“Authentic homemade Salvadorean food in a family friendly atmosphere.”

La Union Restaurant
Ranked #177 of 895 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Mexican, Salvadoran
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I vacationed in El Salvador many years ago. So when I started looking for a restaurant that had home cooked Salvadorean food it was a long journey until we found this delightful little restaurant very close to the Ballston area in Arlington, VA.

This is a family run restaurant. The whole family is involved cooking, serving, being fine hosts. This is very authentic but non-greasy food. Kids love it here as you can order basically any combination of food. If you want some chicken or guacamole or just beans or a tamale or burrito it is very easy to order by the piece or by the plate.

As an adult you can pick and choose what you want to eat. They are very flexible. If you have not eaten Salvadorean tamales this is the place to eat them. Their sweeter version from yellow sweet corn called, Tamal d'elote served with sour cream is very soft, and flavorful. The Tamal de Pollo is the savory version of tamale with white corn meal stuffed with chicken a little taro, and some spices is steamed in a banana leaf. This is also very nice and soft with a nice spicing which isn't hot. The burritos are really huge unless you order a child's plate which they allow adults to order. My favorite is the ground beef and spinach enchiladas.

If you have never eaten pupusas (a flat handmade corn tortilla filled with cheese or cheese & pork or other choices served with a vinegar based cabbage slaw) this is the place to try them. In fact, I am spoiled and won't eat pupusas anywhere else. Everything from chips to salsa, chicken, beef in many forms (ground, shredded, steak, fajitas) is always really fresh.

This family is very friendly -very inviting to kids in particular and knows most of the customers by name.
The only downside is that on weekends at night it can be very crowded. And, although they are very quick to serve the food if you show up after 6:30p you can expect a wait.

They have a variety of foods including a very good "sopa de res" beef soup. CARNE DESHILADA which is shredded beef with eggs tomatoes green peppers that is very moist and very delicious --it's a ton of food. There are so many other choices I can't mention them all.

1  Thank viaggiareconpoco

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I went to the restaurant by a recommendation of a friend. The food was simply amazing and the server was great. Always with a smile and the food was serve super fast even when the day was so busy. I are the pupusas with chicken and cheese and there were super delicious.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We ate at La Union on a busy Saturday night. The restaurant was packed and we grabbed the last open table. The waiter brought us the obligatory chips and salsa to start as he took our drink order. The chips and salsa were just OK. The salsa was very liquidy and hot. The chips were run of the mill.

I ordered the combo fajitas and my husband ordered a combo plate. The food arrived in a timely fashion. My plate of sides (rice, beans, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes) arrived early so my rice and beans were cold by the time my sizzling fajitas came. I enjoyed the meat more than the chicken.

My husband had a tamale with chicken and potato (that was new). The tamale had too much dough in my opinion. The remaining entree, enchilada and chili rellenjo (sp?) was pretty good.

I can't say we'll drive out the way to eat here again but if we were in the neighborhood, we'd stop by.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We love coming here to meet up with friends. Simple atmosphere but good food and selection. Waitstaff always friendly and welcoming. Very home-y. The soups on the weekends are interesting and delicious! My favorite dish are the sour cream chicken enchiladas!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

La Union, is definitely one of the top three Mexican restaurants in Arlington. I wouldn't rate it as high if I was comparing it to Mexican restaurants in Texas, but for the DC metro it's hard to beat.

The small restaurant was filled when we dined on a Friday night and the servers work as a team so you are never friendly service. The parking lot is tiny so plan to park on the nearby streets.