“Exceeded my expectation”

Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Exceeded my expectation”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Excellent location and brilliant service! This is not my first visit to Washington and I must say that I have stayed in quite a number of hotels which did not meet my expectation! I have finally found a "home" in Arlington!!! I loved the spacious and spotless rooms... But most importantly the great customer service! The metro station at Virginia squire was the icing on the cake. I loved everything ...and will definitely come back again and again and again! For keeps

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lightness S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Avon, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Clean warm modestly updated room with a better bed than more expensive places I've stayed. Friendly helpful staff that aided me with my touring plans, and the location was great with many places to eat within a few blocks. Easy Metro ride from the airport and to all of the sights. 5 nights under $500 with taxes. I would stay again for sure!

Room Tip: First floor would be best if available. No elevator with outside walk up.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Todd F
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is something like our 10th stay at this lovely, affordable gem and I am honestly one of the pickiest travelers around. The Highlander is a GREAT find. Every time we've stayed here we've enjoyed a spotless room and wonderful, no-nonsense service. The beds are comfortable and rooms have been updated. Modest? Sure. But the value can't be beat. There's a metro station and terrific deli across the street, a convenience store next door (you can stock up your in-room mini-frig with bottled water and beer), parking and wi-fi are also FREE--all this allows us to enjoy the sparkly restaurants and other DC offerings without breaking our travel budget. One tip: Bring your own soap and (I do this for any city hotel stays) a white noise machine.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room in the back. These are quieter and a bit nicer than the ones facing the mai...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flannery_Columbus
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Recently stayed here for 3 nights. Stayed at other $200+ hotels in the area during my previous DC trips so not surprised to see this hotel got 4-star rating. Location is good, Giant Food is about a few blocks away next to a good Chinese Restaurant. Metro (Virginia Square) is a short distance walk. Price is nice compared with other hotels in the area. Wifi connection is ok. I am not expecting much because of the previous reviews of this motel - I am on the 3rd floor. Room is simple, bed is clean, bathroom is clean. No alarm clock (used my iphone), no coffee maker (got bottled water and fruits and snacks from Giant). I have good sleeps. Didn't try the breakfast though. I will stay here again in future trips when budget is a problem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank J H
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a drab and run down place that is quite unlike any of the hotels in the area. The only good thing about this place is the location. The price is good for the area but everything about this place from the furnishings to toiletries to linens is of a grade lower than motel 6. It has been a long time since I stayed at the place where the cashier sits behind a bullet proof window. I stayed here only because it was the only place that had rooms when I had to make a reservation for a last minute meeting in the area. You can park right outside your room if you drive. Otherwise draw the curtains tight because others are going to pull up with their headlights shining right into your room when they park.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is not a 4-star. I thought I found a great bargain online after reading reviews. I was in town for a St Louis-George Mason basketball game and stayed here. It was dated and seemed dirty. The staff was ok but seemed disinterested. Internet connection was also shabby. I won't be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frank B
Salem, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here for two days recently. Positives: good price and a nice, safe area. Few new updates that I loved: the granite in the sink area was really beautiful, lovely porcelain in the bathroom, new and very nice bathroom/sink fixtures. Loved the bedding (expensive comforter from pacificcoast.com) although it did looked like it had a good wear. They have VERY friendly and accommodating staff people. Good breakfast (bagels, donuts , fruits, yogurt) and coffee. Flat screen TV. In general it looks like they are working hard to improve and offer the guests an experience far beyond the two stars the motel is rated. Some negatives: although the room was non-smoking it had a reminiscence of cigarette-like smell. Also, while I personally did not mind at all, the mattress was on the hard side and the bathroom only had a shower (no bathtub). I plan to saty here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business