“great staff and location”

Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
“great staff and location”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a great property with a great staff. There is very little turnover in staff and they always remember you from the last visit, Stephanie is very kind and professional and always works to make my stay a good one. The pool is very clean and they keep it at around 85 degrees and great place to relax. I often dine in the bistro and watch tv in one of the booths. The food is always fresh and made to order. As a frequent traveler I would recommend this property for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: upper floor rooms overlooking DC
Green Features: they recycle and encourage guest to do so also. I have my linen changed every other day
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Ed G -Thank you for such a wonderful review. I will be happy to share your comments with Stephanie and the rest of the team. I am glad that we were able to create such a memorable stay for you and that we as a team met your expectations. We definitely look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the DC area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I'm not usually one to make lists like this, but this particular stay screamed for it.

Let's see... Check in went okay at first but I was literally switched to a different agent midway through to hear about their lack of complimentary breakfast (which I knew). The previous agent just walked away to help someone else. Perhaps it was my letting them know that the person I was traveling with - from the same company, mind you - was not able to make it and if they hadn't been contacted they could go ahead and free up the reserved room. Well, apparently they take issue with that. They explained that the person (who didn't even make their own reservation) would need to call them directly. When I said my coworker had encountered an emergency, which is why they couldn't make the trip, they basically said "tough, we need a call or we're billing the full rate".

So on to the room: The tub dripped non-stop; the bed was all springs and very uncomfortable; the red walls had chipped paint; and forget that the TV on-screen guide says you can watch Showtime - that channel reverts to Bio. The icing on the cake had to do with the bathroom amenities. I've unwrapped better bars of soap at $30/night motels. Like plastic. That, and they only provided little bottles of conditioner. No shampoo. I called down and was told someone would be right up. Guess again. I called again 20 minutes later and they acted I'd never called before. No big deal - I can be late to that meeting.

Anything good, you ask? The little diner counter they have downstairs was staffed by two very nice gentlemen. The food, being light bar food, was only so-so but the service was great. So there.

Room Tip: If you stay on the side facing the highway, know that you need to run the fan on high to drown out t...
1 Thank SteveG13
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
SteveG13 - Thank you for your review and I apologize that your stay was not what you have come to expect from a Marriott. We strive to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable stay and we did not meet your expectation and our own. I will be sure to address your concerns with my staff immediately in order for it not to happen again. We will certainly utilize your comments to make an improvement in the areas you have mentioned. Thank you again for your review and feedback.
Spinnerstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here a week ago with a group that had 28 rooms. The staff was very nice and helpful, rooms were blocked perfectly, and the breakfast each morning was wonderful. The pool was large and nicely laid out, great place to relax and swim. Would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice place to stay near Washington D.C. Perfect in every way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
peggypauline505 - Thank you very much for such a great review of your recent stay with us. I’m very pleased that our staff was able to meet your expectations and that our room blocking and morning breakfast worked out perfectly for your group. I will happily share your comments with the entire staff. We look forward on seeing you on your next trip to the DC area.
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I do alot of work related travel, and stay in alot of Hotels. This Hotel is outstanding from the moment you walk in the door to check in to the moment you walk out after check out. The
staff has the highest quality of guest service I have ever seen. You feel more like Family then guests. The Manager Keith is always seen and available. I want to give a special thank you to Stephanie for her skills and help, to Edna for her patience, to Greg for his directional skills.
Thank you all for making my work travel a little less work and a little more fun.

Room Tip: I like the lay out of rooms ending in 03 (203, 303,40, etc), they are at the end of the halls near t...
1 Thank Carla H
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Carla H - Wow, thank you for such a wonderful review. I will happily share your comments with Stephanie, Edna, Greg and the rest of the team. I am glad that we were able to create such a memorable stay for you and made your work enjoyable. We definitely look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the DC area.
Seattle
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have been at this Courtyard for a week while touring DC and Alexandria, The front staff is fantastic and they are always ready and willing to help. I would like to thank Keith, Stephanie and Edna for all that they do! They should write a book on customer service!!! They have a great breakfast and the best pool in the DC area! Thanks Courtyard for making our stay fantastic!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DonHalazon - Thank you for so many kind words from your recent visit to the hotel. I love the heading of “Fantastic-The Best Place To Stay!” I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team at our upcoming staff meeting. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the area.
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just returned from a weekend in DC with family and had a wonderful stay at the Courtyard. The hotel had a great location and the shuttle got us to the Metro very easily. The staff was very nice, especially a front desk clerk by the name of Stephanie who went out of her way to make our stay perfect. She is a great asset to a hotel we will return to in the future!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Kathleen S – Thank you for such a great review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Stephanie with the rest of the team had such a positive impact on your stay. I am sure that they will be very pleased with your comments. It was great having you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel was top notch. The bed, TV, room size, and bathroom facilities were all what you would expect from a $200 a night hotel (which is what it cost). Included iron board and iron that worked great, thermostat, largish LCD TV, and wireless internet (more on that below). The staff was friendly and professional and the lobby was comfortable w/ free coffee, etc. They had a small store in the lobby that had most everything you could need (there's also a small strip mall within easy walking distance). The restaurant was also good, though note that it doesn't have a 'full' menu, it's more of smaller operation. Their breakfast buffer was OK. They also have a free shuttle to the Pentagon City metro that runs till 10:30 pm. Pool was closed for winter. They have a small work out room that was adequate.

Although very nice, some areas that could have been better were

- wireless internet: bandwidth slowed to a crawl by about 8pm, hourglassing sometimes for up to 5 minutes.
- no refrigerator in room (I didn't need one)
- not a full-menu type of restaurant
- parking was $19 a night, which seemed steep. No easy street parking.

Room Tip: Hard to find the hotel (VA roads are terrible): make sure you get and follow their directions very c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GBGB1 – Thank you for a great review of your recent stay. I greatly appreciate your feedback and will share your positive comments with the team. I’m very pleased that we have met your expectations and we certainly hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to the DC area.