“Like staying in a gracious home”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This mansion-like hotel manages to achieve a sense of intimacy foreign to most luxury hotels. The ground floor features a number of well-appointed sitting rooms, with coffee and newspapers available all day, as well as a bar and restaurant (which we didn't try). Our room was comfortable if not overly spacious; what we saw of our friends' suite was impressive. Location, in Old Town, couldn't be better, and you'll have a plethora of dining and drinking choices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Gerald,

We are so thankful for your gracious review! I am so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the common areas of the hotel. Please do return to join us for dinner and to meet our wonderful bartenders. We all look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband booked four king size rooms in mid-April for four nights directly with the hotel. Specifically stated that we had read that some rooms looked up from the window in the room to the street and was promised that this would NOT be the case with our reservations. Absolutely no mention was made that the rooms above the basement were the "deluxe" rooms and were priced a few dollars more per night. Subsequently three other couples were unable to make the trip and their rooms were cancelled. When we arrived at the Morrison House we were taken DOWN from the Lobby to our room and looked up through the window to the street. Went to the desk and requested an upgrade to a room "with a view" which we were promised and were told these were "deluxe" rooms and none were available. There definitely is something wrong with a hotel such as Kimpton providing better accommodations to guests willing to pay top dollar than for guests with pets. Plus as an aside, the air conditioner was incredibly loud making sleep quite difficult.

We are vehemently disgusted when we are not told the truth as with this experience with the Morrison House, and Kimpton Hotels will NEVER be considered for any of our future trips.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James E

Dear James,

I am terribly sorry to hear of the confusion with your reservation and even more dissapointed that we were unable to have an upgraded room available for you during your stay. I assure you that there was no deliberate misrepresntation and do wish that you try to give us another chance. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any future assistance.

kellis@morrisonhouse.com

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Charming and friendly staff,very convenient to shopping and resteruants,and only mins from Washington DC. Pet friendly they had treats waiting for Winston
We loved the piano bar ,a little disappointed with the food but the staff made up for it by being so friendly, but every time I go to Washington or Virginia I stay at the Morrison House, I love this place .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bosohoft and Winston,

We were so pleased you chose to stay with us. We'll be ready, with treats in hand for you both, when you are next back to VA or DC!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This makes my top five of best places I have ever stayed. Quiet. Rooms that reflect the charm and spirit of old town Alexandria. And the staff who really made me feel at home. They were attentive without being intrusive. A true art. Highly recommend you book here. A special thank you to Wakiita who was an angel.

Room Tip: Loved 502 which was like being in a treehouse.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Joyce,

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I agree that Wakita and all of our staff truly make the difference that put us at the top. Please do come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We have stayed at the Morrison House in Alexandria, Va 4 times in the last year.
It is so lovely, like our home away from home. The staff make us feel welcome and appreciated.
The rooms are fully equipped with everything we need. Coffee is served in the morning, fruity water during the day and wine in the evening.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding while you are there and ask for a different floor. We like a high floor a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear bosredsoxfans,

Thank you for continuing to choose Morrison House for your visits to Old Town. I sincerely appreciate that you keep coming back time after time, even outside of the MLB season! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Checked in and was told that the only room available (at a premium price) was in the basement level. The tiny elevator took me down to the subterranean level, where the carpet was old and stained, and the entire floor smells like a recent flood. The furniture is like a 1980's Sheraton, complete with chocolate brown toilet and tub. This is gross - shouldn't be in the Kimpton family. Staff is pleasant though, which is nice.

Room Tip: Try to stay on an upper floor - it must be better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank J P
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear J P,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you werent satisfied with the decor of your room. Our staff prides itself on service and cleanliness and I assure you that we strive to provide this to every guest that walks through our doors. I would be happy to personally assist you with your next booking to find something that best fits your requests if you would like to call me directly at the hotel.

Cheers,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have been coming to the Morrison House over the years and have slowly watched it go downhill. The last time I was there I was put in the basement. There was mold on the walls and the place smelled. When I alerted them to this...they said there were no more rooms and that since I have applied the AAA discount...that I was not eligible for a better room.
She BLAMED ME for the bad room............hence......I asked for the AAA rate!
I will never go back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Pennygizmo

Dear Pennygizmo,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay back in September Thank you for sharing the feedback with us so we can continue to improve. When you are ready to come back to Morrison House I would be happy to personally oversee the details for your reservation with your AAA discount and a great room if you'd please contact me directly at the hotel.

I hope to hear from you soon,