My son and I were on a field trip to DC. Out of habit I was looking for a Residence Inn or similar. All of those options were booked and so after some very diligent research my wife found this gem. The price was right and it was within an easy walk (3 blocks) of a Metro (Virginia Square/GMU).
I usually struggle a lot with hotel beds but these were great and I slept better than I usually do when I travel. The room was clean and it was really nice to go into a place where there was not a price tag on everything. As others have noted there is a nice sized refrigerator in the room and a 7-11 within a block so we could get milk, water etc and keep it cold.
The staff was very friendly. On our last day I asked if they could keep our one suitcase while we were at the museums and they were very helpful.
They do have breads (bagels etc) and fruit for breakfast but we took advantage of a Starbucks right next to the Metro.
It can be noisy at night but it is a city.
If you are flying in and out of Dulles - take bus 5A and get off at the Roslyn stop which is just outside the Roslyn Metro station and take the Orange line to Virginia Square/GMU. Very inexpensive (6.00/person for the bus ride and just a couple of bucks for the Metro).
There are a number of nice restaurants in the area. I would be careful of the Mario's Pizza place next door - it was inexpensive and that was reflected in the quality of the pizza. One really nice place for families is a BBQ place called Rocklands about 6 blocks away from the hotel - it was a nice walk.
Between the hotel and the Metro is a community art building that had some interesting sculptures outside.
If you are not careful and look at the hotel on Google Maps it might look like an uncomfortable area for a family. That is not the case at all. The hotel has houses behind it and some very expensive townhomes/condos around it.
Oh yeah we packed light - the hotel does not have a guest laundry but there is a full service cleaners right next door that is open 7-7 and they will do your laundry at a pretty reasonable price.
I have a bad feeling that with all of the significant development in the area this place will disappear in the next five years which would be too bad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Highlander Motel is an affordable motel in Arlington VA close to the FDIC, NSF, and George Mason University. We offer free parking, free wireless internet access and HD television. We are located 2 blocks from the Virginia Square Metro station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Highlander Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highlander Hotel Arlington
- Highlander Motel Arlington