“Nice Hotel--very strict swimming pool lifeguard”

Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for six nights in July 2014. It is a very nice hotel. The facility is clean and the staff very friendly and helpful We could see the Pentagon, the Lincoln Memorial, and Kennedy Center from our window. The breakfast and the Monday-Wednesday happy hour food was good and very convenient. The proximity to the Metro line left us only minutes from the National Mall.

The thing that puzzled us was the swimming pool. The pool had a lifeguard, for which we commend the management. However, the pool had overly strict rules that left our kids uninterested in swimming in the pool Firstly, there was no jumping into the pool (not diving, but jumping feet first was not allowed). Secondly, there was one lifeguard that was overly strict in enforcing the "rules". One time, when the only people in the pool were my three children (13, 10, and 8), the lifeguard told the children that they weren't allowed to splash. They weren't splashing each other or splashing water outside of the pool, but they were simply splashing. Additionally, our 8 year old looks young for her age, so the lifeguard (there were two during our stay, this one was a young man who perhaps had a french accent) initially told me that she couldn't be in the pool unless I was in the pool within arm's reach of her. Firstly, she can swim well, which I had her demonstrate for him. Secondly, The pool isn't large, and there were two adults watching the three children in the pool, and we would have no problem helping her if she had any trouble. Eventually, my kids would go to the pool to check who the lifeguard was, and if he was the lifeguard (which he was for the last half of our stay), they wouldn't be interested in swimming. That was a pity. My kids aren't wild in the pool, and swimming on family vacations is a big part of what our kids are looking forward to. That was disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pentagon, washington monument, and lincoln memorial
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Doug A
gpwee738, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased that there were so many things you enjoyed about our hotel.
I was concerned with the "ovrly strict" lifeguard. you experienced. Although safety is the most important thing to us, it does appear that in this case we went too far, and we would never want someone to not use the pool based on who was working. We have addressed your concern with all lifeguards that service our hotel in an effort to increase the hospitalitywhile maintaining a safe place for our guests to relax and pay.
Again, apologize for the treatmnt you and your family experienced, and if there is anythig I can do please let us know.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this Residence Inn. Very friendly and helpful staff with questions about metro and getting ice for us at the front desk as we were checking out. We forgot to start the ice maker in our room, or would have used that. Excellent breakfast each am with many hot and cold options. Mon-Wed we were pleasantly surprised to have social hour which included great meals, such as chicken enchilada or sausage/peppers and rice. Location is excellent, just a few blocks from the metro. Kids loved the pool and rooms were very spacious and very clean! Will definitely recommend this hotel to friends/family.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicki G

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor. I am happy that you were so pleased with our hotel. I hope to welcome you back when yor travels bring you to our area again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We've stayed here twice as a cheaper alternative to staying in the city and for what it is it's a good value. Both times we've had Adam the front desk agent check us in and he's verrrryyyyy friendly and chatty. The rooms are very spacious and, as with most Marriott brand properties, meticulously clean. It's a short walk to the metro to go into the city which is why we stay there but if you're looking for bars, restaurants, or anything to do around the hotel you're out of luck. You can walk to the mall and that's about it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I glad you found our hotel so convienent, but am concerned that you were unable to find any restaurants or bars in our area. Th front desk agent you mentioned is the local expert o restaurants and bars, and there are many that are walking disance from the otel, and even more that are within the one mile that our free shuttle can take you to. I hope you reconsider us in the future, and we will be hapy to recommend several hot spots in the area.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this location for one night. The room was large and had everything we needed. Breakfast was great and I was very surprised to see the management helping to clear tables so guests could be seated more quickly. Close to all the sites and to the metro. Wonderful stay! Thank you!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Njp23

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Overall we were extremely please with this hotel:
Pros:
-awesome location (across from pentagon, 4 blocks from pentagon city metro, 10 min walk to pentagon row restaurants
-hotel was clean and remodeled!
-room was a great size and had a full kitchen
- great value for the price
- nice Pool and hot tub after a long day of sightseeing
-free breakfast and good selection
Cons :
Breakfast is crowded with lines unless you go before 8
Pool deck is extremely slippery due to ceramic tile - pool of my kids slipped multiple times
26 bucks per day for parking
We had to call the front desk 3x to get a new comforter for the pullout for my kids (the first one was dirty) the kids slept without it the first night and I had to tell the mgr to finally get one.

Room Tip: High floor for view of city and landmarks
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JD_pgh

Thanks for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor. I am glad you were so happy with the hotel overal. I have shared your cmments with the appropriate teams, and assure you we are addresing them. We do get extremely busy in the breakfast on weekends in the summer as the morning goes on, and highly recommend coming down early if possible. We have recently extended our weekend hours to 10am in an effort to help mitigate the lines. We are also working closely with our pool contractor to keep the deck dry. Again, I am glad that these few negatives did not detract from the great time you had, and as always we strive to improve.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

So I have made a decision. I am not going to do reviews based on the standard of the hotel -- that is too one sided. I think Trip Advisor should say, ;your overall rating of your experience!' Instead, I am going to do stars based upon the quality of the experience. to me, the whole package -- hotel, service, Wi-Fi, amenities, location, and demonstrated quality is what will make a difference with a hotel. With over 123 reviews and many helpful votes, I have been to a lot of different hotels and there are many that look good and then just suck for an experience. There are others, like Kambaku lodge, that may not have all the sexy amenities, but have a terrific staff and other resources that make it a 5-star stay.
So does the Residence Inn Pentagon City. They greeted me with a smile, immediately saw that I was A Marriott Rewards member and put me in a terrific new room looking towards the Capitol Dome. The room was spotless, new and in perfect shape. I had to work all afternoon, and the Wi-Fi was flawless, easy to use, and accessible. Of course, I had forgotten a power cord for my iphone (quickly provided by the hotel) and they even had an adapter for my computer (I live in Europe -- it was $6.00 but it was worth it). Throughout my stay the people were friendly, open and more than supportive. I have stayed in reported 5 star hotels (that I have rated a 2 or 3) that could learn from this staff. Need a ride? They have van -- would take you anywhere. Need a beer or dinner -- there is food every night? Want a good breakfast -- they have what you need -- not opulent, but the right basics to make a good b-fast.
But you know a good hotel goes the extra mile. I left a key item in my room, called them after I had checked out, and they did everything they could to recover this highly valuable item. Although we were not successful, my feeling is that it will turn up eventually. I was constantly reassured and supported by Patrick, the hotel manager, who worked diligently to help me find my item. The driver of the van made sure I got on the bus back to the airport, and they even encouraged me to have a quick beer to calm my nerves after learning that my item had not been found. Service means going the extra mile for the client and this hotel does it. I know the place to stay in DC if I want a 5 star experience. Residence Inn Pentagon City is the place.

Room Tip: Get 501 -- great view of the capitol
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tanksmon

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Staff was awesome and very helpful!! Especially Edgar (I think, if I remember it right) who checked us in. Location is great when visiting DC, very close to everything! It was clean and breakfast was good. I'd definitely come back and stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor. I am happy that you were so pleased with our hotel. I will pass on your thanks to Edgar!!! I hope to welcome you back when yor travels bring you to our area again.