“A Must Visit”

and up
Day Tour of Arlington Virginia
Ranked #3 of 107 things to do in Arlington
More attraction details
Owner description: Commonly called the "Iwo Jima Memorial," the statue is a depiction of the famous raising of the U.S. flag on Iwo Jima and is dedicated to all Marines who have given their lives defending that flag.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Iwo Jima memorial of the soldiers planting the USA flag has to be one of the most recognisable of all the American war time symbols.

The location is only a short ten minute walk from the Arlington National Cemetery and is well worth the visit.

When we were there there were about five coachloads of tourists as well as numerous others.

Definitely not one to miss.

1  Thank GordonJenkins
Write a ReviewReviews (2,048)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"awe inspiring"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Perfect in design, superior in detail. This one memorial to me is the U.S.M.C.. The price they paid will forever live in history. Life itself is so precious, but when called upon, and against all odds, they answered the call. This is a "Must" see, when you are in the D.C., area. My wife and I went during the day and night. It was amazing both times,but at night, I feel is best with the lights of D.C., in the background and the shadows on the memeorial, to me gave it a special meaning. Bring family members and friends of all ages, this is "The Price of Freedom".
Pictures/video,a must to remember.......

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was fortunate enough to have a view of the Iwo Jima from my hotel in Rosslyn, and it was really cool to see from such a distance. However, getting up-close-and-personal with it allowed me to really appreciate how LARGE and DETAILED this memorial is. Standing there, I really felt like I was watching metal soldiers in the act of planting the US flag. I recommend taking a tour bus to see it, since it is far away from the other monuments and the National Mall.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This excellent memorial is based on, possibly the most famous photograph taken during the Second World War. The Marines raising the flag at the top of Iwo Jima. A fitting tribute to the fighting Marine Corps.