“Hotel Monaco with Kids”

GreenLeadersGold level
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Hotel Monaco with Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We just finished a 7 night stay at the Hotel Monaco. It was my husband and I and our 3 kids (6, 7, and 9). We picked this hotel because of the great reviews and their kid friendly activities--more about that later. When all of their friends are heading south for spring break the kids needed lots of convincing that going to Washington DC was going to be really cool! Seeing pictures of this hotel helped!
Pros--
Rooms and lobby look just like the pictures do. No surprises there. Very funky--loved it!

Staff--doormen and housekeeping staff were wonderful. Requests were taken care of very quickly!

Location--wonderful. In the heart of Old Town. 1 mile to the Metro station. Great way to get some exercise in and you get to walk by neat shops and restaurants. We felt very safe--even at night. Free trolley is also available to take you to the metro station and around Old Town.

Rooms--comfortable. TV is important with kids and they have the Disney station--very important!

Pool--perfect size. Was very warm. 94 degrees the last night we were there. Lifeguard at the pool during pool hours--have never had that before!

Robes--animal print robes for all of us was very cool!

Cons--(many of these are not the hotels fault, just some of the problems encountered when traveling with 3 younger kids)

Fish--the website said you can have a goldfish in your room during your stay. Remember I was really selling this hotel to the kids and they were very excited about this. I asked for the fish when we checked in and she said they were out of them, but during our stay one would probably be available. Every day from returning from our adventures the kids would run to the room to check for the fish, but it never appeared.

Kids Happy Hour--many other reviewers mentioned the wine happy hour in the lobby from 5-6. This was very popular and the lobby was full! They also have a kids happy hour from 4-5. We never were able to attend that because we were out doing things all day and wouldn't get back until later--so they kids were always bummed about that. The hotel may want to think of changing that to later. I know as parent having something to do about 7pm to get them out of the room would be great.

Dive In Theatre--another kid friendly thing is a movie in the pool on Saturday night at 8pm. My kids were so excited for is--we had to rush back from DC to make this! How disappointing to have the movie be Swiss Family Robinson or some older movie and not to have any sound. The kids still enjoyed the warm pool but the movie was a bust.

Pool temps--I have mentioned how warm the pool is--94 degrees two of the nights we were there. But one day when it snowed, the pool was freezing. I think the sign said 82 or 84. I asked the life guard (very nice) and she said the pool is really effected by the weather outside, so colder cloudy day means a cold pool.

Room set up--we had the 2 double beds and were planning on getting a role away bed for one of the kids but were told we couldn't do that due to the fire code. Completely understandable, but a little frustrating, we made our own extra bed with the chair and other things in the room,and that became the "bed" that was fought over. :)

No microwave or "real" fridge--traveling with kids it is nice to have a fridge to store left overs and snacks. The mini bar was the fridge--took things out of it and used it, but small. Microwave would have been nice to reheat meals b/c youngest son eats almost nothing and is hungry 30 min. later. :)

Kimpton perks program--we were never asked when we checked in if we were members. I had signed up previous to our arrival. I forgot about it and went and told them the next day. Upon check in never mentioned wifi--no big deal, just glad I read about it.

Room location--our room was the very last room at the end of the hall right next to the housekeeping room and what sounded like lots of washing machines. Not sure if we were put here b/c they were anticipating loud kids (then they were right!!),or if these are rooms you get if you book thru Priceline. Really wasn't a big deal for us--we got used to the noises, but if it was just my husband and I the noise would have driven me crazy.

So overall, the Hotel Monaco was great. Would recommend it for a girls weekend and definitely for a couples get away. I don't know if I would do a week with the kids again--but not the hotels issue--just the nature of the 5 person family.

Thank you Hotel Monaco for a nice week.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank T K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I spent two nights here as a nice quick getaway. Especially since I was not able to spend the holiday with my Boyfriend, we decided to stay here. We were greeted with warm smiles and everyone from the valet to the doorman to the lady who checked us in were all so nice.
We brought our dog with us and he was treated like a king! No breed or weight discrimination here!
We were surprised with an awesome upgrade, there was a Fuji soaking tub that was like a small pool, it was so cool and perfect. There was also a nice note from Olena as well in our room.
Unfortunately the weather wasn't good during our stay but it was a nice touch being able to make it to the complimentary wine hour to relax.
I highly suggest this property for the perfect getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the spa tub!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My son and I had a great stay at the Monaco. Both rooms were huge room with every conceivable detail attended to.Did not spend much time apary from the nights,but location is great and I can only recommend. The Jetsetter price was fantastic too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Baltimore County, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Traveled with three other ladies to celebrate our birthday and this was the perfect hotel.

