“Totally Average”

Comfort Inn Ballston
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Good: The room itself was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The metro is seven blocks away, and there is a shuttle that leaves on the hour in the mornings and evenings. It is also convenient to major highways.

The Bad: The motel is undergoing much needed renovations. If I didn't have reservations and I had just walked into the lobby, I never would have stayed here. The lobby smells weird and is very dingy and dated, as is the breakfast area. The breakfast is below average, and who wants to eat in a smelly, dreary area? The maid service was odd - sometimes they left one towel, sometimes two. We had four people, so we kept having to ask the front desk for more towels. Our room looked onto "the courtyard," which is actually the parking lot. After reading other reviews, however, I would say this is the best, most quiet part of the motel.

Bottom line: This is an acceptable motel if you can't afford to stay in D.C. itself. I wouldn't stay here again, though.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CowardlyLion

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed here at this hotel about 3 months ago, hotel was under major construction. I had a conference the very next day the executive conference center, so sleep was an important matter to me. There was a lot noise due to construction. The front desk is currently located in a outdated, filthy, haunted restaurant. I was told renovations would be done before my next stay here. I returned and its still in the same condition. I originally had the reservation for 3 nights, but I obviously checked out the next morning. I was not able to cancel the entire stay (including the first night) due the cancellation policy. I've stayed at many different hotels, by far this one has given me the worst experience.. I never will be returning to this property. How ever the front desk staff was excellent, very kind and understanding. They are the reason why I might (maybe) re consider staying here. I gave this hotel 1 star due the kindness of the staff!

P.S. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank John l
Reviewed 26 June 2013

During our stay the hotel was under construction but that did not interrupt our stay at all. THe rooms are clean and large. Our room looked out over the parking lot but that was perfect since we did not have to hear the street noise. The hotel was right next to the expressway so it took us 10 mins. to get to D.C. every day. The breakfast was average with cereals, fruit, eggs and sausage. The metro train stop was also close by and for those that are too tired to walk the hotel has a free shuttle to and from the train stop all day. There is no pool at this hotel. Our room did have a fridge, microwave and safe.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Latinhoney
Reviewed 18 June 2013

First night there was only a small light at the clerk's desk; looked near abandoned and was quite disconcerting. About 5-block trek from the Metro; wish they told us a shuttle was available in advance. In the light of day, the neighborhoods between the hotel and Metro appeared pretty swank. Not sure if it is safer to walk through those neighborhoods at night or simply use Fairfax and Glebe. Our room was right at the busy intersection of Washington and Glebe, and was pretty noisy. Room was large, but carpets well stained and one AC was broken. Final morning the night clerk's shirt smelled FOUL. Management is simply not on top of this place, despite the construction. Serviceable but shabby hotel. Not so great for business travelers, but if the other hotels are too expensive, this can do. If vacationing with a car/family, and if the parking lot has space, this is probably a relative bargain depending on price. Had to call for additional discount after I found out there was such major construction under way.

Room Tip: By all means, ask for a room AWAY from both Glebe and Washington. Yes, further walk to the elevator...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AnAceBuyer_007
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed for one night 6/1-6/2 for a friend's graduation party in Arlington. Got a great prepaid rate through Choice Rewards. Room was clean & quiet. Bathroom is a little small but all my group did was sleep and shower there. Parking was easy, even got a covered space. Desk staff were friendly and got us checked in promptly. They are undergoing a pretty extensive renovation so you have to walk through a "work in progress" to get to the elevators. Just hang in there - once you get through the construction zone the rest of the hotel is nice. The hallways were also clean given the construction that's going on. Would stay again for a reliable, simple, no-frills stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DKC623
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Difficult to say more that they are always clean with comfortable beds and reasonably large rooms. The breakfast I am sure will be the basic but edible. Nice room tv etc.i really cannot say more as there is nothing exceptional, just always solid

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank steverA8718SU
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Yes, they are in the midst of a renovation, but the staff made every effort to ensure that we had a comfortable stay - April 20-22. This is our third stay at this Comfort Inn and each time our experience is pleasurable and memorable. Sunil and his staff were very pleasant and congenial. They allowed us to check out later than usual without any difficulty. The breakfast spread was good and I saw many families enjoying a sumptuous breakfast before setting out into the city. Situated close to the Metro, National Science Foundation, and universities, I think this is a great value added hotel for a comfortable stay at the capital.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family