“Another good stay”

Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
New York
“Another good stay”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I was going to rate the hotel as a 4 for my last stay because I really do like the property. The rooms are large, clean and well appointed. Not luxurious, but definitely very comfortable. The area is also good. Not a great base of operations for tourists, but certainly a nice walkable area that's hard to beat when I come to Falls Church for work. The shuttle that will take you within a 5 mile radius is also great. But the shuttle is also why a I dropped the rating down to a 3. They picked me up quickly at work the first day. That evening I was the first to sign up for the morning shuttle, but ended up getting taken on a tour of DC and the airport before being dropped off at work, even though my stop was much closer. I told the driver I'd like a 5:30pm pick-up and he said sure, no problem. Only problem was he never told the front desk, so of course no ride at 5:30pm and had to make a few calls to get them to come get me. That evening they put me in as a recurring event so it wouldn't happen again. Only problem was he came and went at 5:20pm, they never called, and then he never came back until after 6pm. Aside from their inability to get their act together at the front desk, everything else was fine and I would certainly stay here again, but I would be hesitant to rely on the shuttle.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main road, which is a bit loud at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BethA114

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington for 9 nights while in Arlington for a long residency for UOPX. While the hotel wasn't within walking distance of the campus, I found that it just did not matter as the staff made me feel at home.

The hotel is located in Shirlington, which gives off a hipster/preppie vibe. It is right by a walking/running trail, a library and right across the street of a Harris Teeter grocery store (a BIG money saver if you are on an extended stay). The hotel is surrounded by restaurants and shops and is very convenient to travel from. While not on the metro, the buses do take you into Arlington and there is an enterprise a block from the hotel so that you can avoid higher prices at the airport. However, this does not matter because the shuttle service is phenomenal! The drivers are happy to bring you anywhere within a 5 mile radius, which includes the metro stations near Pentagon City and so forth. Regardless of when you need them, they will come to pick you up. I arrived very late from Reagan National and would leave very early in the morning but there would still be someone ready to take me. Once, while the shuttle was stuck in heavy traffic, the hotel called and told me to take a cab which THEY paid for. This is just the beginning of the level of service the staff provides.

The hotel rooms themselves are quite large, and my room had a great view of the trail and canal. The bed is a little tricky, but it is adjustable! The shower has amazing pressure and the linens were clean.

The staff was phenomenal. Polite, courteous, and knowledgeable. I had placed an order for room service and the food wasn't what I had ordered and to apologize, they offered a free dessert.

Save your money and eat elsewhere. The food isn't horrible, but with so many options around the corner, it would be a waste. Also, while the car might be cheap to rent, parking is very expensive overall so take the shuttle. The tips cost me far less than the rental alone.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as the views are very pleasant.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marilia v
Columbia, MD
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I'm a local to the DC/Baltimore area and my family decided to go on a last minute short-distance trip to Arlington for the last night of the Labor Day weekend. I read the nice reviews of this property and decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did. It's a very nice hotel in a nice location and with a wonderful staff.

One thing that is important to know about this property is that if you haven't been here before, it can be a little hard to find. It is located within an outdoor shopping and entertainment complex. The hotel sign is easy to miss and it took us a while to figure out exactly where it was and where to park (you need to park in the garage named Garage 1 - right next to the Harris Teeter Supermarket - and on Level 4). But the parking is free and once you figure out where to go, it's just fine.

The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful, professional and nice. They seem to have a service-oriented attitude - that is, they seem that they really are concerned that their guests are happy and accommodated. Our rooms were clean and attractive and we immediately felt comfortable in them. We went to breakfast the next morning. The staff at the restaurant were so very nice and friendly. They gave us great service as well as good conversation. The hotel has a very small swimming pool - one of the smallest that I've run into. However, what I thought was great was that even in this small swimming pool and spa area, they had a lifeguard on duty. I've been to a bunch of hotels recently that didn't have lifeguards on duty at all. In addition, there are also many restaurants and shops within easy walking distance of the hotel.

So, in a nutshell, I found that this hotel was pretty much everything that the reviews I read said that it was. Nice, clean and comfortable with a great staff. It's definitely more of a business hotel. But it worked just fine for a last minute overnight family getaway. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CommonSenseDude
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Please be aware, there are two Hilton Garden Inns in Arlngton. I meant to reserve a room at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington on N. Courthouse Square but not knowing there were two, I booked the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington/Shirlington. I was bummed out because my kids live right near the Arlington Hilton and it is very convenient to stay there but since we went through a third party booking agent we were committed at the Shirlington Hilton.
When we went to checked into the Shirlington Hilton they had overbooked themselves and we did not have a room. So they wanted to put us up in another HIlton so they booked us in the Hilton Arlington with free parking.
It all worked out. We did lose 2 hours of time as the confusion was sorted out but we ended up where we wanted to be.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AprylK
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Great rooms, great location , great staff ...what more could a traveller ask for ? Room had the most comfortable bed I have slept in in a while and was really clean and well designed . Front desk staff and shuttle service drivers were very polite and helpful . Would certainly stay here again .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Readytogo50_10
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 3 September 2012

You can't beat the price, especially considering it includes free parking and free WIFI. You can't beat the location, since it is literally minutes to the National Mall (whether you get up early enough to get a free 3 hour parking spot on the mall is up to you...parking is TIGHT everywhere). Plenty of those soft Hilton pillows on a great bed. The management staff is very helpful and very friendly. One of the elevators went down when we were there, but it was operating again the next day, and we had a room service issue that was addressed promptly and professionally by the front desk. I don't understand why the lap pool opens later at 10am on the weekends, because sometimes an early swim is a great way to start the day. Oh...and you have great shopping, restaurants, and even two theaters (movie and stage) immediately nearby. This hotel is a great base of tourist operations for the outside visitor. We did not try the restaurant or bar in the hotel, so we can't talk about those features. We would definitely stay here again, and maybe even try a suite.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glen L
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed here several times in the past few years. Clean, comfortable rooms, a great location with good restaurants and shops nearby that offer more appealing choices than the in-house restaurant IMO. The exercise room and business center are welcome services that meet my travel needs. The staff has always been helpful and attentive to requests. Parking in the garage across the street is included.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple