“Beware of how you pay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“Beware of how you pay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here in April during school vacation week. We checked in using our ATM/Debit card, as payment. When we checked in, we were not told that using this card means you will pay for the whole room upfront and not at the end of your stay, as this is not a credit card. There weren't any sings indicating this either. We checked our bank account balance to withdraw some money and found that the whole room was already charged. At first, we thought this was to make sure we had the money in our account, and like most hotels, the money would be put back in. This was not the case. To our dismay, not only was the room charged in full, but since we withdrew extra money to pay for meals, etc, we now over drew our account.

One of the issues is that we were going to be getting paid by our paychecks at time of check out so we would have plenty of money. When I went to the office to ask about their policy and why we were charged the whole room fee, they told us that this is their policy. I told them that this is not a policy that I have ever heard of before on any hotel. This is not how hotels operate. I want our money back, and I want this fixed. The woman at the desk refused. I asked to talk to the manager, but she was not on site. I said we are heading out for the day, please have her contact us later on this afternoon. When we got back from our day, we had two messages on our phone, one a hang up and one other from the manager. She called us within a half hour of us leaving for the day, which tells me she didn't want to deal with us.

I called back when we got in, and she was not available. I left a message. She did call us back, and I complained about the policy. She continued to argue with me stating that the policy is written on a sign in the lobby. (No sign in the lobby at all upon check in, or when we ended up at the front desk). The manager continued to tell me that when we checked in, we should have been explained this. Nope, we were not given that information anywhere! I told her that the bank wants a fax stating that you made the error, and we should have the charges recanted. She faxed something to the bank but refused to refund our money, and allow us to pay at the end of the trip. I did fill out a survey about the hotel room. The manager emailed me back stating she did do what she was supposed to do to fax a statement to our bank stating that this is an error, in hopes that the bank may take away the extra charges of overdrafts. Well, this did not help in the least. Our trip to DC costs us twice as much as we were supposed to spend thanks to Red Roof Inn's lack of policy and check in explanation. I feel as though they should have done the right thing and recanted our money and then let us pay at the end. We avoid credit cards, simply because we don't want to end up having issues like emergencies that may arise and we can't pay the credit card in the future.

The room is small, but clean. The bathrooms are so tiny you can barely move, but it's a good location and near all the things you want to see in DC. I won't stay there again only because of the charges issue. Other wise, it's a good place.

Room Tip: This is not a bad hotel location, and there aren't any restaurants on site, which is expected, b...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Shirley J, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest, I am sorry to hear that you felt as if you were not given enough information regarding your method of payment. You did present a Debit Card at check in, it is an industry policy to charge a debit card at that time. I did fax over a notice to your bank, asking them to wave all over draft fees. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your family.

Shirley Jordan General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked this hotel because I needed a low budget accommodation for a one-week business trip to DC, and pictures seemed nice enough. First things first, I arrived at the hotel after a 17 hour trip that included a 7 hour layover in NY and 2 more for a "weather delay" from Delta. It was 0:25, and I was able to take the last Metro to Huntington, and the last bus to Richmond Hwy, afraid that the reception would be closed and no one would check me in. No sweat, the guy at the reception greeted me and in 4 minutes I was on my way to a very clean and comfortable room. Good soft mattress, clean sheets and blankets, nice bathroom and no-nonsense design. Unpacked and ready to go. Lots of parking spaces available, although I have never needed a car in DC. A/C (very effective) is inside the room and it's noisy, but you can turn it on and off at will, so that is a non-issue. No restaurant on the premises, but there is a microwave and some vending machines next to the reception, and there are several restaurants within walking distance (included a pizza and subs place in Huntington Gateway, highly recommended). Buses to Huntington metro station include the 171, 9A and REX, so transportation is available. Hotel is quiet and I was able to get good sleep at night, temperature in the shower is easy to manage, and fresh towels are always available. There is an iron and board so you won't have the luggage look all the time. When traveling on my own dime, this hotel will be my choice!

Room Tip: Select a room facing the woods, not the highway, they are very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Miguel2105
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make your stay awesome. I will pass your comments on to my team. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests. Please make it a point to visit us again in the very near future.