The staff was extremely friendly and reminded us many times about the complimentary wine happy hour (5-6 pm). The atmosphere is swanky! How great to feel as though you're spending a lot more money than you did (look into discounts offered too for AAA members etc.). The lobby was magnificent and the rooms did not disappoint - colorful, fun (leopard robes anyone), Bigelow soaps and lotions, great mini bar (cool stuff-thought of it all), mood lighting, spacious and very clean. And the radio to dock your iPod had good sound quality. And....we each received a box with two cupcakes and sparkling water as a thank you for celebrating our birthday with them. And the cupcakes were really, really good and not just for show.

The one hitch was one room of the three wasn't quite ready at check-in so they gave both ladies coupons for a drink at the bar. Very nice considering they both picked Lemon Drops which would have cost $13 each. They also took off the parking charge when they had a check-out glitch--and it was a minor glitch. Again, leave the customer feeling happy. And they did.

Complimentary coffee and tea is available each morning and while I cannot comment on the coffee, the tea offered is Mighty Leaf which is a very nice brand.

The hotel is a perfect location. We walked all around Old Town and on Saturday morning they had a wonderful farmers market.

I can't wait to experience another Kimpton Property!!

OH, and be sure to sign-up for their rewards program. It's free and when you check-in you get a credit of $10 for the mini-bar which is stocked with fun stuff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location, close to airport (free shuttle, too!) awesome decor, quiet rooms, neat bathrooms, nice amenities. No in-room coffee but you can request a Keurig and you will have in-room coffee.

Lacking a place to hang a hand towel near the bathroom sink.

Recent complimentary wine hour also included a hot oody station which I took advantage of. Also, morning coffee in the lobby included a hot chocolate station, so nice. Always stacks of various news papers for the reading in the lobby.

Had a feather problem when I requested a feather-free room and the manager handled the situation very well and followed up a few times via email. Made me feel good even though i didn't feel good from an allergy attack.

The courtyard area is really nice but they need ash trays as I saw a lot of cig butts laying around the ground in that area.

Room service breakfast was prompt and tasty. The server was very polite and sweet.

Jackson 20, the attached restaurant, is very good. Great happy hour and one can make a meal from an appetizer or two and a cocktail.

Love the mini bar selections but it's time to change it up a bit. Need a new kids book or stuffed animal, something recent.

I will return, as I always do.

Room Tip: Queen rooms are small but perfect for one guest.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Terriv
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel is a Kimpton Hotel and holds up to the four star rating. It's decorated as Monacos in other cities -- somewhat flamboyantly, lots of color and pattern. The rooms and bathrooms are comfortable and clean. Restaurant is nice -- food well-presented and tasty. Staff people were overall polite and helpful (although I'm not sure why the bellman couldn't open the door for us as we were dragging suitcases in last night in a snow storm -- but preferred to stay at his podium kibitzing with a coworker). And … I'll never stay here again. Why? There are photographs of Confederate Civil War soldiers in every room. (How relaxing is that?) When I asked about it at the hotel front desk, the young woman said, "That's because this is a historic building. There's a plaque outside." So … I went to investigate. And there is a plaque outside. Put up by the Sons and Daughters of Confederate Soldiers. Reading as follows: The Marshall House stood upon this site and within the building on the early morning of May 24, 1861 JAMES W. JACKSON was killed by federal soldiers while defending his property and personal rights… He was the first martyr to the cause of Southern Independence…" Seriously, Kimpton? In 2014, we're nostalgic about and still promoting this racist ideology?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank katthewolf
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear katthewolf,

Thank you for staying with us, and for your kind words regarding the staff. I'm sorry that the doorman were not attentive during that one instance mentioned however.

I regret that you were offended by the plaque that is posted on the corner of the building which the hotel resides in. As you mentioned this plaque was put up by an another organization, many years before Kimpton began operating a hotel here. There are many plaques erected throughout Old Town Alexandria commemorating different significant historical sites as the area is very rich in U.S. History.

The design of the rooms do include some of the pictures you mentioned, along with other historically significant items from the area, including chairs embroidered with a survey George Washinton did of the area at one point during his time here.

The outstanding team we have here is focused on providing excellent customer service with a personal touch that creates a great experience for all of our guests, I do hope that you will one day return and provide us the opportunity to serve you again.

Thanks again and take care,

Matt
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Convenient to all the shops and restaurants in Old Town Alexandria, the staff are amazing. Didn't eat in the hotel restaurant-there are just too many other places in the surrounding area. People who were just doing their evening walk down main street stopped in to the hotel just to look around and they were treated like hotel guests by the staff- everyone was so warm and inviting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business