I made reservations online for two standard rooms at the Crystal Gateway in late October. I made no mention of my mother or the intent of the trip. When I checked in with her late on a Sunday evening, Nikki was my Marriott receptionist. She was very friendly and clearly enjoyed her customers and the service she provides. As soon as she heard me mention that I was traveling with my mother, she surprised me with an upgrade for her to a junior suite! I thanked her for taking the initiative, and her perceptiveness that I wanted to make this a special time for my mom. Nikki then discovered that I made a mistake on my own reservation, mistakenly booking my last night at another Marriott hotel with a similar name, and Crystal Gateway looked like it would be sold out that night. Cheerfully, she worked for 10 minutes (there was no one else in line) to help me find a room in Crystal Gateway for my final night. All the while, she cheerfully engaged me in discussion in order to help pass the time for me, sharing some interesting stories of places she worked with Marriott during her career, and it was clear in her voice that she truly enjoys talking with her clients and her job. It was wonderful talking with her . When all was done, she also had surprised me and booked me in a junior suite as well, on the same floor as my mother! What a nice surprise!
While I am at it, let me say, as always, the facilities at Crystal Gateway are top-notch. Staff everywhere are going out of their way to be seen and be of assistance, from unloading your bags, to getting checked in, to getting directions or local advice. Even the chamber staff! The concierge lounge staff is exceptional They know you by name. There is one older woman who works there whose name I cannot recall, who always exudes motherly care for her guests by greeting them, helping them find what food/drink they might need, and talking with them if they appear to be lonely and looking for conversation. What a great place for someone on the road to feel at home!
Parking is convenient and average for downtown DC ($26/day). Rooms are always in great shape with modern amenities. Noise levels are quiet, despite being across from Reagan National Airport. Love the proximity to the metro...a short indoor walk that escapes the weather.
I would love to be the manager of this hotel...I would be excited with the great job I am doing and the staff I have working for me!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Crystal Gateway Marriott, located minutes from downtown Washington, D.C. And less than 1 mile from Reagan National Airport. Explore the entire Washington, D.C. Area via the Metro which is connected to our Arlington hotel. Step into our spacious hotel lobby here in the heart of Crystal City, VA, and enjoy complimentary wireless Internet access. Settle into one of our nearly 700 well appointed rooms and suites, each offering plush bedding, flat-screen TVs, and Marriott's unique Plug-In technology panels. Dine onsite at The Atrium or Restaurant Mez or grab a quick bite at Einstein's Bagels shop. Hosting an event in the Washington, DC area? Explore our hotel's 35,000 square feet of versatile and sophisticated venue space, and enjoy our prime location near Washington Reagan Airport (DCA). With the Crystal City Metro at our hotel doorstep, discovering the many attractions of Arlington, VA and downtown DC has never been easier. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Marriott, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Crystal Gateway Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel Arlington
- Marriott Hotel Crystal Gateway
- Marriott Arlington
- Arlington Marriott