“Great Hotel!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Plattsburgh, New York
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First time to Alexandria with the family. Had an absolutely fabulous stay at the Hotel Monaco. Perfect location in the heart of "old town." Easy access to the Mount Vernon Trail system for running/biking. Short metro ride to DC. Great indoor pool for the kids. Great "free wine" happy hour every afternoon for the parents! No complaints at all. Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the DC area. All employees were unbelievably friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you aren't traveling with a dog, request one of the "dog-free" floors. (we stayed...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear sportsdoc3,

Thank you for bringing the family and for sharing your comments here! Glad that you enjoyed the complimentary wine hour and that the kids took advantage of our indoor pool as well, hopefully they were around on a Saturday night to enjoy our Dive-in movie!

Take care and safe travels,

Matt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I always try to stay at Kimpton locations. They are all lovely and unique, and the service is always excellent. The Monaco in Alexandria was no exception.

We stayed in a lovely terrace room (this is a step up, pricewise, from the basic room). We enjoyed the small balcony and had room service deliver breakfast one morning, which we ate outside. This was very convenient- we filled out our request the night before, left it on the door, and were served promptly as requested. Price for the full breakfast (eggs, hash browns, toast, bacon, etc.) was reasonable considering it was room service, and everything was very good.

The room itself was gorgeous. I loved the bathroom. The shower was also good- good water pressure and temperature throughout our stay, an area that many hotels fail miserably in! The bed was well-appointed and very comfortable. Sleep quality was great.

The complementary wine hour from 5-6pm is a nice treat. We had some wine that we thought was quite good.

Front desk staff were courteous and helpful as expected.

The hotel offers a 50% off parking promotion for driving a hybrid vehicle, which we took advantage of.

The location is another great feature of this hotel- walking distance to many nice restaurants, the fountain on King St., the waterfront, ice cream parlors, etc. One caveat here- the walk to the metro is about 15 minutes, and in the heat, I didn't enjoy the walk. The King St. trolley is free and there is a stop just across the street from the hotel- take that to the metro if you can. It doesn't run before 10am, however.

We were not travelling with our pet, but enjoyed seeing other peoples' dogs during our stay. We did have one dog-related incident, however it was handled quite graciously by the staff. Somehow, some dog excrement ended up on our balcony halfway through our stay. I'm not sure if a small dog from a room closeby got through (the balconies are separated by a hard fabric partition, but there is a little space around the sides) or if someone swept it into our porch as they didn't want to clean it up themselves. We may never know! However, we discretely informed the front desk, and they of course had it cleaned up and even left us a nice baked treat and note. I appreciate that the staff was able to handle the situation quickly and with a sense of humor!

Great hotel.. highly recommended!

Green Features: Green Key certified hotel, something we look for and appreciate! Waste is composted. Discount is given for driving/parking a hybrid vehicle.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msmileyface
Dear msmileyface,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad we lived up to the high Kimpton standards as well!

I am sorry about the incident on your terrace that morning, but thankful that the team was able to handle it quickly and gracefully.

Thank you for all the great comments here, we are very appreciative of your business!

Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Even though I was staying on business, my stay was extremely comfortable. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is located in the middle of King Street which is full of history and shopping. Nightly happy hour with wine tasting is also a plus! It is a pet friendly hotel and does not smell like pets at all. I would definitely stay here again for a personal trip!

Room Tip: If you would like full windows, do not stay on the 6th floor. Being inside an old building allows f...
Green Features: The food provided by the hotel for the meetings I attended was fresh and local. Always a plus when staying out of town.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 1982lisadee
Dear 1982lisadee,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent business trip! Really appreciate it, and the fact that you took the time to share these great comments here.

Safe travels, and please come back soon!

Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We traveled with our 6 and 9 year olds. They loved it because they were provided a pet goldfish during their stay. They loved all the dogs at Happy Hour in the lobby. We enjoyed Happy Hour and the free wine and relaxed atmosphere. The pool was very quiet and retro looking. The courtyard was pleasant and historic. The restaurant next door had a good breakfast menu and the Hotel staff accommodated us by providing some breakfast vouchers. The location is the best part. Right within historic Old Alexandria, all restaurants, ice cream parlours and shops are all within close proximity.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear J R M,

Glad you and the family had such a good time, thank you for staying with us!! The location does work out really well for families on vacation here, as you noted. I hope that you all got to do everything on your list while you were in town!

Take care,

Denton, Maryland
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at Monaco Alexandria for a small conference. Wonderful decor - lots of interesting patterns and pieces. Many reviews mention the rooms being small but mine was on the large side with a very nice bathroom. Great details in the room such as an umbrella, which came in handy one evening, and a device with outlets beside the bed. (I was thrilled not to have to move the nightstand or mattress to plug in my phone and iPad.) There were even two tiger print robes in the closet. All the staff I encountered were polite, friendly, and helpful. Everything to do with the conference went smoothly. Food served was very good.

Big kudo - I called down to valet parking to say I'd left my glasses in my car. They asked if I preferred them bringing the car around or let them get them and bring them to the room. I chose the latter and within 10 minutes, a staff member delivered them to my door. Very impressive!

Only one negative: I got room service breakfast one morning and it was pretty bad. Eggs and bacon were barely warm and undercooked, toast was cold, butter was frozen, hash browns were greasy. Because the earliest i could get it delivered was 8:00-8:15, and my meeting was 8:30, I did not send it back.

With only one problem that could have been remedied if I'd had the time, and so many plusses, I would definitely stay there again.

Green Features: I was very surprised to find they offered half price valet parking for hybrid cars!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandi B
Dear Sandi B,

Thank you for staying with us for your meeting, and for taking the time to write this review here!

It is great to hear that you will come back and that you enjoyed the hotel so much. I am sorry for the poor quality of the room service breakfast that morning, I will share your feedback with our chef and In-Room Dining team.

Thanks again and take care,

Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

You can't beat staying the very heart of Old Town, Alexandria. The location is ideal. The staff is friendly, professional and always helpful. They even have a doggy ambassador to greet you at the front desk!

The rooms are stylish and comfortable. The morning coffee and afternoon wine reception are wonderful. The Jackson 20 restaurant offers fun, delicious Southern fare. This is a fantastic reinvention of a hotel that I've been returning to all my life. It's my favorite place to stay in Old Town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear zeldawannabe,

You can't beat great guests either! Thanks for spreading the word about us, we really appreciate it!!

Glad you had a great experience, we hope to see you again soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed away from DC and drove or took the transit to the monuments. This place is a little above average. No real complaints. You will like the location. Nice place for a couple of nights. Would probably stay in DC next time to be close to sightseeing. Lots to do in Alexandria if you want the quiet zone. Front door staff is nice. Front desk could be more engaging. Rooms are small but do the job. Pillows and mattress could be better.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
Green Features: its pet friendly. Parking across the hotel is reasonable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zeeremtulla
Dear zeeremtulla,

Thank you for choosing us as your option outside of the city, we really appreciate your business and hopefully the travel downtown was smooth and easy for you.

I'm sorry that the Front Desk staff did not make a good connection with you, I have shared this feedback with them so that they can gain from it.

We do hope that you will try us again in the future!