you mentioned, along with other historically significant items from the area, including chairs embroidered with a survey George Washinton did of the area at one point during his time here.

The outstanding team we have here is focused on providing excellent customer service with a personal touch that creates a great experience for all of our guests, I do hope that you will one day return and provide us the opportunity to serve you again.

Thanks again and take care,

Matt
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Convenient to all the shops and restaurants in Old Town Alexandria, the staff are amazing. Didn't eat in the hotel restaurant-there are just too many other places in the surrounding area. People who were just doing their evening walk down main street stopped in to the hotel just to look around and they were treated like hotel guests by the staff- everyone was so warm and inviting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I have noted the overall positive reviews. (heated pool, great decor, wonderful location, free wine & internet)...I have also read about some serious issues (cockroaches, subpar restaurant, business amenities, cramped quarters, aging equipment leading to unsanitary encounters, customer service & unauthorized charges)

My travels commence in Old Town for a client production meeting on March 17-19 (I run a Visual Media Boutique)...I will continue on to a different hotel brand in Washington, DC, March 19-21, for a National Newspaper Conference (I also publish 2 weekly community Newspapers).

I have not had the opportunity to stay @ the Monaco yet, but I post my review, based on my experience so far. I will continue to chronicle my Monaco (Kimpton) journey, on rating sites & in my publications, as it plays out.

I originally intended on booking 4 rooms (all single occupancy) @ the Monaco, for myself & my team. I agree that the customer service is, at most, average. Therefore, I have, so far, only booked 2 rooms & am on the fence about the other rooms. Here's why...

I was interested in getting a value, since I am paying for all rooms. It has been my experience, traveling the country, that I usually have an option of either 2-Doubles or 1 King (rarely Queen), in each class/tier/category. A choice of 1 or 2 beds has never affected cost, for me, in the past. Amenities usually determine fees. Regretfully, w/little concern or option from the representative, I was told that they only offer 2-Double beds in the most economical class/tier/category. This is not ideal for my situation, because, not only will there be just 1 person to a room, but I have team members as tall as 6'4". Imagine someone like that resting peacefully in a Double? It's fine if this is indeed Monaco's Hotel structure. However singles, couples or anyone that may just want 1 bed, w/out being nickled & dimed should then take note, especially when seeing advertised prices. I must now bring this to the attention of my taller team members & let them decide if another hotel will accommodate them better.

On to my next issue...When I mentioned that I saw the room advertised at a lower price, the agent immediately told me that what I saw was not a comparable room, therefore could not price-match & asked me if there was anything else, almost dismissive. It was clear that she was bringing our conversation to a close. If I did not insisted that she read me the room description & compare it to a lower priced advertisement, she would not have adjusted my bill by $40/room. Yes, it was indeed the EXACT same room after all.

So far, I have not had a great experience. I guess my encounters have not been the worst, so I will rate it average. I will keep my eyes open for all of the positive & negative things I read from others (listed above) & see where it goes from here.

To be continued...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear CiSHP,

Thank you very much for booking your two reservations with us so far, we are looking forward to providing you and your colleagues with a great experience! We would also love the opportunity to host all of you and become your hotel of choice in Old Town Alexandria.

I'm very sorry about the poor service you recieved in attempting to book all of these reservations and would like to offer my personal assistance. I can get everything set up for you according to your specifications and ensure that the team is well prepared for your arrival. Please email me at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com or call me at 703-842-2777 at your earliest convenience and I will take care of everything for you.

Thank you again and safe travels down on Monday!

Matt