Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Hilton Alexandria Mark Center(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$175
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
SpringHill Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$140
SpringHill Suites
US$272
US$203
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$113
  • Breakfast included
US$156
US$141
HIExpress.com
Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$152
US$146
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
All reviewsfrench doorsthe club loungeharris teeterking streetold townroyal restauranttrader joesacross the streetnice suitebraddock roadfront desk staffliving roomairport shuttlesuite hotelwet barpool and hot tubstreet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for one night as we had an early flight the next morning. The shuttle runs every half hour and the trip to the airport takes 10 minutes. It is an excellent choice for an airport hotel. The rooms have been redone but it is an older hotel, very comfortable beds, bathrooms are small with sliding doors to separate it from the sitting area and from the bedroom area. You can access the metro by taking the shuttle to the airport and catching it there. We took a taxi to National Harbour - $20.00. I would definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.
I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our location in particular. I always like to hear that a guest will return when travels bring them back to Old Town Alexandria.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were traveling with our dog and when we checked in there was some confusion on room assignment. We were assigned a non-pet room first and next room was out of service for carpet cleaning. The third time was a charm and we had wonderful room. This a all suite hotel so we had a nice 2 room suite. the next morning we tried to turn on the heat but it was already switched over to air conditioning only.Talk with general manager the next morning about check in and maintenance problem. He was extremely friendly and apologetic for the problems and said e make it right. He made a rate adjustment to our room that was more then fair and the last day there he sent up a delicious fruit tray.
I would certainly stay there again when in the Washington area. Its also very close to Reagan airport with a free shuttle and it's also a great place to catch the metro into Washington.
The morning buffet(extra) was delicious and service was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 54LorenH54
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey.
Please accept my apology for the confusion with the room assignment. As I explained to you when we met, this should not have happened. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I hope you will visit us again when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Let me tell you some unvarnished facts about my recent stay at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria. Feel free to reach your own conclusions:

1. The "special rate" rooms reserved for the wedding we were attending were already gone when we called to make a reservation.

2. The Hotel has an airport shuttle (4 miles away) but refused to send it to pick us up at the Amtrak Station (1.4 miles away). Too far to drag a suitcase at 94 degrees, 94% humidity. Airport only!

3. My wife, my sister and I booked a so-called "suite" for the three of us. When we saw the room, there was no way three people could occupy it comfortably for three days.

4. So my sister went down to the desk and reserved another, identical room, for $20 a night less, no Triple A, no discount whatsoever. The Hotel then refused to match that rate for my wife and me.

5. Internet was $7/day. If you bought it, you were purportedly allowed three connections. Cousin Jim bought it, and told only my sister, and then me, the code. My sister could connect. I couldn't. Not three connections, only two.

6. Our room had a "green" program where you could earn a $5 coupon for food and beverage in the Hotel by declining maid service. We always decline maid service anyway, so why not? Cousin Jim, Aunt Nancy and Aunt Perci couldn't find anything about a "green" program in their respective rooms.

7. We took our coupon to the Hotel restaurant the next morning. Only one staffperson appeared to man the restaurant, a surly fellow whose first language was not English. He didn't know the word for strawberry. His primary concern and the first thing he asked was whether anybody had a coupon - he then collected mine. When my wife ordered oatmeal, he told her to get it herself, from the buffet. The buffet didn't have the pecans promised by the menu. I ordered the buffet (see below). While at the buffet, a self-service affair in a back room in the restaurant, other customers came all the way through the restaurant to the back room to ask me what the deal was, where to sit, was there a menu, was there any service staff, etc., because surlyman was nowhere to be found. When surlyman finally brought our check, he forgot about my coupon, and played dumb when I reminded him about it.

9. Everyone at the front desk had a chip on her shoulder. When I asked for the typical Hotel three-ring binder that you usually find in your room setting out hotel services, room service, etc., the staffperson told me, "There's one in your room." I said, no there isn't, that's why I'm down here asking for it. She told me that she didn't have any at the front desk, she'd have one brought to my room. "But I'm here, not in my room." There's nobody available to bring it to you right now. "Oh forget it."

10. We were on the second floor. Why not take the stairs instead of the elevator? The stairs are way around the back of the Hotel, and dump you out in a catacomb of administrative offices so Labyrinthian that signs every ten feet are necessary to direct you to the lobby. After a 2 minute trek, if you're lucky, you find yourself re-emerging to civilization BEHIND the front desk. Curiously, or perhaps understandably based on service we experienced, we never saw a soul in the administrative offices as we tiptoed through.

11. While in line to enter the wedding reception I was precipitously incapacitated by bowel cramps, constraining me to run (so to speak) to my room, where I worshipped at the porcelain altar for the next two hours and missed virtually the whole reception. The buffet?

12. The shower has no way to regulate pressure. It's full blast or nothing. And the water reeks of chlorine.

13. Free TV is tricky. You have to persevere, paging right to the second page of the menu. Only pay-per-view choices are on the first page of the menu. None of the old people attending the wedding could find free TV - they were sure there wasn't any. P.S. It wasn't worth finding.

14. Not wanting to ever revisit the restaurant again, I took my next-day's coupon to the gift shop around the corner from the front desk, to buy an overpriced candy bar. Sorry, the coupon is no good at the gift shop. (So much for food and beverage in the Hotel.)

