“Great first experience”

Virginia International Raceway
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Alton
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My father and I went for the weekend to a track day with a sports car club. The repave is awesome! We had such a good time that we will definitely be back. I would even like to go watch a race as a spectator. The lodge was worth the money and very convenient. I wish the ice machine had been working but it was still cold at night so I'll let it slide. You have to watch an event or try to participate in one.

1  Thank kickinchickin
"tavern"
in 6 reviews
"skid"

Reviewed 23 October 2013

If you have not been to a race at VIR, put it on you bucket list. Great camping opportunities, or hotel rooms on the site, some right along the track.

1  Thank Robert L
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I don't have much to add to what's already been said other than if you get the opportunity to drive the track take it! Often during the "lunch break" for a small donation you can drive the storied 3.25 mile course. (This is behind a pace car to keep the speeds down to highway speed) Or even better if you can do a track day with many of the groups who rent the track you can get a real taste of what this track has to offer "at speed". Some events do a short course and others do the full track. The track is going to repaved and widened in a few places over the 2013-2014 winter months.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been going to VIR for a number of years. I have always thought this was a racing gem. This year was the first time I have been disappointed. The issue was not with the race, we had a great time at the Oak Tree Grand Prix. The issue was with camping at VIR. One of the things I have always appreciated at VIR is that they do not over control the place. You can pretty much go where you want to see the race. No one has ever told us we could not be somewhere, just because we did not pay enough.
That changed this year. We were there with 5 guys and 2 tents. We got there on Friday, and expected to pay $50 for one night camping. (they charge you for camping for the full 4 days rather than for one night) That cost for primitive camping is absurd, but we knew that was what they wanted, and were willing to pay it to be able to hang together and not have to drive somewhere on Friday evening. VIR charges $200+ for RV camping for the 4 days of the race. By Friday afternoon, you know who is taking the RV Spaces. No one is going to come pay $200 to park an RV for one night. So last year, we put our camp up in one of the unused RV sites, and no one hassled us. We had a great time.
This year, around 5:00 in the afternoon, "captain morgan" came on a golf cart, flashed a badge and said he was "security". He told us we had to move. We tried to talk with him, but he was adamant that we had to move. To avoid the hassle, we agreed to pay for the site. So we ended up having to pay $200 for one night of primitive camping. (5 guys splitting it was not bad to avoid a hassle) Captain Morgan seemed pleased with himself and left. Ten minutes later, 3 car load of people with tent camping tags pulled in and took the next 3 RV spaces. No one hassled them, and they stayed there through Friday night and Saturday.
The more I think about this, the more it bugs me. But then I guess we could have moved and come back to that spot after the captain left.
Will I come back to VIR? Yes, it is a great spot to watch road races.
Will I camp at VIR again? I don't think it is worth the cost, and it is really not worth a hassle.

5  Thank Dan S
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 October 2013

While staying at Smith Mountain Lake we took a day trip to Danville area (Alton) to see the VIR races. We have been there many times and love the adventure. Here you can sit next to the track and watch the many kinds of racing. There are two areas (Oak Tree turn-tree removed this year) or a larger area with less noise we like that is near everything. They have a wonderful road course where you can see the turns and straight areas. We like the classic car race with the BMWs, MGs, Cobras etc. as we also enjoy walking around the pit areas. There is a store for the patrons with a few shirts, parts, race suits, helmets etc. and a covered food area where you can sit and watch the race. There are picnic area under the trees near the track and a observation area above the food area. There is a well maintained red barn for working on cars and a covered pit area near the start with motel rooms over the pits for racers etc. We take a picnic basket and cooler and a tarp tent that we set up behind the car next to the track. Here you can back right up to the grass area and you don't even need to take the cooler out of the car. This is open most of the time for cars to park but can be closed if it is a big race. There are bleachers and an area for RV's, Motor Coaches etc. to camp. Some vendors are also available. There are races for motorcycles, historic cars, nascar, formula one and everything between. I like this type of racing as it is more interesting track than nascar around and around and is much less noise as the cars come around on a much larger track and a more interesting track with curves, turns with tree areas and rises and bridges over the course. There are condos and a motel on the grounds along with a spa and clubhouse. Kind of tricky finding it but watch for VIR signs as it is in an area by itself. Many famous people have raced here from nascar to formula one. Paul Newman, Patrick Dempsey, Carroll Shelby are a few of the people that have raced or been there to sign autographs. They have shows and events there also. Highly recommend for singles to families to get a taste of good racing, well run facility and beautiful grounds. We usually go on Fridays as less crowded and can see pre race trials.

Been to Virginia International Raceway? Share your experiences!