Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Alexandria Mark Center(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$175
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
US$189
US$170
Hampton.com
SpringHill Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$150
SpringHill Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$123
SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$165
SpringHill Suites
Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$111
Homewood Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$219
US$190
US$110
QualityInn
All reviewsfrench doorsthe club loungeharris teeterking streetold townroyal restauranttrader joesacross the streetnice suitebraddock roadfront desk staffliving roomairport shuttlesuite hotelwet barpool and hot tubstreet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2010

My family wanted to find a safe, comfortable hotel in the D.C. area. Our main goal for the week was to see the sights of D.C. The Sheraton Suites website made it sound like the hotel was closer to D.C. and the Metro. When we exited the Metro closest to the hotel, we had a huge walk through government housing projects. We used the hotel shuttle to get to the Metro station from then on; however the hotel shuttle had its challenges too. We were stranded twice and had to take a taxi. I wish we'd stayed somewhere closer to D.C.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

Thank you very much for your comments as we always appreciate feedback both good and bad. The Sheraton Suites Old Town is very conveniently located only 4 miles from Washington, D.C. and a 10 minute walk to Old Town and the subway (metro) system. Unfortunately, we only have 4 shuttle buses and at times they do get full so alternatives must be considered. Many guests do appreciate this free service but also understand and are prepared to make the short walk or use a taxi which is always readily available. The great value we offer and spacious suites more then makes up for the cost of additional transportation.
The Old Town area is a very safe neighborhood and some of the housing is older. However, this area has an extremely low crime rate which we are very proud of.
Thanks for making me aware of your concern and hopefully you will visit us again.
Best Regards, Steve W

Reviewed 12 July 2010

My family and I were at the Sheraton July 6-11! We would stay here again. The staff were very nice and very helpful. The hotel is close to everything. 10 min. walk to Old Town and 10 min. walk to the Braddock Road Metro stop. You can walk but the hotel shuttle can take you as well. The shuttle drivers are great! There is a Giant grocery store and a Trader Joes very close by! There is also "The Royal Restaurant" right across the street that my family really liked! My only small complaints are: The internet is $10. They do have computers in the lobby however every morning that we were there they did not work however they did work in the evenings! The restaurant had a great July drink special. Drafts for $2 and well drinks for $4. We did take advantage of this once but on Friday night, the bar closed at 9pm. We thought that was a early to close:) The parking deck in next to the hotel and is easy to get in to however after the first night, we parked on the street which saved us 20 bucks a day! I did have a charge for parking each day on my bill however the front desk clerk cleared this up right a way! Also be aware that a local call is $8.95 each! My 14 year old son could not find his cell and called us 3 times! All in all a great place. We got a great rate on HotWire but paid $122.00 for Saturday night which we booked through Sheraton. It is well worth it!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Wow, thanks so much for your comments. It is amazing how some guests love certain things and others do not. I am glad you liked our location and proximity to all the sights and sounds of Washington DC and Old Town. I can't think of a better place not to mention the cool parkland right on the Potomac river with water views and visions of the airplanes taking off just 3 blocks away. Our internet fees of just $10 covers many of the support costs that we have to provide along with a very large circuit to handle the many video streaming requests that are now widely used. As for the lobby "Sheraton Link" we have worked out the problems due to a server connection.
Our restaurant normally stays open until 10pm and we will stay open longer if we are busy. Unfortunately during the holiday week we were slow so we closed early. This is very rare and we are always happy to recommend alternatives within a few steps of the hotel. Again, thanks so much for your comments and I am glad we made your visit a memorable one. Please do come see us again!!!! Best Regards, Steve W.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Sheraton has an excellent reputation, but unfortunately this particular one doesn't live up to it. The floor plan of the unit I stayed in was the best I've seen anywhere. However, the service was horrible! There was absolutely no meal service after hours, not even for a sandwich. They insist on charging $22 for parking to their customers, and the staff doesn't seem to be well trained at all, especially the newer ones. In addition, for some reason they have yet to fully explain satisfactoriy, they refused to give me a receipt for my stay, telling me that they would have done so if I had charged any incidentals to my room account. They told me that Expedia would send me the receipt for the hotel bill, but they went ahead and charged my $50 for something they have yet to explain. I found the extra $50 charge through my online credit card account. The most irritating aspect of the entire stay occurred when they forgot to call me at 7:00 am sharp to wake me up like I asked them to. Instead of waking up on time at 7:00 am, I woke 2 hours later than I wanted to due to their inability to follow through on their promise in a timely manner.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank HappySingleMan

Thanks so much for your comments. I am sorry our staff was not prepared for arrival and that you could not find food service after hours. We do offer a list of restaurants nearby and also delivery places to accommodate late night dining and the hotel has a snack shop open 24 hours. Unfortunately, Expedia 3rd party reservations does not allow us to provide rate information to the guest and receipt must be obtained directly from Expedia. The hotel does require credit to be established similar to most hotels to cover incidentals like parking, movies, and long distance phone calls. Our system is typical and only puts a hold on your card until check out and then it is released. As for your wake up call, this is very unfortunate and for that I am terribly sorry we missed this. Our automated system is very good, however many things can happen including a system failure, a telephone ringer turned off or turned down, and input error. Again, I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations but with your comments we can only hope to improve. Thanks so much and feel free to call direct if I can ever be of service.
Best Regards, Steve W.

Reviewed 11 July 2010

When we first drive to the hotel, we were a little concerned about the area because we drove by some not so nice areas. But turns out it was only a few blocks from the Potomac and a 10 minute walk to King street. In a residential mixed use area it was convenient to walk to the river front and king street. (King street is the main drag with tons of restaurants/cafes and shops and more. Many of the buildings are historical buildings. In fact during our walk from the hotel, we passed by many homes that had been tagged as a historic bldg.

We stayed in a regular suite. If you want privacy be forewarned that the doors are french with sheers over the window. Otherwise roomy and comfortable. It had a fridge and a microwave.

The ammenities were good. in room Coffee, shuttle to king street, indoor pool, fitness room and access to public computers were all pluses.

Downside? Parking is steep at $22 a night. Metro station is a good walk.

Thank you very much for your comments. I agree we have a great location and even though some of our local neighborhoods are older, the charm remains and the proximity to Washington, D.C. and the Old Town shopping district cannot be beat. We do have a parking fee for our secure underground garage that is competitive to the area and the garage is self park with in and out privileges all day long. Again, thanks for your comments and please do visit us again soon! Steve W.

Reviewed 3 July 2010

I got the room for $67 on hotwire. The rooms were huge.

My only complaint was that they closed the gym an hour earlier than posted (probably because there was a family reunion that weekend), and the pool closes too early at 9pm m-f. (I thinkk they're opened later on weekends)

Street parking seemed safe so you can save $20 per night (I parked there with no problems for 5 nights)

Thanks so much for your comments. I am glad to hear of the great value you received from Hotwire. I wanted to follow up specifically about our gym which is open 24 hours by room key access. Perhaps the lights had been turned off and you did not notice the access still remains. Our swimming pool stays open until 10pm however the life guard does need to restrict the number of swimmers due to local city codes. Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you often. Steve W.