“Great Service, Comfortable Beds, Very Convenient Location”
Review of Highlander Motel

Highlander Motel
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My son and I were on a field trip to DC. Out of habit I was looking for a Residence Inn or similar. All of those options were booked and so after some very diligent research my wife found this gem. The price was right and it was within an easy walk (3 blocks) of a Metro (Virginia Square/GMU).

I usually struggle a lot with hotel beds but these were great and I slept better than I usually do when I travel. The room was clean and it was really nice to go into a place where there was not a price tag on everything. As others have noted there is a nice sized refrigerator in the room and a 7-11 within a block so we could get milk, water etc and keep it cold.

The staff was very friendly. On our last day I asked if they could keep our one suitcase while we were at the museums and they were very helpful.

They do have breads (bagels etc) and fruit for breakfast but we took advantage of a Starbucks right next to the Metro.

It can be noisy at night but it is a city.

If you are flying in and out of Dulles - take bus 5A and get off at the Roslyn stop which is just outside the Roslyn Metro station and take the Orange line to Virginia Square/GMU. Very inexpensive (6.00/person for the bus ride and just a couple of bucks for the Metro).

There are a number of nice restaurants in the area. I would be careful of the Mario's Pizza place next door - it was inexpensive and that was reflected in the quality of the pizza. One really nice place for families is a BBQ place called Rocklands about 6 blocks away from the hotel - it was a nice walk.

Between the hotel and the Metro is a community art building that had some interesting sculptures outside.

If you are not careful and look at the hotel on Google Maps it might look like an uncomfortable area for a family. That is not the case at all. The hotel has houses behind it and some very expensive townhomes/condos around it.

Oh yeah we packed light - the hotel does not have a guest laundry but there is a full service cleaners right next door that is open 7-7 and they will do your laundry at a pretty reasonable price.

I have a bad feeling that with all of the significant development in the area this place will disappear in the next five years which would be too bad.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ACCTProfessor

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Appearance is nothing to rave about, but rooms are actually fairly well-appointed.
Bath is modern. TV and internet work well. Desk clerk was helpful. Room was pretty quiet.
Seemed pricey to me at $125 with taxes, but for the Ballston area it's at the low end.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Excellent location and brilliant service! This is not my first visit to Washington and I must say that I have stayed in quite a number of hotels which did not meet my expectation! I have finally found a "home" in Arlington!!! I loved the spacious and spotless rooms... But most importantly the great customer service! The metro station at Virginia squire was the icing on the cake. I loved everything ...and will definitely come back again and again and again! For keeps

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lightness S
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Clean warm modestly updated room with a better bed than more expensive places I've stayed. Friendly helpful staff that aided me with my touring plans, and the location was great with many places to eat within a few blocks. Easy Metro ride from the airport and to all of the sights. 5 nights under $500 with taxes. I would stay again for sure!

Room Tip: First floor would be best if available. No elevator with outside walk up.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Todd F
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is something like our 10th stay at this lovely, affordable gem and I am honestly one of the pickiest travelers around. The Highlander is a GREAT find. Every time we've stayed here we've enjoyed a spotless room and wonderful, no-nonsense service. The beds are comfortable and rooms have been updated. Modest? Sure. But the value can't be beat. There's a metro station and terrific deli across the street, a convenience store next door (you can stock up your in-room mini-frig with bottled water and beer), parking and wi-fi are also FREE--all this allows us to enjoy the sparkly restaurants and other DC offerings without breaking our travel budget. One tip: Bring your own soap and (I do this for any city hotel stays) a white noise machine.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room in the back. These are quieter and a bit nicer than the ones facing the mai...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flannery_Columbus
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Recently stayed here for 3 nights. Stayed at other $200+ hotels in the area during my previous DC trips so not surprised to see this hotel got 4-star rating. Location is good, Giant Food is about a few blocks away next to a good Chinese Restaurant. Metro (Virginia Square) is a short distance walk. Price is nice compared with other hotels in the area. Wifi connection is ok. I am not expecting much because of the previous reviews of this motel - I am on the 3rd floor. Room is simple, bed is clean, bathroom is clean. No alarm clock (used my iphone), no coffee maker (got bottled water and fruits and snacks from Giant). I have good sleeps. Didn't try the breakfast though. I will stay here again in future trips when budget is a problem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank J H
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a drab and run down place that is quite unlike any of the hotels in the area. The only good thing about this place is the location. The price is good for the area but everything about this place from the furnishings to toiletries to linens is of a grade lower than motel 6. It has been a long time since I stayed at the place where the cashier sits behind a bullet proof window. I stayed here only because it was the only place that had rooms when I had to make a reservation for a last minute meeting in the area. You can park right outside your room if you drive. Otherwise draw the curtains tight because others are going to pull up with their headlights shining right into your room when they park.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business