“Not up to Standard”

Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Brisbane, Australia
“Not up to Standard”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I've stayed at several hotels in the Crowne Plaza group and this one didn't measure up. The man at reception during check-in was most obliging and helpful, from then on service was "ordinary". One day my room wasn't cleaned till I chased up the woman on duty. Even though I asked, no one would exchange a couple of U$9.95 breakfasts in lieu of an extra night's stay which I wasn't going to use, but for which I'd paid.

The convention group was not supplied with sufficient boiling water for all attendees who wanted a cup of morning tea rather than coffee. When an additional urn came, the hotel charged for it. (The number in the group wanting tea was fewer than thirty!) How mean not supply sufficient in the first place!

If you want free wifi you have to join the hotel chain's "club" or pay an hourly or daily rate. These days even small motels offer their customers free wifi. It's time the bigger hotels offered it as well.

You could say I was less than satisfied with Crowne Plaza, Alexandria, Virginia.

1 Thank Missy T
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Missy T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very happy to hear from our guest. Receiving constructive comments help to show us where we can work harder to serve our guest better. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience.We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. We apologize you had issues with your group service and the servicing of you room that took away from you having an exceptional stay. Please in the future we hope you return and if there is anything during your stay you are not pleased with, please bring it to our attention we would love to make your experience with us a great one. We hope that you would reconsider returning and allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Crown Plaza in Old Town Alexandria is the best hotel in old town The customer service experience I have is excellent. I cannot say enough about the staff Especially (Peter) at the For desk very professional and friendly thank you so much for all your help,.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ibrahen W,

Thank you for your recognition of our hotel and staff. We look forward to responses from our guest. It is our pleasure to have served you. We love knowing we achieved our goal in providing you with an overall experience that was exceptional. Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you again soon.
Rural Belgium
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Older property, showing its age in places.
Very slow check-in - no special line / desk for premium IHG members (platinum). Only person on duty coped admirably, but was over-stretched.
Rooms ok, but that's about as far as it goes.
Breakfast a bit pedestrian, part buffet, part service at the table, all a bit confusing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Nossi,

Thank you for you feedback and comments on your experience at our hotel. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. From the long line to check in, your room not being as comfortable as you would have desired, to your experience in the restaurant being somewhat confusing. We should have exceeded you expectations. We apologize that we were sub par or just ok in serving you. We will forward your very important and constructive comments to our department managers to use to bring about improvements. Thank you for choosing us, we hope you will return and give us an opportunity to better serve you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We booked this hotel through a discount website which reveals the name only upon booking but the pricing was attractive for 3.5 star hotel, so I went ahead and booked it. We had Washington DC on our trip itinerary but DC hotels being pricey, we chose this one which was just 10-12 minutes drive to where we parked our car in DC. Our room was not on the upper floors or even facing the river side(which is what we expected given the discount we got) but the room was nice and clean. House keeping was done everyday. An incidental expense of $50 was put on hold on our credit card which was later released on getting the room back with no damage. Parking is pricey within the hotel but free street parking was available right outside the hotel and we could even see our car from the room. There is a children's park near the hotel and a Mediterranean take-away/eat-in right at the corner of the street. I didn't try it but its an option if you are leaving early and wish to avoid going 4 blocks away to the main market area. Shuttle service is available till Alexandria town downtown/metro station.
The microwave switch goes in the lamp placed next to it on the table. Do not look for additional sockets/extensions.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sapna J,

Thank you for your valued comments. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We are happy you found your accommodations to be comfortable for you and your family. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel. We happy to know our location and surrounding area was conducive to your plans. We hope that you visit us once again to serve you better.
Maine
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We are so happy we found the Crowne Plaza. Our room was very quiet (aside from slamming doors), the service was fine, and the location a nice walk from the harbor. We enjoyed walking to the Torpedo Factory along the water and through some of the quiet historic streets. The price was good given the time of year. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Swim49,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about your recent stay. We look forward to responses from our guest. It is our pleasure to have served you. We're happy our location was the optimum in convenience for your enjoyment. We are very glad to hear you will return we look forward to it. We'll see you the next time your in Alexandria!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I got a really good deal on this hotel via hot-wire, so for the price I paid I have no real complaints. For the sticker price, there are a few pros & cons: There was no mini-fridge which I come to expect from this type of hotel and was disappointed. The bathroom had the light and fan together so you couldn't turn on any light in the bathroom without the fan which was loud. That is annoying for doing things like hair/make-up, I really wish there was a way to do light-only even if you had to do an extra step or something. THe hair dryer they provided was better than most though and the water pressure was good. The bed was really comfortable, perhaps one of the best I've had in any hotel lately. The hotel was also very quiet (I was on the 9th floor) so I got great sleep while there which is always important. No pool and breakfast was ok, so I wouldn't say the hotel has a lot of amenities but I didn't need those. The internet was pretty slow, to the point where I ended up not using it as much as I planned to because it was frustrating. It was free so not that big a deal but if I had to pay the $9.95 (if you aren't a rewards member) then I would have been pissed. Close to the water in alexandria is a very nice spot, great walking trail near by and not that far into old town for restaurants. Parking was $20 a night but was very easy in and out, there were 3 main elevators which were easy to use with minimal wait (although I do not think the hotel was super full). Overall good hotel but I would like to see them add mini-fridges and improve the internet quality (and just make it free -the whole rewards thing is annoying and you kind of wonder if you're going to get charged anyway)

Room Tip: Higher rooms will provide a decent view in either direction and will be quieter
Warren, MI
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My poetic journey took me to DC by way of a feature in Manassas, VA. I wanted to stay in a location with nice view off the beaten path so I could relax and gather a thought or two before hitting the stage for my feature. The Crowne Plaza in Alexandria is just that. The hotel is located on the Potomac River with views of the Capitol. The drive into downtown DC is about 10 minutes via the George Washington Parkway (which is a beautiful drive as well). My room was clean and the view of the Capitol was breathtaking. Spa services and a supermarket are close to this location as well. I would highly recommend this location for anyone who wants to stay in the DC area but not pay a premium price for overcrowded hotels located in the city.

Had I not paid for the first night's stay in advance, upon my arrival, I would've found somewhere else to sleep. I'm just going to assume that the person who checked me in had a bad day, however, that should NEVER translate to people upon check in. The answers to my questions were one-word, I was not told what my room number was, nor was I given any directions on how to get there. I wanted to order room service and the clock in the room was apparently set wrong as I had one minute to order before room service closed. When I called down for service, I was told that they were closed (as the correct time was about seven minutes after closing) and whomever answered the phone just hung up on me. I then called to the front desk to find out what restaurant in the may still be open for delivery, but was left on hold for 5 minutes with no answer. I let the manager know about the service and was given complimentary breakfast the next day. The next morning, I went to the buffet area and was directed to sit at a table that needed to be cleared--actually there were quite a few tables that needed to be cleared. We stood waiting for someone to clear the table we were assigned for a few minutes but watched another couple come in after us, someone IMMEDIATELY cleared a table for them, they sat, was served cool refreshing drinks while we were still standing waiting on a table to be cleared for us. The couple who sat before us was consistently checked on, yet we had to flag our waitress on two occasions for extra this or that or to order more beverages. Needless to say, if my travels take me to the DC area again, this type of service precludes me from staying at the Crown Plaza ever again.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good location, consider the Crowne Plaza...pack a little patience though...