“Good hotel, fair location.”

Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
atlanta
“Good hotel, fair location.”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel was good enough with great service but no on premise restaurant or bar, and a nearly 10 minute walk to the closest which were only the corporate chains around the mall. Nearly 10 minute walk to closest subway station. Hotel did run a free local shuttle. Good breakfasts.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Pro:
-Room is large with full kitchenette
-complementary Breakfast is nice with good variety
-Paid laundry(1.5$) in 3 different locations with a sum of 6 washers and 6 dryers for 24hours!
-location nearby the metro and the pentagon city mall
-clean and well kept facility
-complimentary fast wifi
-good choice for short/long term stay

Cons:
-don't know why residence inn group had felt in love with the sinks outside the bathroom! come on guys privacy is so important, why shall i brush my teeth while my roommates can possibly see me or defiantly hear me?!!
-paid parking for $23

Stayed for 4 nights loved the place! Staff are very friendly and pleasant to deal with, especially "zomy"very patient, warm and professional lady.
My little toddler loved the pool and the space in the room. Liked that i can have my breakfast to the room too.

Stayed January 2014
gpwee738, Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you were so happy with our hotel. We are the perfect hotel for families and extended stay travelers.
Yes, parking is $23/night. We regularly price compare, and maintain the lowest price f a covered, secure location in the area.
As far as the sink, I do understand your concern. We do experience moe guests per room than an average hotel room, and the idea is that one person can shower while the other gets ready for the day.
Thanks again for your comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back on your nex trip.
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Years ago our son lived in an apt building close to this hotel and we would stay here every holiday. Then he moved up north...but now he is back and we are delighted to once again visit this hotel. Not only are the people the best in the country, but the complimentary breakfast is the most abundant of any hotel we have ever stayed at...and we stay at a lot of hotels. Hot, cold, fruit, about twice the choices of the average Residence Inn. The hotel is clean and a short walk (or they will take you in the shuttle) to the mall and the metro. We stayed here in November and again in December and for a place to stay that is often much less expensive than DC hotels...but has easy access to everything via a short metro ride, this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: rooms on a high floor have view of DC and Pentagon, and Air Force Memorial.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a queen sized room (room 1708), and it looked exactly like the one in the picture that this Residence Inn has on their site. The best part was the room itself, and the staff was very helpful (extra towels, needed baking soda for freezer - which they actually ran out to the store and got right away, a plumbing issue, etc.). The room was comfortable and pretty spacious, so nice if you have kids and don't want them on top of you every moment. The pillows are really lumpy - when will I learn to bring my own? Also, when we were packed up and ready to leave, I saw that the desk was really dusty, so apparently, the housekeeping staff doesn't do a good job on that during stays, but perhaps between stays is only when they dust.

The lobby is very nice (close to the website picture - though the front desk has photos and not clocks), although the fireplace only gives off heat if you sit right next to it (typical of a gas fireplace). They have a breakfast buffet with a lot of options, but the kitchen staff seemed annoyed with any request (is there more butter?). The managerial staff was much better though. I wouldn't come down close to the last half an hour though because the other customers (during our week there) acted like they would never see food again. Example: There are 2 waffle irons, and one couple just stood there making plate after plate of waffles for themselves or their family while everyone else took turns with the other waffle iron or gave up (which was the case with us).

This hotel has no restaurant or bar at all, so if you need any food other than breakfast, you need to bring it (hence, the kitchens in the rooms) or order it in. The staff provides a couple of menus, and we wound up ordering from Sicilian Kitchen many times because they turned out to be the best - separate review on that coming. I put very good for room service because there really is none, but I did call down and ask them to bring me up a drink and snack (small area by the reception desk), and they were up within minutes.

Overall, a very good hotel to stay at for an extended visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Pentagon offer a very nice view.
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The staff at this hotel is as super-friendly as any, anywhere, no matter the number of stars or the level of luxury (which, while this is a nice property, if you want luxury, the Ritz is around the corner). Everyone, from the front desk staff to the housekeepers, to the folks working breakfast who had the unenviable task of trying to feed and clean up after the hungry holiday-time masses at breakfast, was extremely pleasant and helpful.

