“Couldn't get past the door...”
Review of Athena Pallas

Athena Pallas
Ranked #69 of 925 Restaurants in Arlington
Price range: US$15 - US$15
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I would love to write a thorough review of this restaurant. However, my husband and I never got passed the front door. We visited on a busy Saturday night. While I don't mind waiting for a table, I do expect someone to at least acknowledge our presence. Because there is no waiting area, we stood crammed into the doorway for 20 minutes with other guests. No one greeted us or otherwise acknowledged that any of us were waiting for a table. The management acted totally uninterested in helping us and it was clear that there were not enough servers in a large busy restaurant. It's too bad, because the food looked great. But we won't be back to a restaurant that clearly doesn't care enough to greet customers.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I dined here in the early evening. The restaurant seems to be past its prime. Looks like its heyday was maybe 10-15 years ago.

The horiatiki salad and saganaki were decent but not extraordinary. We shared the lamb kabobs, and I would rate this main dish as average as well, although the sides of vegetables were good. Service was subpar.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have been going to this gem for years and have never had a bad meal. I frequently have the Greek Sampler, simply because I cannot choose just one of their many delightful dishes.

Their Fish Plaki is wonderfully prepared but, unfortunately, they use Tilapia in this dish. When it was done with Sea Bass, it was fantastic. Their preparation is great, with a wonderful sauce, but I find Tilapia to be as unpleasant as it is unhealthful.

Their souvlaki, Moussaka, spanakotiropitakia, and stuffed grape leaves are all fantastic.

You have to spend a lot more money to get a better Greek meal, anywhere!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

If you want genuine, authentic Greek this is the place! The best Greek salad in the Washington area! A real meal! Mixed greens, generous black olives & blocks of tangy feta, and absolutely the BEST dressing I've ever had!

On rare occasions when I don't get the salad, grilled chicken is terrific, roast lamb, chops, kebabs the same. All seasoned well, not overpowered, and not over salted.

I've taken numerous friends here over the years (we've been going here about 15+years) and the high quality and terrific food have never faltered.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Just finished dinner at this place. Was in Crystal City on business and was looking for a place within walking distance of the Marriott Gateway.
First, if you are looking for atmosphere, this is not the place. But for a nice family-owned restaurant experience with good food and decent prices, this is it. Only 3 beers, no draft available. I had a Mythos (Greek beer....not the greatest but drinkable). Older gentleman served as my waiter...went over the specials for the evening and I went with the pork chops (2). I also had a greek salad (~$5). Things were brought out in a timely manner...perhaps 15 minutes. The chops were hot and very juicy...like they literally just came off the grill. Served with mashed potatoes and broccoli and bread. Seasoning was perfect....did not need salt or anything else. $16.95 and worth every penny. I decided to go with baklava for desert (~$5). The piece was pretty massive...it must have weighed close to a pound. Drizzled with honey and tasted absolutely incredible. The final bill was $35.
I recommend this place. I'm not sure of how good their traditional greek entrees are, but what I had was great and expect the rest of the menu is equally as good. I would go there again.