“Elegant and Comfortable”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Elegant and Comfortable”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I love Morrison House. The staff is welcoming and friendly, the interiors are elegant and comfortable, and the food is very good. The early evening reception is a great opportunity to meet other guests and sit and talk while nibbling on grilled french bread topped with various treats and sipping a nice white or red wine. The van service to and from Reagan National is pleasant and convenient. I was on a lower floor but my room was perfectly quiet. I had a corner room, so I wondered if I'd hear traffic or street noise on one side or the other, but blissful silence ruled.

The hotel is wonderfully convenient to the shops and restaurants of Old Town, and within walking distance to so much. I left rested and happy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Tom M,

Morrison House loves you! We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Old Town with us. Remember us next time you are ready for a little R&R.

Kate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Morrison House is perfectly located in the middle of Old Town Alexandria, midway up and down King St. This property, one of the three owned by Kimpton in Alexandria, is a classic Federal style building with corresponding furnishings in both the public and private rooms. All of the staff make it very clear that they want your stay to be as pleasant as possible--whatever you need or want is yours for the asking. As a member of Kimpton (just sign up and receive newsletters and deals if you want), we received a weekend special that was significantly below their rack rate so then it was an extra special treat. All of Kimpton's properties are "pet-friendly" but we, sans pets, requested a pet-free room which they keep on a separate floor from all the others. I was concerned about a possible cacophony of barking dogs, but I heard not a single one, and when I asked they said that they are very serious about keeping on the owners to keep their pets inline to not bother others; so it seems to work for everybody. Kimpton has many other properties around the country that I am looking forward to trying as well for a hopefully similar experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cliff F
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Cliff,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the perfect Kimpton experience our staff strive to provide. We're sure to have some more deals over the summer, so please stayed tuned and we will look forward to welcoming you back!

Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We lucked into a stay at this lovely property by way of the Hotel Monaco (an overbooking situation). Normally I would have been very put out with this inconvenience but the staff at both hotels could not have been more accommodating and helpful. Location is excellent, close to upscale shopping and a variety of restaurants - within walking distance. Convenient on site parking which is hard to come by in and around King Street. We enjoyed a suite with lovely sitting room, nice size bedroom and adjoining bath. Accommodations were updated, bedding luxurious and top shelf amenities. The piano bar was a nice surprise and offered a variety of entertainment. Complimentary wine hour and coffee/tea in the mornings a plus. We will return when in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Travelmom29,

So glad that you happened upon us and we were in the right place at the right time to help. We'd love to welcome you back (on purpose this time!) so please let me know when you will be in the area again. Wine hour happens daily, and we host the piano bar on Tuesdays and Saturdays, so come on by!

Shamong, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Morrison House is a beautiful hotel. The location is perfect. Go right out the front door and you are in Old town. Lots of shops and restaurants.
The rooms are small but well appointed. If you want to stay somewhere outside the city of DC with charm and sophistication this is the place.

Room Tip: The rooms with the king size beds are below ground level but we did not feel closed in. There is a w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cheryl G
Dear Cheryl G,

We are so glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and that you were able to appreciate all Old Town has to offer just Like us Locals. Spring has finally sprung so come back and visit us in full bloom!

Cheers,

Southern Shores, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We love staying here, quick walk to all the shops. Very nice having valet service. bellman, is always on top of everything. My only disappointment was that they have open mic with the piano on Saturday night instead of Friday night, so we missed the big show. We would have had breakfast on Saturday morning, but they did not open till 8 am, we are early risers and had to hit the road early to get home. I would think 7 am would be better.

Room Tip: Make sure you hit the Piano Bar.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank john b
Dear john b,

Thank you for the five star reviews! Hopefully you will come back again soon and allow us the opportunity to earn back that last star on the overall rating. When you are ready to stay with us next time, please reach out to me directly and let me know what we can do to make that happen!

connecticut
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Birthday overnight for two. Check in greeting from valet and bellman was quick and attentive . Room was not ready but proximity to central shopping and pubs made it no problem.

Corner room on top floor nicely appointed , although the claim of a fireplace is " technically " true, but it was inoperable, so.........
Bed, linens and electronics all newer and nice.
Note the hotel is pet friendly, and our afternoon was punctuated by the incessant barking of the dog left alone by the morally bankrupt folks in room 506.

Did not eat at the hotel but hand drinks in the bar crafted with considerable pride by the bartender.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank networkConnecticut
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear networkConnecticut,

Thanks for celebrating your birthday with us! I'm sorry that we aren't able to offer operating fireplaces and the fact that they are decorative was not better conveyed to you. We appreciate your comments about our staff and hope that we will see you again next year, if not before!

so. cal
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed here with my 50lb aussie shepherd dog for several nights. It was a fantastic experience all around - the location is great for walking the Old Town, the hotel is elegant and comfortable, my room was everything I had hoped for, and my pet and I were treated wonderfully. This was my first introduction to the Kimpton Hotel line - and I'm completely hooked. I thought I had written this review last year, but somehow I can't find it and after a magnificent stay at the Kimpton Vero Beach Hotel & Spa where I mentioned the Morrison House, I wanted to make sure my review was showing up here as well. I challenge any pet owner to find a more pet-friendly luxury hotel for a "larger than 30lbs" 4-legged family member. The cleanliness, extra pet amenities and overall positive experience is greatly appreciated! I'm totally hooked!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear CTshorewithdogs,

Tahnks so much for the glowing review! We're glad to have you share your story, no matter when you stayed. Just make sure not to wait too long to visit us again soon, along with your four-legged family!

Cheers,