“Americana was great, overall”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Oshkosh, WI
“Americana was great, overall”
Reviewed 21 June 2007

I was initially a little disappointed when I saw the small Americana;
it didn't look great. We had booked through Travel.hero for 2 rooms and the hotel only had us down for 1 room. Although he said they would be full (we were staying for 5 nights) he found us 2 rooms together.

Our room (302) was definitely "out of date" but that didn't bother us. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. The initial "stuffy" air was gone by the second day.

We were happy with the shuttle service, the breakfast, refrig. in room (we used their microwave off the front desk a few times). The hotel was quiet. We heard the traffic noise during the day but didn't
hear it at night.

We had a great view of the Washington monument from our window. The front lounge area was comfortable with free papers each morning. It was a hotel frequented by pilots and business people as well as people like us that wanted only a comfortable and safe place to sleep; gone all day to look at sites.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — old air conditioner in our room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mageneze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Townville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Our family stayed at this hotel for 5 days and were quite happy with it. If you want luxury, this is not the place for you, but if you want a good budget hotel (as we do), this could work for you. I will try to give you some pros and cons.

Cons: built in the 60's and could really use updating but I would guess that value of the location will not allow it to exist for too much longer. Breakfast is very 60's also. OJ in rubbermade containers, donuts, bagles with stick of marg & block of cream cheese (no individual containers), also no fruit or yogurt. No pool. Bathrooms are small but functional and very clean with almost no space for cosmetics (actually used the winow cil to put stuff).

Pros: Really great location in Crystal City and surrounded by upscale hotels. Only a couple blocks to the Metro (blue & yellow lines). Their shuttle will not only pick up and deliver to the airport but will take you to the Metro and to restaurants. We used shuttle on several occassions and it was very reliable. They took us to restaurant and gave us a business card to have restaurant call when we were ready to return to the hotel. One day it was raining when we returned from the capital, so we called and they picked us up at the Metro. No prob! Rooms are fairly large and very clean. Nice very white sheets and plenty of clean towels. Towels were not threadbare. Very nice and helpful staff.

If you are driving to DC, hotel is hard to locate. Address is Jefferson Davis Hwy but you have to enter from Eads. Hotel has most rooms entering from a central hallway but a few enter from an exterior entry. If you are visiting in winter, ask for a room with hallway entry to avoid draft under door.

In conclusion it was very clean and very safe! There were several flight crews staying there. For less then $100 a night it was a great budget hotel for us. I would be glad to answer any questions I can. Fran

• Liked — location and helpful staff
  • Disliked — old
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Franr123
Eldon MO
Reviewed 2 June 2007

We stayed 4 nights beginning 5/5/07. The hotel is very old, including an old exterior sign; however, it was clean, safe, & peaceful. We stayed on the 2nd floor. Bathroom just had a pedestal sink; real good hot shower. Refrig in room was nice to have. They have microwave in their small kitchen that you can use as needed. Breakfast was juice, coffee, muffins, bagels, several variety of pastries. No cereal or milk. We brought our own. Parking is in a covered garage and free! Easy to walk to subway, especially if you cut through the Marriott hotel center. Let the folks at the Subway ticket booths help you out if you're stuck cuz it's kinda tricky and doing it right the first time will save you $$. Hotel really did not have any extra's but we mainly used it for the evenings so a great place to lay your head. Mall & restaurants close by. If you don't expect a lot and want something inexpensive (cuz hotels in DC are costly), try this one out.

• Liked — Price & location to Subway; covered parking; cleanliness
  • Disliked — Should repair ext sign; add counter or vanity in bathroom & vent
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Kate7mom
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 May 2007

I just returned from Arlington Virginia. The hotel was difficult to find from the street due to the huge chains hotel next to them. I would look for small 5 feet pillars that is the driveway off Jefferson Davis Road. Overall the room was clean with tv, ironing board, blow dryer, hook up to computers and ice bucket. I admit it does look old and needs some work on the Outside. Do not be fooled by the neat 1950's picture on their website it is not that now. Parking was free and there is a shuttle bus I would just ask if you want a ride it does not do routes and stops in at certain hours.

The breakfast table included decent bagels not store bought, danish, muffins, coffee and tea. I had no problems with the staff except for maybe directions to the subway and a very small wastebasket only in the bathroom of the hotel room. Definitely old fashion type of hotel with the key for the door. But for the low price and the convenience of the subway very close it is worth it.

The mall 1.5 blocks down had a restaurant that had excellent ribs. The diner farther down than the Mall off to the left was fabulous with cheap breakfast prices and not more than a 3 minute wait from the moment you place your order.

Our only negative was the subway taking tickets to enter and exit and if you exit at a different stop it will not let you through. The ticket machines suck be very careful they do not give back more than $5 in change and what happen with us is we used our debit card twice in one day and it refuses a debit card after the first use. So be careful there.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — hotel set back from road
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dakim
Nottingham
Reviewed 28 March 2007

I booked this hotel after reading numerous glowing reviews from other customers. I was delighted with my experience and stay there.

Quite simply the Americana Hotel has to be one of the best kept secrets for affordable, high quality accomodation in Washington DC in a decent location too.

To give you an idea of the standard of this hotel, during my week's stay there I spotted a number of airline pilots used it as a reliable place to stay over. To me, that speaks volumes for the quality of the hotel accomodation.

I was in Washington DC for a conference and most of my colleagues were booked at the more expensive Hyatt Regency at $219 per night. In contrast, I got the great rate of $99 per night at The Americana Hotel less than a mile away.

The hotel offers great service and a complimentary shuttle was provided from the airport direct to the hotel. The hotel is also conveniently located less than two blocks from the Crystal City metro so accessing the rest of the city via Metro is a breeze.

My room was clean, well equiped and very comfortable and equivalent to many rooms I've experienced at twice the cost.

Really, if you have to visit Washington D.C. for any reason, I'd highly recommend The Americana Hotel in Crystal City, Arlington.

This hotel is now firmly fixed in my Rolex as be the only hotel I'll consider for Washington D.C. unless they're fully booked.

Great job Larry, Chris and the rest of the staff. Thank you for a really enjoyable stay.

A very happy customer of the Americana Hotel.

• Liked — The price and the staff
  • Disliked — Nothing - it is great in most departments
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank Shaunvino
Elliston, VA
Reviewed 23 March 2007

It was my understanding the hotel had been updated/renovated in the last few years but I don't think this was the case since the bathroom was done in pink and black tile. The location was okay, close to the Metro and surrounded by well known hotels with good restaurants. The biggest problem was the door to the room. You could see daylight when the door was shut. The weather turned very windy and cold and the draft was terrible. There was only a button lock on the doorknob and a chain lock on the door. Also, the door didn't automatically lock behind you. I'm surprised the wind didn't blow the door open.

The heat was a unit on the wall near the door and the only warmth in the room was the path of the heat; the upper and lower part of the room was drafty and cold. The worst was the bathroom, the floor was like ice, I put towels down to serve as a rug in order to stand in there. The decor was very outdated but everything was clean.

The continental breakfast was very basic with lots of donuts, bagels, and croissants. No fruit was available. The staff was nice but we were given incorrect directions a couple of times.

I wouldn't stay there again, I would spend the extra money for something newer and nicer even if I had to travel farther to get in to DC.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank clarkls
kicko
Reviewed 15 November 2006

I have stayed at Americana Hotel for 5 nights. The location of the hotel is very good, 5 minute walk to Crystal City Metro Station and 10 minute walk to Pentagon Fashion Center. The reception personnel was very kind and the rooms were very clean. Breakfast was ok. I recommend to all DC travellers...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from the highway
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business