We had a view on the "east" side of the hotel, which allowed us to see the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial, and we could watch planes land and take off into and out of Reagan National (note: while the windows may be "sound-proof", I could still hear the larger departing planes in the morning, especially if they turned quickly to follow the River. Not horrifically bad, but if this is something that bugs you, request a room either on a low floor or try to get one facing the Pentagon).

The Metro is close by, but while some have said the neighborhood seems quiet and safe, I'd recommend taking Army Navy Drive for a block to the west and then shuttling down the street adjacent to the mall (when you can see Macy's, turn left!). The hotel is surrounded by vacant lots on the east and south sides, and it seemed a bit unnerving to walk past at night.

The room itself was nice and reasonably well-equipped. I have stayed at Residence Inns with ovens; this one didn't have one, at least in our King studio room. Also, for the life of me, I could not figure out how to work the thermostat, and there were no directions provided (I know: I should have called for help, but it shouldn't be rocket science, either). We like to keep the room about 60-65, and I kept waking up in the night to find the temperature in the mid to upper 70s, no matter what I did.

The other thing that I was irked by was the parking fee. I don't know if there are local offices with workers that might try to "sneak in and park" in the hotel lot (the Pentagon seems to have plenty of parking), but $23 a night seems like a reach, especially when there is no restaurant or bar on site that locals might visit. I could see 10 bucks a night, but 23 seems a bit much, especially when you consider that the system is automated and there is no labor cost to take into account.

By the way, unless you take the shuttle, be prepared to walk to any of the local restaurants (and don't bother with the Crystal City mall, whose brochures are in the RI lobby, if you are looking for a place to eat on Sunday), unless you want to pay yet another parking charge. And, if you want to save money on lunch and dinner, by the way, there is a Harris Teeter supermarket down the street. Be advised, you have to do a U-turn and make a quick right into the parking lot (with meters - first hour is free and competition can be fierce).

The pool and hot tub area was very nice and staffed by a lifeguard, but I swear I have never been in a colder indoor pool in my life! It warmed up over the course of the weekend, but I understand its hours are limited during the week to evenings only, which might have something to do with it.

Despite my qualms (most of the other reviews here are overwhelmingly glowing), I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: I would request a higher floor. The views outweigh any potential airport noise, no matter how sensit...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
gpwee738, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of the Residence Inn at Pentagon City on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you found our hotel so convenient. There are brand new buildings going up in the lot behind us now, and will soon be a thriving area with shops even closer. The noise from construction is negligible, an endsat 6pm.
I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in a 2 bedroom suite. We were placed on the top floor and had fantastic views of DC from Capitol Hill to the Washington Monument. Our room was perfect for our needs and had a full kitchen including a dishwasher!
Breakfast was included and served a variety of hot and cold selections, including a waffle station which our kids loved.
Pentagon City Mall is walking distance as well as a Costco, Best Buy and a CVS. The Pentagon City Metro stop is also walking distance but the hotel does provide a shuttle to the metro. Easy access to everything.
I used to live in DC so I'm familiar with the area. Those who haven't, may find navigating the spaghetti roads around the Pentagon a little confusing. Parking at $23/day was the only downside of this hotel.
We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing east on a high floor, the view is great!
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here late Friday, December 27th til Wednesday, January 1st. The hotel itself was great. Awesome location, less than a 5 minute walk to the Pentagon City Metro stop, great view of the Pentagon, just a quick trip to wherever we wanted or needed to go, and the breakfast was excellent. They also had a complimentary Italian night with unlimited spaghetti, Caesar salad, garlic bread, desserts, and beer and wine on Monday night and a champagne toast for New Year's Eve.

We had 2 rooms (it was my parents, my sister, her toddler and myself) and we had more than enough space between the 2 rooms. We did have a bit of an issue getting rooms next to each other - it took going to the front desk 3x for them to finally get us moved to even be on the same floor (we were originally on the 5th, while my parents were on the 9th), each time (in the morning) them saying it would be no problem only to come back around dinner time for them to tell us that there was nowhere to put us. After the 3rd time, we finally put our foot down and had them do it right then, rather than wait til the evening.

All in all, I would very, very highly recommend this hotel. There aren't that many restaurants immediately surrounding it, but if you are willing to walk a few minutes or drive a few minutes, there are several.