“Quaint colonial inn at the center of old alexandria”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
connecticut
“Quaint colonial inn at the center of old alexandria”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Birthday overnight for two. Check in greeting from valet and bellman was quick and attentive . Room was not ready but proximity to central shopping and pubs made it no problem.

Corner room on top floor nicely appointed , although the claim of a fireplace is " technically " true, but it was inoperable, so.........
Bed, linens and electronics all newer and nice.
Note the hotel is pet friendly, and our afternoon was punctuated by the incessant barking of the dog left alone by the morally bankrupt folks in room 506.

Did not eat at the hotel but hand drinks in the bar crafted with considerable pride by the bartender.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank networkConnecticut
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear networkConnecticut,

Thanks for celebrating your birthday with us! I'm sorry that we aren't able to offer operating fireplaces and the fact that they are decorative was not better conveyed to you. We appreciate your comments about our staff and hope that we will see you again next year, if not before!

Kate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
so. cal
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed here with my 50lb aussie shepherd dog for several nights. It was a fantastic experience all around - the location is great for walking the Old Town, the hotel is elegant and comfortable, my room was everything I had hoped for, and my pet and I were treated wonderfully. This was my first introduction to the Kimpton Hotel line - and I'm completely hooked. I thought I had written this review last year, but somehow I can't find it and after a magnificent stay at the Kimpton Vero Beach Hotel & Spa where I mentioned the Morrison House, I wanted to make sure my review was showing up here as well. I challenge any pet owner to find a more pet-friendly luxury hotel for a "larger than 30lbs" 4-legged family member. The cleanliness, extra pet amenities and overall positive experience is greatly appreciated! I'm totally hooked!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear CTshorewithdogs,

Tahnks so much for the glowing review! We're glad to have you share your story, no matter when you stayed. Just make sure not to wait too long to visit us again soon, along with your four-legged family!

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The Morrison is a lovely, intimate inn with warm, accommodating staff. My waiter at breakfast was a fountain of knowledge about the history of the area, and gave me some great tips on sites to include in my walking tour. The location is perfect, not touristy - halfway between the Potomac and King St Metro Station, with good restaurants nearby. I debated between this Kimpton and its two sister hotels, and am so glad I booked the Morrison. Some of the rooms looked a tad cozy, but mine (#301) was large and sunny. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nubusniesstrvlr
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear nubusinesstrvlr,

We're glad you chose us too! We look forward to welcoming you back and sharing even more insider local tips on your next visit.

Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here during a recent work trip. The customer service and warmth of this hotel are amazing! The best way to describe it is that you feel "cared for" and "welcome." The decor is beautiful. You feel like you're staying at a fancy inn. There is a nice sitting room and library off the lobby where they serve coffee/tea/hot chocolate in the morning and complimentary wine in the evenings. Guests mingle and visit with one another. The rooms are very well appointed and somewhat smaller than a typical hotel room The bed was very comfortable. If you are a kimpton rewards member, you received complimentary internet in your room. They also give you a $10 gift card to raid your mini bar or get a drink at the lobby bar. This is a nice touch. They don't have a gym on property, but you are permitted to use the gym at the gym at the kimpton a few blocks away for free. If you're a runner, there are plenty of great routes right out the door. It is also in a fabulous location. I had a spare couple of hours and thoroughly enjoyed visiting the many shops along King street. I can recommend this one with confidence!

Room Tip: I was in room 4002, which was lovely...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank estabrks
Dear estabrks,

We're blushing from such a glowing review! Please come back in the spring when the trails are even prettier, the shopping even more enjoyable, and the dining even more al fresco. We may not still have hot chocolate in the morning, but we might be able to surprise you with something new!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 20 February 2014

From the moment we picked up our luggage and called for the hotel shuttle until the shuttle left us off at the airport five days later, everything was perfect. This is such a friendly hotel. The location is perfect as there is much to do nearby. We will definitely be back. Thanks Kate (the manager) for all your kindness!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elizabeth T,

Perfection is what we strive for, and I am so glad to hear it was achieved! We cannot wait to welcome you back, and congrats again to the family. We can't wait to see the pictures!

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The level of service at this hotel is the equal of hotels many times more expensive than the Morrison House. From a telephone call telling us that we had left a garment bag in car (and would we like it brought up from the garage) to giving us the option of an upgraded room near the elevator or a quieter standard room at the end of a corridor, there was an unobtrusive and professional level of attention paid to us during our visit. The hotel is just 50 yards from King Street, the main restaurant and shopping street in Old Town Alexandria, along which runs a free trolley that can take you either to the Metro train and thus into DC or to the waterfront. The room was nicely furnished, a decent size, and the bathroom immaculate. There is a beautiful lounge on the first floor, with complimentary coffee in the morning. The bartender knows what he is doing and although some people might not care for the piano music, it was fine with us. One thing missing is a fitness center, but apparently there are arrangements with local gyms available. One reason we prefer to stay in Alexandria rather than DC is that in DC hotels it's hard to avoid the sound of police and ambulance sirens at night wherever you stay, whereas Alexandria is relatively quiet. We would stay again at this property without hesitation.

Room Tip: Get a room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dannykent,

Thank you for your kind comments of our staff. It is this level of service that you experienced that has kept us as a local favorite for many years! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have been a regular customer at the Morrison House since 1997. Although I am a native to the DC Area, I live in Ohio. I am at the hotel about six-twelve nights a year. If you know the DC area you know that it is a veritable snarl of traffic. Staying at Morrison House is a respite from the chaos with 1) easy access to the Metro 2) close proximity to downtown DC and National Airport, not to mention the Pentagon -- much better than fighting the beltway or 395. 3) Excellent Prices/Value given the superior service and cleanliness of the hotel 4) Perfect spot in Old Town for sight-seeing, having a weekend get-away or going to Mt. Vernon. The staff goes out of their way to be kind and considerate. They are known to provide extra help if you are in a crisis and to make your stay peaceful when everything else seems chaotic. You will love the rooms and the clean, white bedding. I suffer from allergies and Morrison House keeps things up to standards that make it a good place to stay for me. I should also mention that the hotel is beautiful, elegant and the food is delectable. If you haven't been here you should go -- you will love it!!! Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great! It's a quiet location.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pipercub2012
Dear Piperclub2012,

Thank you so much for your continued loyalty to Morrison House. I'm so glad to hear that after all these years our team still provides you with a kind, comfortable experience. We appreciate you spreading the great news! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly next time you are coming to town if I can be of any assistance.