“The Red Roof Inn in Alexandria, VA offers a very clean and well-managed stay.”

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Red Roof Inn in Alexandria, VA offers a very clean and well-managed stay.”
Reviewed 7 April 2011

For the price, I was surprised to find such an updated, very clean, and well-run stay.
Also, I was given a $20 discount/day for my five-days at the motel, beating the price
of higher-profiled motels in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I worked for 2 hotels before, I have worked with the publics and their dumb complaints and there for I try not to complain about any hotel I stay at but this situation was something else. Yes it's cheap and thats the best part about it, I didn't mind the walk to the metro but the area is a little sketchy especially at night. I Wouldn't recommend it for a family. My first night there I went to use the bathroom and had TWO unexpected visitors , YES TWO ROACHES!!

The room itself was decent and the staff was nice but the two roaches just ruined it for me.

Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank sil8184
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This was about as cheap and low budget as I will ever go again in America. This really is the cheapest place in this Alexandria area. Its sleezy enough to bother you, but good enough to be ok at the same time. The washer and dryer work very well. $1.75 and $1.25. There is an elevator and two luggage carts. I was on the 3rd floor facing the back wooded area. It is quiet as long as you have quiet neighbors. The rooms are spacious; however something in the sheets made my skin break out and made me itch several times. Luckily I always carry my own blanket and pillow and I wear long sleeves to bed. When I switched over to the second bed and it smelled like someone had slept in it earlier so Im sure the sheets hadnt been changed because they certainly werent fresh smelling. The toilet didnt flush every time the first time. There was some weird gimmick to flushing it, but it did flush after the 2nd and 3rd time. There was a microwave and small fridge that came in very handy after trips to the local Walmart. Im not a smoker and the only time I smelled cigarettes is when I had my door open and the person on the far end was smoking outside. No smoke circulated through my vents. The staff is VERY friendly and helpful. I must say that.

The bottom line was that it was cheap for the week. Not something I'd ever recommend to anyone not desperate (like I was). I got delayed moving into my apartment and needed a cheap place with free parking and free wi-fi close to Old Town in two days and this was it. Although, I cant understand why AAA gave this place a Diamond award for 2011. You'll see the shiny plaque at the front desk when you check in. Its not the filthiest of places, but its borderline enough for me. Definitely not the Marriott down the street.

If you are in a time crunch and on a budget, this is the ONLY place in the Alexandria area with $69-$85 night rates that I found in my AAA tourbook. There is a Budget Host Travelers down the street but that looked worse. There is no gym and no breakfast but there is a delivery service menu and plenty of shopping centers in either direction so you wont starve. It is right down the street from the Huntington Metro within 1 mile or less, the beltway, and Walmart 1 mile the opposite direction down Richmond Hwy. They advertise bus service to the metro but its actually across the street.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Bellamora_DC
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Very clean room, comfortable bed, really nice folks at front desk. Room appointed nicely. We stayed on the back side which is quieter. Laundry facilities on-site. Great value for the price in this area. Lots of food choices to the left as you go out of the drive-way. A great place to stay in the DC area. Close to interstates and easy to get around.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chloe T
newcastle me
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Clean, quiet, comfortable room. Good location. Nice staff. Not the Ritz but a really good value for the money. We really appreciated the fact that they take small dogs.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 November 2010

The Front Desk person was extremely charming and helpful. I made an error on-line with my reservation and she patiently assisted me in assuring I would get my room. Originally, I had planned to stay one night. But, stayed two instead. The room was exceptionally clean and very quiet. I was able to get plenty of work done on my computer without disturbance. I would offer, however, a more meaningful diet, rather than vending machines. Although, it was not an inconvenience for me to walk a few blocks to get something to eat. It was close enough that, I had a takeout dinner and it was still hot-warm when I returned to my room.

The price was very reasonable and the location was perfect, close to public transportation and within a walk to the Metro station, of course, I do not have a car, so this was extremely important to me.

In a nutshell, my stay there was next to perfect. I say next to perfect because, the food was lacking. At a minimum, can we get some donuts in the morning with coffee?

It should be noted, however, that the staff there deserve recognition. And, I checked in on 11/7/2010 and checked out 11/09/2010.

James Davis

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Georgetown, SC
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Stayed here to be able to get into the Washington DC Mall. This motel was close enough to the train station (about 5 minutes by cab) and within walking distance of the Metro -- about a 20 minute walk uphill. The Metro ride to the mall is about 30 minutes. A good Thai restaurant is across the highway as well as a pizza joint. No good breakfast restaurant nearby but the 7-11 on the way to the Metro has a great selection of hot food and we bought breakfast things there on the way back & put them in the room's frig -- there was also a microwave. So this place served our needs for inexpensive place to stay when visiting Washington.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends