“Decent wine and experience, worth the trip”
Review of Unicorn Winery

Unicorn Winery
Reviewed 14 July 2012

The wine didn't knock my socks off but there were some interesting offerings- Traminette with hints of basil and the Slightly Embarrassed (a rose' with a blushing unicorn- would probably make a wonderful apology gift). They also pushed a slushy mix (mix in your wine of choice and freeze). The tasting room opens onto the gift shop, which felt a little like a lobby, but the grounds outside were pleasant and included several seating areas and a pond with turtles and a fountain. Pack a picnic lunch and order a glass of the slushy to make your trip complete. Tastings were $5 and the smallish glasses are available for an additional $3 or 2 for $5 (they have unicorns on them!). The only food offerings we were aware of were the house-made cheese ball nibblers- with garlic, onion, and pecan, they were definitely an unexpected pairing for the sweetish Chambourcin grapes in their Crimson Sunset.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Richard and Sandy LePage were awesome hosts for our 1 day trip to the winery. They are long time friends and we new it was going to be great. My favorites are the blush and they have this unique red that is served cold that I just loved. They have a slush mix for wine that they sell...it's the bomb! I think they do a great job on the red wine. Make sure to go just up the road to see the covered bridge and then don't miss the canyons.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

This past Sunday was just a delight from the cold weather and rain although it was necessary. I decided to venture out in the countryside for some R& R. This is my second trip to Unicorn Winery and definitely not my last. The wine connoisseur (man) was personable, knowledgeable, engaging, and less not forget attractive. Both the red and whites were delectable to the palette and flavorable. I went outside to the patio area where the view was emaculate, green, and breathtaking. The entire outing was worth spending time soaking up the rays and sipping on some awesome grapes while the wildlife frolic below. A must see and do!

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Enjoyed this winery. Be prepared to just taste as it is not much to look at like the others. But you will enjoy yourself, the wine is delicious!

Reviewed 4 February 2012

We visited this winery on a groupon special. As it was the winter, it was too cold to sit outside with a picnic lunch but they have a nice seating area where you can bring your bag lunch.

Pro's
appealing grounds, nice pond area
nice grounds area to have a picnic on
nice wine "slushies", great for a warm summer day & they hit the spot just nicely.
white wines are good & reasonably priced.
off the beaten path.
no one else sampling when we arrived so we had personal service.

Cons
red wine is not great. They tasted watery to me with no full flavor.

The winery has a way to go to bring it up to some standards of the others.

small tasting area so if there was more than 8 people sampling it would be crowded.

Pet peeve of VA wineries- the servers need more customer interaction. Ask details about people- where they are from etc. Learn to engage the customer. None of the 3 wineries we went to this day did this. They did not seem interested in us. My suggestion- they should learn how the Napa wineries do this as they do this great.

Conclusion- would we go back? NO