“The Morrison House- A Great Stay In Alexandria”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Barrie, Canada
“The Morrison House- A Great Stay In Alexandria”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Morrison House for the 4th of July holiday and couldn't have been happier with our experience. The hotel is situated in a beautiful Federal Style mansion in a quiet corner of Old Town Alexandria. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the King Street Metro Station or a $5 cab ride. From there, Washington is an easy 10 minute subway ride on either of two lines.
Although there is no 24 tea or coffee service, the staff were only too happy to accomodate my wife with a late night cup of hot tea.
The king room was a little tight but nicely furnished in period style pieces and the bathroom was more than adequate with double sinks in a marble countertop.
There are many quaint restaurants all within easy walking distance of the hotel. There is a wonderful bakery a mere 2 minute walk from the hotel at the corner of King and Alfred streets that opens early for that first coffee or tea of the day with a wonderful selection of breads, sandwiches and pastries.
We'd definitely recommend a stay at the Morrison House if you are looking for a quiet, quaint visit and staff whom indulge their guests.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Indiana
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed at the Morrison House in Alexandria, VA 7/1/10-7/4/10. The staff was friendly and attentive. The room was beautiful and clean, as was the bathroom. When I made the reservations, I signed up to be a Kimpton Hotel In Touch member to take advantage of some cool perks. Each night we had turn down service and a bucket of ice ready for our use. Kimpton Hotels does its part to be a friendly hotel - eco friendly, pet friendly, and very people friendly. We did not have a chance to take advantage of The Grille, the Morrison House restaurant, but as we relaxed with a glass of wine in the front garden, we saw plenty of people come to dine, dressed for an evening out. The menu did look divine. All in all we were so impressed with the folks and accommodations at the Morrison House, that we decided when we travel we will first look to see if there is a Kimpton Hotel anywhere in the area we are staying. It was such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2010

This wonderful little gem is tucked away in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. The staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. Complimentary afternoon tea on the day of our arrival was a welcome treat. Rooms were cozy and clean. Beds were absolutely perfect! My wife and I are ready to come back as soon as time permits.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
alexandria, va
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I stayed at the Morrison House on a Friday night with my mother as we were stopping in to tour the hotel for my upcoming wedding. I signed the contract sight-unseen - and upon stepping foot in the hotel, was absolutely floored by how lovely and accommodating the staff was. (We did not even disclose until after check in that we were in town to scout it for my wedding.) They offered to deliver glasses of wine to our room (which they did with a smile!) We were greeted with cookies and a handwritten note on our bed. Not to mention, as part of the Kimpton InTouch program (free rewards program to join) - we received free internet and a voucher for $10 worth of minibar items. We were treated like royalty all weekend by every level of staff and truly felt special upon departing. I left feeling so positive about my upcoming wedding and immediately started sharing my positive experience with family and friends as they book rooms for the wedding. I even received a follow up email after filling out a survey from the General Manager. Personal touches like these are bound to keep this hotel a favorite of many travelers.

I would say the only drawback is that parking was $24/day - which, for unlimited in/out privileges and valet service, is a steal - but not always affordable for folks that might be trying to travel on a budget (fortunately, the Metro is close / accessible by bus/walking) so that might not matter. Rooms are on the smaller side - as the hotel itself is small, but it is charming. If traveling with young ones - I would recommend the Hotel Monaco down the street for a bit more space. Finally - the beds are very tall which can be tough if you have older/less mobile guests, but the staff kindly brought a step stool for us after we requested one. (Again, with a smile.)

Thanks to the Morrison House for a lovely stay. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

• Stayed June 2010
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Dear Jdemaree,

On behalf of the Morrison House I wanted to write you to thank you for sharing your recent experience at our property with us and other travelers. We are truly thrilled that you chose the Morrison House for your wedding and I’m glad that your visit as “secret shopper” met your and my high expectations. I’m fortunate to lead a team that truly cares about each and every guest. Taking care of our guest is not only our job as more so our passion. We are very proud of the long history of the Morrison House and we can’t wait to welcome you back. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to make you and your guest’s upcoming trip extra special.