15. The Hotel says Old Town, but at 801 St. Asaph Street, it's 8 blocks from King Street where the action is. That's 16 blocks, round trip, at 94 degrees, 94% humidity. Take a towel.

(16. The Hilton is right on King Street, right near the Amtrak Station, immediately adjacent to the action.)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KachinaBoy
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry we could not meet your requirements in any way during your stay. We try hard to please our guests but sometimes fall short.
It is probably fair for me to assume that you will not stay with us again, should you change your mind, please fell free to contact me and I would be happy to look after your comfort.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

It had been about 9 years since I visited the hotel and it is still the same. Plenty of room, nice layout and for the most part helpful staff. The food was great and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was as compared to most hotels fair.
The bad, far from most things but about a 1/2 mile walk the main area of old town. Far from the train to dc so you need a taxi. I arrived after 1am and it took awhile 3 mins for someone to answer the front door as it is locked after a late hr. No big deal but when I tried to call for a wake up call no one answered the front desk phone. I gave up after a few mins. More late night attention is needed.

Room Tip: A lot of bldg. construction going on by the water side and if you want to sleep in during the morning beware. They start at like 0630 and go to dark.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us a good rating on TripAdvisor. I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your sty overall. We do offer several scheduled trips to and from King Street and we are always happy to accommodate special requests when we have a driver and a vehicle available.
Please come and see us again when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here for the weekend as part of a group of approximately 50 people. This hotel was chosen for our annual meeting.

The hotel is easy to find and tucked into a neighborhood that is a mix of business and residential. There's a Trader Joe's just two blocks from the hotel. Lots of historical attractions are close by.

The room was okay. I liked the fact that the rooms were suites with French doors separating the living area and bedroom. This makes things nice in the morning when one person wants to get up earlier than the other and not disturb the person still sleeping.

My main disappointment with the room was that instead of a refrigerator in the room, it had a refrigerator-shaped cooler. It was what it sounds like: a non-electrical appliance, a cooler just like you use in your car. The little sign in the room informed you that this cooler would not cool your food, but keep it at the temperature that it was when you put it in the cooler. What a totally no class feature! Alexandria is an area that attracts tourists and a refrigerator would be massively convenient to say the least. The room has a microwave. Who decided to skimp of features and put a cooler in instead of a refrigerator?! This really makes the Sheraton brand look cheap.

About 30 minutes after we arrived, I heard the sound of the key mechanism in the door make the familiar whirling sound it does when you put your key in it to open the door. In a split second, someone was trying to get in our room. Thankfully, we had the security latch on the door, a habit we always practice when traveling. I went to the door and discovered that the person trying to enter was the maid! She NEVER knocked on our door and/or tried to identify herself prior to attempting to enter our room. She was trying to check to make sure we had a breakfast menu in our room. This was completely out of line. You don't have your staff attempt to enter a room without knocking first. There should have been some record that we were in that room.

Breakfast was included with our room, so on Saturday we headed down at 9:30. The dining area and the bar are adjacent and breakfast is served in both areas. There were about 20 tables in this area and as we waited to be acknowledged by someone, we scanned the area and realized that there were no clean tables at all. Several tables were occupied, but the other tables had either not been bussed or had not then been reset. There was no one at the hostess stand, but a woman did finally appear. We were finally seated after five minutes., however the table we were seated at was dirty, so we moved to a different one.

There was ONE waitress for the entire dining room and she was working her butt off. We helped ourselves to the buffet but when we returned, I realized I did not have any silverware. I asked the waitress for some and waited several minutes. When she had not returned, I scanned the room to see if there was any silverware on any of the other unoccupied tables that I could grab but ALL of the tables were dirty and hadn't been reset. I have NEVER seen such a thing! I finally got a fork several more minutes later.

We ate breakfast there the next morning as well -- it was included in our room -- but things were exactly the same. The waitress was overworked and the woman at the hostess station was not friendly at all.

Our group had a happy hour reception on Saturday evening followed by dinner, both in the hotel. The reception felt like a complete rip off. The appetizers were nice, but the drink prices were so high as to be laughable and insulting. I felt like we were a captive audience and they were taking advantage of us. Many people commented on the cost of the drinks. The room they had us in was also ridiculously small. There were two small tables without chairs that you could stand at to rest your drink and apps on. Certainly not enough room for 40+ people.

Dinner was a little strange as it was a mix of a buffet and a sit down. You had to stand in line to serve yourself salad. Our entrees were served to us at our table. For dessert, you had to walk back up to pick out your own. There was coffee but it ran out and it was not replenished by the staff.

Others have mentioned problems with their key cards and we had the same issues. Our room key frequently had to be inserted about half a dozen times before it worked, or we had to use the other key. We had the same problems with getting in and out of the parking garage. Apparently the staff is used to this as there is a call button at the gates of the parking garage where you can call the front desk for help and they informed us of this when we checked out.

Overall, I was disappointed in this hotel. It should be SO much better given the Sheraton name and its location in a popular destination. Instead, I felt like management didn't care. The people working there did not look happy. I didn't feel welcome. Not a class act.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank purplefog

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry we could not meet your needs during your stay. I realize we were short staffed in the restaurant but we had a manager and an assistant working the room.
The function was contracted in that fashion and was served as was requested.
I hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future and you will see that we strive to offer excellent service all the time.