Based on TripAdvisor reviews (and our budget), we chose to stay at the Highlander Motel for three nights while visiting Washington, DC on vacation this year.
The motel is, as stated by other contributors, basic. We stayed in Room 25, which is adjacent to the lobby facing the main road on the first floor. The room was clean with ample room for our things. The flat-screen TV had lots of cable channels from which to choose and reception was good. The bathroom area was remodeled and was very nice. The sink area was granite and there was a walk-in shower. Internet was free (as was parking!) and reception was very good.
The day of check-in, we arrived about 10:30 a.m., as we had tickets to see a National's game. When I made reservations I was told that parking at the motel would not be a problem at all - even if our room was not ready. Well, not only were we able to park -- but they had a room ready, as well! So we were able to check in and catch the subway to the ballpark right away.
We were about a 10 minute walk to the subway. The area is very nice...not seedy at all.
Each morning there is a small breakfast area from which guests can take breakfast back to their rooms. Remember, this motel was designed BEFORE breakfasts became common for motels. Still, they offer this perk and the choices are very nice. There was fresh fruit, donuts, bagels/cream cheese, and yogurt each morning. Of course, there was coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, as well. We appreciated the quick-start breakfast before leaving for our long days of sight-seeing.
Guest Service: Excellent!
To explain the honesty of housekeeping: The first day we left housekeeping's tip in an unconventional place (forgot to move it before leaving the room) and when we returned...the money was still there! Our housekeeper must have been unsure whether it was a tip, or money left out that belonged to us - so they did not take it! I took it to the front desk and made sure that the employee received their tip - and let management know how much we appreciated the honesty of their staff.
This is a nice motel that will appeal to those of us who remember when almost all rooms looked like this on vacations of old. Those who are more accustomed to shiny, new accommodations will probably not feel as comfortable at the Highlander.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Highlander Motel is an affordable motel in Arlington VA close to the FDIC, NSF, and George Mason University. We offer free parking, free wireless internet access and HD television. We are located 2 blocks from the Virginia Square Metro station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Highlander Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highlander Hotel Arlington
- Highlander Motel Arlington