“Outstanding moules frites --overpriced drinks”
Review of Thirsty Bernie

Thirsty Bernie
Ranked #389 of 941 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American, German
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We dropped in with our family late on Saturday night if Memorial Day Weekend and were surprised at the lite crowd. My wife and I split a Heart of Palm salad and the Moules Frites. Both were outstanding and the frites were as good as we have had in Paris (France)!
My son had the Reuben, which he has always liked at this place, and my grandson had the 12 grilled wings.
All the food was delicious and more than abundant --- but when it came to drinks the pricing was outlandish ! $12 for a small glass if house wine and $ 3 for a Shirley Temple???!
You decide.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

The service was both slow and forgetful. Necessities like silverware were left off the order, and the wait staff never asked if everything was OK. Food was fine, but overpriced for what it was.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I've been to Thirsty Bernie (at the corner of Glebe Rd. and Lee Hwy. in Arlington) several times in the past couple years. I usually eat there with my boyfriend but have also gone with other friends and family. The restaurant is clean and cozy (a little dim, but that's not so bad) with a bar along one wall and a choice of bar-height and regular tables in the restaurant. They also have limited outside seating at the front.

Everyone I've taken to T.B.'s has loved the food: They have hearty, German-inspired sandwiches (Beef-On-Weck, pastrami) and entrees. They use lots of good-quality meat in their sandwiches -- I especially like the Reuben. The waffle-cut cheese fries are delicious and decadent (if not very diet-friendly). Once we had a sampler of meats and cheeses that was good (though I prefer a sandwich). They also have really great crispy breaded onion rings (better than their fries, I think).

It's a good place for a draft beer and a hearty sandwich, while watching a game on TV. But it has a family atmosphere (not just a sports bar) and you often see families with kids there earlier in the evening.

The one problem we've continually had with Thirsty Bernie is their service: For some reason, even though the place is small and not very crowded when we go for dinner or lunch, the servers just ignore you. Not sure why. It seems like a matter of organization -- maybe they don't have a clear plan for which server takes which table or when the bartender should be helping the customers instead? It's never been a major problem for us because we don't have kids and aren't usually in a big hurry, but it's kind of annoying when you're sitting there waiting for another drink and can't get the attention of a waiter.

Overall, we really like Thirsty Bernie and recommend it for couples, friends, families and sports fans who like delicious bar food in a casual but cozy restaurant.

1  Thank VirginiaGrad1998
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Perhaps it's because I tried to avoid the typical bar fare, but based on initially visiting Thirsty Bernie Wednesday, August 7, 2013, I'd not again attempt to eat there. The place in my experience seems better suited to drinking beer while watching sports on numerous television monitors.

Seating myself at the bar on a weekday during happy hour (5:00-7:00 p.m.), I encountered the opportunities of $2.00 off large draft beers (24 ounces) and some food specials. Eschewing the many burgers, sandwiches, and french fries offered, I selected from the list of specials Korean short ribs accompanied by a side order of sauteed spinach. I also asked my server for some bread on which to munch. She replied that she could bring me a roll, which she kindly did while I awaited the rest of my food.

Without exception my food order proved unexceptional to poor. The roll arrived small, stale, and hard. The medallions of short ribs, sliced thinly, consisted mostly of bone. Apparently sauteed in MSG, the side vegetable tasted more like salt than spinach. Served me right, I guess, for avoiding the creamed spinach alternative. When my server inquired about how I liked the short ribs, I replied, "Lots of bone," which she interpreted as a complment. At that point I chalked up my trial of Thirsty Bernie as a mistake not to repeat.

Thirsty Bernie struck me as a casual, friendly enough spot to drink but not to eat. Ongoing redevelopment in the vicinity hopefully will bring more restaurants offering better fare.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Thirsty Bernie is a good place to go for burgers, beer, and brunch. Nice service, good food, plenty of TVs tuned to various games.