Respectfully,

Tobias Arff
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 21 June 2010

It was a great place and they treat you like King's and Queens!!!! You are greeted anytime of the day Mr. & Mrs. lastname. Awesome staff. Highly reccommended.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank fairwind716
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 June 2010
Dear Fairwind716,

On behalf of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I also truly appreciate your feedback about our team. They're a very special group of people.

We want to be the best loved hotel in Alexandria. If there’s any additional feedback you have on how we can continue work toward that goal simply contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with me. Thank you again and I hope we see you soon.

Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The Morrison house is in a great location. The staff is outstanding. But be sure you understand about the type of room you will be getting when you book your reservation.
I booked a great online rate for a 3 night stay. The room was partially below ground which caused all kinds of allergy problems for me. It had a small window and you could reach out and touch the street. Strange. I have had a similar experience at a Kimpton hotel in Dallas. With that one, the shower was in the bedroom. So my point is to ask questions about the room options and know what you will be getting.
The hotel agreed to move us to an upstairs room for the next two nights but we checked out after the first night. The problem that we could not resolve was the bed and I understand they use the same mattress at other Kimpton properties in the area. It was too soft and I awoke in the middle of the night with a terrible backache. Also the bed headboard squeeked everytime I moved even if it was only my head. The furniture and mattress all appeared to be new so Kimpton apparently has made a big purchasing mistake there.. All of these factors contributed to what I would have to say was one of the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel and certainly not what one would expect from a higly rated hotel.
The staff was terrific as has been my experience with all the Kimpton hotels I have visited. Cathy the manager really cared about the problem, helped me find another hotel in the area, allowed me to check out without early cancellation fees and did all that she could to solve the problems. She was simply wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RHDorshorst
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 June 2010
Dear RHDorshorst,

On behalf of the Morrison House I wanted to write to both thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property as well as apologize for what was clearly an unsatisfactory stay. While I’m happy that our team was able to accommodate a room move for you, I was concerned about the comfort of the bedding. The beds are indeed less than two years old, so we will certainly research any negative feedback we encounter. I’ve asked our Chief Engineer to look into those comments.

While we had a challenge delivering for you from a facilities standpoint, I did want to thank you for recognizing the empathy and commitment of our guest services team. I’m particularly grateful for your comments about Kate and agree she’s a very special part of our success.

I do hope the issues you encountered will not keep you from joining us in the future. If your travels take you back to the Alexandria area please reach out to me and give us the opportunity to win back your trust in our product. Thank you again for your feedback; we want to be the best loved hotel in Alexandria but will only achieve that goal if we learn and grow from the times we don’t deliver to our guest’s expectations, or ours.

Atlanta
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Wonderful staff and a great old hotel in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. Stayed here on business, but will bring my wife next time for a mix of business and pleasure. Surrounded by the shops and restaurants of Old Town, Morrison House is also convenient to DC - jump on the Metro Yellow Line and you're there in minutes (about 12 blocks or $5 cab).

The room was great, with the bed being the most comfortable I've slept in in years with down pillows and wonderful sheets. Several really nice occasional chairs around the room kept me from having to sit on the bed while on the phone or watching TV. Armoire for hanging clothes and a separate armoire for drawers and mini bar were great.

The bathroom was bright and clean and complimentary toiletries from Aveda (same as I use at home) made it seem like home. Showerhead (come on, you know most hotels have the little ones) was big and pressure was great.

I didn't get to enjoy breakfast or the wine hour, but I most certainly enjoyed having morning coffee in the drawing room, and relaxing on the front patio for a few before calling it a night. Looks like they're putting in a new fountain, can't wait to see it working.

The service is impeccable. On one night (late), I needed some hot water for tea. Stopped at the front desk and it was delivered in a nice decanter on a tray. With a smile. Everyone who worked and stayed there seemed to have a smile. Not the "customer service I have to do this" smile, but the genuine "I'm glad to see you and hope you really are having a nice day" smile.

If you're a fan of old style charm and wonderful service, this is your place. You won't be disappointed, in fact you'll be happy you did.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dear WMTaylor2,

On behalf of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I really enjoyed reading your feedback; it read like a travel review. I'm also grateful for your feedback about our team. They're a very special group of people.

We want to be the best loved hotel in Alexandria. If there’s any additional feedback you have on how we can continue work toward that goal simply contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with me. Thank you again and please do bring your wife next time.

p.s. The fountain is done and looks fantastic!