“Very Welcoming” 5 of 5 bubbles

44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Very Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to this winery. I always enjoy discovering new wineries in VA, especially those who produce excellent wines. A friend invited a group of us out (typical 30 somethings, some couples some singles, but all friends) and even arranged a tour with the owner. This is a small, family owned business and we felt very welcomed. They sometimes even employ teachers to lead the tastings on the weekend so they receive extra kudos for that. I don’t think there was a wine I didn’t find delicious and probably walked out with close to half a case to take home. The wines were not inexpensive but worth it. We had a picnic outside and enjoyed some wine there. I recommend it for a peaceful, relaxing and quaint atmosphere.

1 Thank grapeeape

Reston, Virginia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“We enjoyed the tasting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We did a quick tasting and took home a bottle of white wine. It's right off the main road. They didn't appear to have any food to order. Service was good. It has a historical vibe to it. This is a family- owned winery and everyone was very nice.

Visited October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Small right off the main road but they make some pretty good wines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Nice family run Winery and Vineyard. Family that runs it are very nice and there is a good story that goes along with the name Gray Ghost, but I will let them tell you it. Out of the 7 to 8 wines that I tried I enjoyed the first Chardonnay & the Cab Franc was ok. I prefer a bit more complexity though. Overall a nice visit and a nominal $3 tasting fee.

Dallas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gray Ghost Winery definitely worth the stop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stopped for a visit as part of a birthday surprise for my aunt. What a fabulous find! The tour was very informative and it's very obvious the owner LOVES what he does. We took part in the wine tasting (which we had reservations for - not sure if they were necessary, but we were glad we had them). Each of the wines were very good and Susie knew her product very well. I purchased the dessert wine and it was one of the best I've had. I definitely recommend this to anyone traveling in the Amissville, VA area!

1 Thank TxHunni
United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Another Great Experience at Gray Ghost”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We are big supporters of our local vintners and would like to see more recognition of the exceptional wines produced by our many wineries. We have visited many Virginia wineries and tasted numerous wines. Gray Ghost Winery remains one of our favorite Virginia wineries.

During a recent "futures tasting", we went to the wine cellar and tasted numerous wines drawn from a barrel. The wines are still aging and you get a sense for how the wines will taste once bottled. It is a fantastic experience with the Owner and Winemaker Al personally drawing wine from the barrel for pours and answering all questions about the wine-making process. Al is part chemist, part comedian, part historian, and a great winemaker.

The wines are fantastic and the staff are some of the friendliest people you will meet. Highly recommended.

Visited March 2013