Shirley Jordan general Manger
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Ms. Mills was very accommodating and reassuring when my reservation wouldn't show up on the website. Room was clean and comfortable, but small. Next time we will upgrade for more "walking around room". Very good customer service, both on the phone and in person.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Shirley J, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Great to hear that my team took good care of you. It also sounds as if we will see you again very soon. I will pass your comments on to Ms.Mills, she truly is our ambassador of awesome service.

Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

OMG--BEYOND TERRIBLE,NEVER STAY AT THIS PROPERTY unless you want your stay to be miserable, only then go this property.We stayed at this property from March 26,2014 for 3 nights. On second day noticed that our food was thrown away by the house keeping. When we reported that to the front desk we were being ignored as if nothing happened. Misery comes the following day when we returned bone tired to the room we found that housekeeping did not even enter the room to clean it. Reported this to front desk that the room was not cleaned and had to wait outside for more than an hour while they cleaned. After that incident, Ms. Mills at the front desk told that we will be given a gift certificate for one night free stay at any one of the Red Roof Inn which NEVER happened . After returning from the trip, called the hotel several times for the gift certificate that we were promised and the manager informed us that they had already sent the certificate from their end and if we did not receive it that is our fault. The manager( Ms. Shirley Jordan ) told us that she would personally mail the certificate and will give us the tracking number which also NEVER actually happened. To sum it up it was BUNCH OF LIES. Horrible unprofessional front desk staff and manager who didnt keep her word. Strongly urge the OWNERS of this establishment to take a serious look over the security video recording on what goes on at the front desk, and it might open their eyes in order to make improvements.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MJKUMAR
Dear guest, sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your stay and my staff. We did as we promised and mailed you, not only one but two VIP-passes. I would be very happy to send you a log of each transaction. Customer service is very important to all of us in Alexandria- I am truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

It was my first visit to the US and I had booked a room at Red Roof Inn, Washington DC Alexandria. Although I had apprehensions in the beginning, the behaviour of the staff at the hotel immediately made me feel that I was amongst friends. Sarah at the reception desk always went out of her way to help, very polite and always helped us with directions and travel guidance which was very useful. Thanks Sarah, I am thankful for what you did for us.

Huntington metro station is walking distance and takes you to all the places in DC.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fortheloveofnature
Shirley J, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Sarah is our resident tour guide. She takes pride in knowing the area very well and does not hesitate sharing this knowledge. We are very fortunate to have her on are team. I will share your comments with her( this really will make her day) as it did mine.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My grandson and I recently spent a week here. I was showing him all the sights of the Nation's Capitol and used this hotel for our home base. It was a great choice. Ecomomical, savng more money to enjoy the D.C. area, easy access to the Huntington Metro station, and to Old Town Alexandria and all the wonderful shops and eateries. The staff was friendly and helpful any time we need them. Best of all, they are very pet friendly and my dogs got to come along, meaning I probably saved half of what the hotel cost just on boarding fees. There is no charge for pets here and they have a designated walking area, complete with a dispenser for bags to pick up after your pet. All the bases were covered. My only negatives were I wasn't a fan of the hard pillows and would bring one along next time and while we were there the WiFi was knocked out by a storm and they had trouble getting it working, but I will stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard1657
Being able to bring your pet with you while on vacation is great! We are glad to hear you had an awesome stay and look forward to seeing you and all of your family members. Thanks for making us your first choice.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The customer service here is outstanding! Ms. Mills goes above and beyond to make sure you're settled in and everything is sorted out. She is super helpful and very professional and nice. The rooms are very spacious for the rate, and always have been clean each time I stay here. The beds are super comfortable, and it's nice to have a microwave + fridge in the room, as there is a Wal-Mart up the road where you can stock up on cheap snacks if you don't want to go out or order in for a meal. Will absolutely be back!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front side of the hotel have the best working internet!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. This lets us know, we are not meeting our goal, it gives us a clear idea of what areas need improvement. We are dedicated to being able to provide a clean, comfortable room to all of our customers. We know you will notice the difference on your next visit. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Shirley Jordan General manager