“Eclectic Property”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Hotel decor is gorgeous. Happy to find coffee in the lobby, water during the day and wine in the evening. Nice perks. Room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable. Lucky to have no dogs on our floor (6th) and it was very quiet. Jackson 20 was great for brunch!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2Ready2Retire
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear 2Ready2Retire,

Thank you for this great review! Really glad you enjoyed the stay, and the complimentary coffee and wine of course!

Take care and hope to see you again soon,

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,841)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel is located right in the heart of Alexandria, Virginia a great town with plenty of restaurants and shopping. Perfect for visiting DC and surrounding areas. Hotel is very quaint and really nice, love the rooms. Price was much cheaper than DC hotels. Certainly would stay here again. Drove to Mt. Vernon, Arlington and DC every day was only 10-15 minutes to all places. Only negative was the front desk was not very helpful. Needed a shuttle to Amtrak 1-1/2 miles from the hotel but was told they only go to the arport..5 miles away. When I needed a shuttle from the airport they told me to take a cab and they would reimburse. Nice free happy hour every evening and free coffee and water in the morning. We absolutely loved Alexandria a great place with lots of good restaurants, shopping and free trolley. Every evening we would walk to dinner and explore the area.

Room Tip: We had three rooms all were nice
2  Thank ddoyle17

Dear ddoyleTulsa_OK,

If I may, I think you did a great job describing the location and ease of getting around from here! Thanks!

I do apologize for the lack of service from the Front Desk however, this has been addressed and we will definitely work on our consistency.

Hope to see you again soon!

Matt

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is located in the heart of Alexandria in a beautiful old building. The lobby and rooms are whimsically-decorated and my girls loved "Bob" the fish that was waiting in the room. We had a terrace room with a small balcony, which was nice. The service was wonderful. The employees were attentive without being overbearing. Our room included a free breakfast and the restaurant food was wonderful. We also were given $10 to spend in the mini bar in our room.

My only complaint is that this hotel is overwhelmingly "pet friendly." There are dogs everywhere and the pet owners are not considerate of those of us who don't exactly love dogs -- or are trying to sleep. There was a dog a few doors down from us that wouldn't stop barking, a dog in the elevator not being held back on his leash and dogs all over the lobby.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank momtotwingirls
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A colleague and I recently stayed at this property while attending a training class. First, this was my colleague's first trip to the DC area and her first stay at a Kimpton Hotel. She was truly looking forward to it. Her first impression... scary! They put her in a room with very small windows. I urged her to ask the front desk to move her. Unfortunately the hotel was booked and she had to sleep in that room one night. Needless to say, she did not get any sleep.

The hotel is very dark and feels a bit spooky, even to me. They need to brighten up the place. My room was nice, however, the A/C unit woke me up every time it cycled on and off. :( Not good!

The bartender at the restaurant was rude and flat out looked at us and did not take our drink order and proceeded to serve other customers.

Overall, I will not go back. Oh... if you don't like dogs... STAY AWAY. There were some pretty big dogs staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to book at Superior King or higher.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Ms-Etiquette
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just spent a great weekend in Old Town Alexandria at the Monaco. We had a beautiful room with a small balcony overlooking the courtyard. The Kimpton tradition of a happy hour for guests was a great welcome to the facility. The room was comfortable and spotless. Dinner at Jackson 20 was also excellent.

Room Tip: Why spend upwards of 10% of the room charge just to park your car? Drive one block over to Cameron...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed in a double room. The bathroom was wonderful. Beds were clean and very soft. The robs that were in our closet were a bit stiff but fun to wear all the same. The pool goes to about 5.5ft. there is a fitness room that was nice. The place has a wince tasting place in the lobby from 5-6 I didnt get to try this as i was always out and about. The room had a fully stocked mini bar and overall was just a great place. Although it did cost $27 a night to park my car.

Room Tip: Doesn't have a "free" breakfast has an attached resturant
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have to say this location is just perfect for a summer get away. Taking the walk up and down King street and reading some of the engraved stones with the historical facts of the buildings past is some what amazing. The hotel is attached to Jackson 20 where you can find some of the best cocktails Old Town has to offer. The menu has been well put together and they also have a very good knowledge of which cocktail or wine will match well with your meal. The room itself was clean however it reminded me of an Asian themed resort. The room had leopard and zebra robes in the closet which were a bit unsettling. There was also a lubrication kit in the room which I thought was just ridiculous. There is a CVS located across the street for those needs lol. The cleaning crew however who turn the rooms every morning could not have been sweeter and the entire hotel staff especially Pablo Martinez in Jackson 20 were amazing and made me feel like I was at home from check-in to check-out. I will refer many to this hotel for future stays.