“paper thin walls”

Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reston, Virginia
“paper thin walls”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed at this property last month. At check in, I was given keys that did not work. The front desk was understaffed. When I went back for new keys, I had to wait about 20 minutes. On the upside, I was given a river view room, which I had not initially reserved.

The room itself was good. Comfortable bed, enough room for two people, clean bathroom, etc. Unfortunately, the walls were paper thin. A family entered the room next to me around 2AM and I could hear word for word what they were talking about. Also, their baby decided to have a crying fit.

Room service for breakfast was prompt and tasty. I accidentally checked off the wrong beverage on my order ticket and the delivery person kindly went back and got a replacement beverage.

I would not stay here again because of the thin walls. Otherwise it's a perfectly good place with a nice location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank mkeith03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The people here are great. Very friendly and helpful. Nice restaurant especially for the breakfast buffet.
Location is a 20 minute walk from trendy King street.
Safe location too
Walk to the Royal Restaurant for good diner food, a la Lucia for fine Italian food is 2 blocks away. Great running trail 15 feet outside the doorway. Van service to Reagan that runs on time.
Downside is you have to pay for in room Internet and there is weak wireless service only.
And most aggravating is that every time you leave your room you need to have a new key made to get back in. They say they're getting new locks but they never seem to actually get here.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank ord737fo
IHGCare, ihgcare at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Ord737fo,

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Extremely sullen receptionist - must have been a bad day ...Hoped to get a good upgrade with my platinum priority club membership. But at 3pm when I checked in the best rooms on the 12th floor overlooking the river had still not been serviced. Free wifi with PC - cost taken off the bill. Got a welcome pack of popcorn an apple and some water at reception - ho hum. The bed was comfortable and had my best sleep of the week but the breakfast was poor. If it wasn't free I would have complained. good packages if you look on the ICH website - I got a night b&b plus free parking for USD129 on a Saturday night. they also provide a shuttle service into the main tourist area of Alexandria which might suit some but it was only 15 mins walk from King St. Try o'connells pub for a lively night - they also show rugby if you are that way inclined.

Room Tip: Ask for 12th floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JMHGlobetrotter
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
JMHGlobetrotter,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip!

Ben J
IHG Care
New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My most recent stay here shows that reinvesting in the rooms makes a huge difference.

The hotel bar/restaurant was quite a surprise, lots of local beers on tap, nice range of good food and not a per diem crusher.

The front desk staff seem bored, but the place is a decent place to stay and grab some food.

Breakfast is nothing to write home about. Typical buffet and unimpressive menu items.

1 Thank parkerisland
Alexandria
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Food was excellent. Great selection and choice of breakfast foods.
Clean, bright and great service. Was served by a waitress named Senait
who was very efficient and friendly. Try it, you will like it.
Randy McDonald

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Randall M
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I often stay at the Crown Plaza Old Town and the morning restaurant manager Nancy is always a pleasant face and insures excellent service. She often goes out of her way to insure that each guest is taken care of.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I recently returned to work after maternity leave and attended a conference at the Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria. I was concerned about finding a private place to pump breastmilk during my day-long conference, so I called the hotel the night before and Fernando at the front desk suggested I ask the banquet manager upon arrival if I could use an unoccuppied banquet room. When I arrived at the hotel the next morning, I first asked an unhelpful lady at the front desk where I could pump, and she told me there was no private place to do this. (Really? In the entire HOTEL? Not helpful.) Upon hearing her response and seeing my stress, the manager Sonya quickly stepped in and offered to walk me around the area near my conference room to check out the options. I told her I just needed a private place with an outlet and a chair to sit on. She knew the bathroom and the banquet room wouldn't be optimal, so she kindly (and humanely) told me to come find her when I needed to pump and she would have a key to a vacant guest room ready for me. Sonya was extremely helpful, considerate and sympathetic to my situation. Her kindess and superior customer service put my mind at ease, and allowed me to stop worrying about where I was going to pump without someone walking in on me! She definitely took the extra effort to problem solve my unique situation and I am very grateful she was at the front desk when I arrived. THANK YOU SONYA!!!

3 Thank TheBostonK
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear TheBostonK
I thank you the comments regarding your stay with us and the compliments regarding Sonya our Guest Services Manager. Sonya took the department over as department head two weeks ago and good things are happening.
I thank you for staying with us, and if your travels bring you to our area, I hope you will stay with us.
Hubert Herre