“Business traveler takes mother to see the sights in DC as a birthday present” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Gateway Marriott

Crystal Gateway Marriott
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Utica, New York
“Business traveler takes mother to see the sights in DC as a birthday present”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I made reservations online for two standard rooms at the Crystal Gateway in late October. I made no mention of my mother or the intent of the trip. When I checked in with her late on a Sunday evening, Nikki was my Marriott receptionist. She was very friendly and clearly enjoyed her customers and the service she provides. As soon as she heard me mention that I was traveling with my mother, she surprised me with an upgrade for her to a junior suite! I thanked her for taking the initiative, and her perceptiveness that I wanted to make this a special time for my mom. Nikki then discovered that I made a mistake on my own reservation, mistakenly booking my last night at another Marriott hotel with a similar name, and Crystal Gateway looked like it would be sold out that night. Cheerfully, she worked for 10 minutes (there was no one else in line) to help me find a room in Crystal Gateway for my final night. All the while, she cheerfully engaged me in discussion in order to help pass the time for me, sharing some interesting stories of places she worked with Marriott during her career, and it was clear in her voice that she truly enjoys talking with her clients and her job. It was wonderful talking with her . When all was done, she also had surprised me and booked me in a junior suite as well, on the same floor as my mother! What a nice surprise!

While I am at it, let me say, as always, the facilities at Crystal Gateway are top-notch. Staff everywhere are going out of their way to be seen and be of assistance, from unloading your bags, to getting checked in, to getting directions or local advice. Even the chamber staff! The concierge lounge staff is exceptional They know you by name. There is one older woman who works there whose name I cannot recall, who always exudes motherly care for her guests by greeting them, helping them find what food/drink they might need, and talking with them if they appear to be lonely and looking for conversation. What a great place for someone on the road to feel at home!

Parking is convenient and average for downtown DC ($26/day). Rooms are always in great shape with modern amenities. Noise levels are quiet, despite being across from Reagan National Airport. Love the proximity to the metro...a short indoor walk that escapes the weather.

I would love to be the manager of this hotel...I would be excited with the great job I am doing and the staff I have working for me!

Room Tip: All rooms have what would be called an "average view" East side rooms (even numbered) get...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Korean first
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at the Marriot for a seminar. This was the most luxurious hotel stay I've ever experienced. The bed was my favorite part - SO comfy - I felt like royalty. The staff was overly nice & helpful - I didn't want to eat at the restaurant on site, so I ordered the food and brought it to my room to enjoy the bliss (food was amazing too!) - the staff were more than accommodating. So, all in all, if you can afford it, stay here. If you are considering for a honeymoon or anniversary - YES, this place is well suited for that too!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong. Everything at this hotel was 5 stars!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

There is always something about DC hotels (well at least Marriott hotels in DC) where you will experience someone who just doesn't want to do anything but the minimum amount of work. The front desk staff was polite and helpful. I asked about ordring room service as it was late. He said I would have no problem as they don't close until 12. Calling room service at 11:56, here is my conversation:

Me: "I'd like to place a room service order but there is no in-room dining menu."
Her: "Room service is closed."
Me: "Well the front desk staff said you are open until midnight."
Her: "Well room service is closed."
Me: "So you aren't really open until midnight. Why bother even picking up the phone."
Her: "Well what is it that you want to order."
Me: "Don't bother."

And this is pretty close to the experience I have at the Key Bridge Marriott at least once every few stays. Is it too much for people to do their jobs?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Chris H, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Chris S.
Thank you for your post. I read your exchange with the operator while trying to order a meal and I get the sense of how frustrating that was. I apologize it was not handled more graciously. We will review with our staff and make sure we can take orders up to the closing minute. Thank you for your feedback. Chris Hughes
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed here for a large student conference. We had two adults and 12 high school students. The woman who checked us in was able to place us in rooms next to our students. Having stayed at other hotels with student groups, this is not always the case. And when she didn't have enough rooms with two beds, she upgraded one room to a suite so the students would at least have a bed and pull-out couch.

As there were roughly 1000 high school and college students at the hotel, there was bound to be a noise complaint. It was taken care of immediately. Thank you!

The beds were wonderfully comfortable and the rooms were clean and updated.

We had coffee in the atrium bar area and the staff was great, as was the woman at the concierge desk. No complaints at all?

Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

The hotel was clean, the rates were reasonable, and the staff was friendly. Extremely convenient as well - we traveled via bus and metro from BWI airport! We would definitely recommend staying here and plan to again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank A D
freehold nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Made reservations thru central reservation and specifically stated I wanted the Marrriott Crystal Gateway location. Unbeknownst to me, the reservation was made for the Courtyard Arlington Crystal City. We had quite an exhausting journey from Florida to Stamford, CT, and were stopping in DC on way back specifically to see my daughter, who lives two blocks from hotel where I believed where was the reservation.
It was late and dark, and we found out the reservation was not at this hotel. I asked the manager if he could honor the rate of the other hotel, which was $98. His accommodation was charging the rack rate of 199. I pleaded with him to give us a discount, since I was a retired military employee, senior citizen, AAA member and surely one of the discounts would apply. Stone-faced, and totally unsympathetic, he gave us directions to the other hotel. Turns out, his directions were incorrect and it took 30 minutes to reach the other hotel. As a Marriott rewards member, I expected some consideration, but received nothing, except an independent, and rude reception.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lukefreeholdnj
RI, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Front desk staff were nice and fast. Convention staff changed rooms and served meals quickly and efficiently. Location allows you to get to the Metro without ever going outside.

Keep in mind people go to the area for convenience, not ambience - Crystal City is a sterile area with nothing memorable or particuulary fun to do.

I was at a convention for about 1,000 and the common areas right outside the function rooms were low ceilings, very tight and chopped up. It did have a lobby bar area that could handle about 50 people.

Room Tip: Remember there are two Marriotts within a few blocks - they call this one the "Gateway."
1 Thank jtlongo