“A Secret To The Best Deal On Parking”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester
“A Secret To The Best Deal On Parking”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just spent a great weekend in Old Town Alexandria at the Monaco. We had a beautiful room with a small balcony overlooking the courtyard. The Kimpton tradition of a happy hour for guests was a great welcome to the facility. The room was comfortable and spotless. Dinner at Jackson 20 was also excellent.

Room Tip: Why spend upwards of 10% of the room charge just to park your car? Drive one block over to Cameron...
Green Features: The only thing that comes to mind is that the welcome reception was so popular they had to resort toe plastic cups to serve the wine because they ran out of glasses.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Peoria Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed in a double room. The bathroom was wonderful. Beds were clean and very soft. The robs that were in our closet were a bit stiff but fun to wear all the same. The pool goes to about 5.5ft. there is a fitness room that was nice. The place has a wince tasting place in the lobby from 5-6 I didnt get to try this as i was always out and about. The room had a fully stocked mini bar and overall was just a great place. Although it did cost $27 a night to park my car.

Room Tip: Doesn't have a "free" breakfast has an attached resturant
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have to say this location is just perfect for a summer get away. Taking the walk up and down King street and reading some of the engraved stones with the historical facts of the buildings past is some what amazing. The hotel is attached to Jackson 20 where you can find some of the best cocktails Old Town has to offer. The menu has been well put together and they also have a very good knowledge of which cocktail or wine will match well with your meal. The room itself was clean however it reminded me of an Asian themed resort. The room had leopard and zebra robes in the closet which were a bit unsettling. There was also a lubrication kit in the room which I thought was just ridiculous. There is a CVS located across the street for those needs lol. The cleaning crew however who turn the rooms every morning could not have been sweeter and the entire hotel staff especially Pablo Martinez in Jackson 20 were amazing and made me feel like I was at home from check-in to check-out. I will refer many to this hotel for future stays.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nocona, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm not sure if our difficulties checking in were the fault of the hotel, or booking.com, but our first impression of this luxury hotel wasn't exactly wonderful...
We reserved a "deluxe queen" room, but when our bellman took us up to our room it turned out to be a double-double. My husband and I were on a romantic weekend getaway, so two double beds weren't going to work. The bellman called down to the desk, and they were able to get us a queen room but we had to wait almost an hour so we spent that precious time out of our short vacation twiddling our thumbs. When we finally got to our room, it was much smaller than expected, didn't have a chair (we had to sit on the bed), and the tv didn't work (my husband finally got the connections hooked up in the back and got it working himself). During the night (around 2 am), we were awakened by a party of young people outside our door, yelling and laughing for about a half hour. I finally had had enough and poked my head out the door and asked for a little consideration. All-in-all, it was a disappointing stay, and we probably won't try again.

Room Tip: Ask first if there is a wedding or party going on at the same time, then request a room far away fro...
1 Thank stingerjeep
DC
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave a review for the Monaco Alexandria, because I'd secretly like to keep this gem to ourselves. :-)

We came across it by chance, stranded at the wrong Hampton Inn (Hilton, it's not smart to have two places named Hampton Inn Alexandria - I was told we were not the first to book at the wrong place), and wanting to have a better DC experience for the second day/night of our rare weekend away.

The Monaco is located right in the heart of Old Alexandria, but gives you a feeling of being in a Moroccan dream from the moment you walk in the lobby. We hardly wanted to leave the room to go sightseeing - it was spacious and beautifully decorated, with a lovely terrace overlooking a courtyard. The pool was warm (so many hotels save on heat and have too cold pools, good decision, Monaco!), the restaurant next door was fun and hip and served generous portions, and the French bakery on the corner was a lovely experience for breakfast (and some yummy purchases before leaving for home). Returning from the National Gallery of Art, just a quick Metro ride away, we walked back into the lobby and were lucky enough to hit their complementary wine hour.

With just one day's stay, we didn't get to explore everything, but the Monaco will definitely be my preferred place to stay for any DC visit from now on.

The few negatives was that the staff, although friendly and helpful, seemed a little confused or overwhelmed at times. We were there on Memorial Day, and it was not posted outside the pool or explained when I called guest services that they were keeping weekend hours on Monday. Also, when I said that my key card didn't work to get into the pool, I was told 'it happens at times'. That doesn't really solve my problem... but I got a cleaning lady to let me in.

There was also an issue when I booked the room via phone the previous day - the CSR was going to sign me up for their loyalty program to get free internet at the hotel, but it seems this was never done. The hotel staff explained that I was supposed to get a number or code, which I never got, so we had to sign up again when we got there. Nothing major, just small snags that better training and management can fix.

Oh, and I think it would be nice with proper doors to the bathroom... and exhaust fans.

Room Tip: Terrace room is spacious and beautiful, overlooks quiet courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
French Lick, In
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Just got back from staying at the Monaco for five nights. It was wonderful. The staff, room and amenities were all great. The Location is spot on for those who love to walk. We didn't rent a car and walked everywhere easily. If you are not a walker there's a free shuttle that runs the whole length of King Street in Olde Towne. Our room was very large and we had a view of the park across the street...if you are there on a Saturday they have a very nice farmer's market in the park. I would have liked in room coffee but the coffee and tea in the lobby was nice. Great staff, always friendly and helpful.

Green Features: great.....they conserve which is great. They don't waste soap and we could reuse towels if not soiled etc.
toms river, nj
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Someone mentioned a bad odor in the Hotel, that was not the case at all....no odor anywhere.
It was nicely decorated, rooms clean, confortable and very attractive, bathrooms beautiful and the staff can't do enough for you, and it is resonably priced as hotels go. There's a nice restaurant and bar down stairs, a little on the high side but good. The location is perfect, right in the middle of quant & beautiful Old Town Alexandria. Parking is Valet $27/night but plenty of public parking in the area. Wonderful restaurants and stores all up and down King St. Theres a free trolly that runs up and down stopping every 2 blocks and running every 15-20 mins for your convenience. It goes from the Potamac River walk in one direction to the Metro system in the other ready to take you to DC. No problem recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: I understood the fifth floor in one area is loud at times with the AC running on the roof...I avoide...