The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
  • Room Service
US$276
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Old Colony Inn Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$137
HolidayInn.com
US$241
US$214
1,909 results
All reviewshotel monacowine houranimal print robesold town alexandriaking streeta pet friendly hotelattached restaurantmini barhappy hourcomplimentary winevalet parkingtorpedo factorythe location is perfectfew blocksfree trolleywonderful hotelfront desk staff
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We met a group of friends in Alexandria for a weekend adventure and the Hotel Monaco was a delight. Rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean, and we were treated like valued family members.
The rooms are all decorated very nicely. The lobby was small, but very comfortable. My only negative thought was it would be nice to have coffee available in the room.

Room Tip: Get a terrace room if at all possible! Very nice to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Normally I find Kimpton hotels to be among the best out there. Great atmosphere's, attentive staff, and generally really good service. Unfortunately, this property did not hit on any of these. First, upon arrival the valet was sitting inside reading the paper and did not come out to get the car as I was checking in. Second, upon checking in they did not have my intouch # despite the fact that I had reserved on the kimpton site. when I asked about it, i was told, "oh yeah, I found it, sorry we have a new system that has lots of glitches" and then told that it was too late for the "welcome amenity, but I will get it for you tomorrow (never came)". Third, Kimpton's are known for their restaurants, but the room service closed except for late night menu. i called down to get a ceasar salad and mac an cheese and was told it would be 45-50 minutes (wow). i said ok, 1 hour later I got a call saying that they had just found my order and it would be 45 minutes more!! I asked to speak to a manager who proceeded to tell me ever excuse "we got swamped, we only have one cook, we had a kitchen emergency (!), and it takes a while to make great food (late night salad?). But he did offer to comp me on it, 2 hours after I ordered it was delivered, and the mac and cheese was luke warm at best. All i got from the staff was excuses and no one solving anything. Ultimately a manager gave me a reduction in my room rate for 1 night. Final straw, I was charged for parking despite the fact it was included in the room package I had. that was cleared up, but what a terrible, non-kimpton like experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing away from the front of the building where the traffic noise is loudest
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I can’t say enough good things about this hotel! I was due to fly home from Reagan National but after hours of weather delays, the airline told me they couldn’t get me home until the following morning. I quickly looked up Kimpton’s Last Minute Offers for their properties in the DC/Alexandria area and found a great rate for the Monaco-Alexandria.

The hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport and offers complimentary shuttle service. They pick up guests at the airport on the half hour and drop off guests on the hour. There is also a metro stop a few blocks from the hotel that makes access to DC easy.

All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, including the front desk, bell staff, and shuttle drivers. When I got to my room I immediately heard a crying infant in the adjacent room. I called down to see if I could have a quieter room and was accommodated without hesitation. My room was so quiet and spotless. Rooms have large windows (with the exception of those on the 6th floor that have small dormer-style windows) and ample square footage. The work area was comfortable and the bathroom was incredibly spacious and tastefully designed.

The lobby area was very large and provided a lot of seating for guests to enjoy the wine hour. I opted to eat at the hotel’s restaurant, Jackson 20. It features a nice happy hour menu with discounted small bites, wine, well drinks, and micro brews. The staff were great—friendly and attentive. The food was okay. It was creatively approached, but everything was under seasoned. It was a good place to have on such a dreadfully wet and windy night, but I’m not sure I’d go there again for anything but drinks.

The hotel is located on King Street in the heart of Old Alexandria. It’s a short 4 blocks from the waterfront. Unfortunately, due to the weather I wasn’t able to explore the area but I hope to return soon to do just that.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is elegantly appointed, but in the most playful way - it's use of fun prints, patterns and colors everywhere you look is a refreshing welcome change from the "usual" chain hotels. The rooms are spacious, immaculately clean and filled with designer touches in the bedding fabrics, wall coverings and color palate. The bathroom is large and lush also. This hotel goes all out to be fun; for example, the robes are animal print the pool shows movies at night, you can watch and swim! How cool is that? The lobby is always full of activity and fun, from coffee and tea in the morning to the board games and candy in the afternoon, to the complimentary wine tastings in the early evening- there was something for everyone! I LOVE this place!

Room Tip: All good! Not a bad room that I could see. We were on the King Street side third floor and not bothered by traffic sounds!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KellyRedMom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed at the Monaco during our recent visit to Washington DC. We loved the location of this hotel in Alexandria. Close to so many great shops and restaurants. Easy walk to the metro to get to DC. The staff was super-friendly from the moment we arrived until the time of our departure. The valet service staff was very helpful. Since the garage at the hotel was full, they would valet our car for $25 a day with in and out services. Since we didn't need our car during this visit, they told us about the garage on PItt Street located below the courthouse, directly across the street from the Monaco. The rate at the garage was $13 a day, so we were told. We parked in the courthouse garage. On Sunday when we pulled out of the garage, our total for Friday to Sunday morning was $18. Can't beat that.
Even though the hotel itself was very busy and full, we were able to check-in early. We used the free King St. Trolley to get to the Metro station and toured the Air and Space Museum. When we returned, the hotel staff surprised our son with a cupcakes, cold fruit juice and a stuffed turtle in celebration of his 7th birthday.
We enjoyed the pool and breakfast at Jackson 20. We used the "Breakfast for $1 more" promotion. The continental breakfast was adequate for us, since we don't eat much in the morning. But the waitstaff said that they could apply a $7 credit to our breakfast bill if we preferred something off the breakfast menu. Loved the evening wine reception and our son loved the Kids' Hour from 4-5pm. Nice way to meet other guests.
The neighborhood around the hotel offered many excellent dining choices and shops. We hope to be back to DC soon and we will probably stay here again. Very convenient location and so much better than driving around the District.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family