“conveniant for DC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lebanon, Connecticut
“conveniant for DC”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

With the benefit of Priceline I was able to secure two rooms at the Le Meridian for a fantastic rate. As there was a total of 6 of us including our exchange student I emailed the hotel manager Allen and asked for 2 rooms nearby with two beds in each room and a higher floor~with such a great rate I thought I'd take a chance. I was thrilled when Allen emailed me back stating we would be able to have our requests. When we arrived I decided to self park and had no problems. It is initially confusing trying to exit the garage and then go to the 4th floor for check in and then a seperate elevator for the hotel rooms but there was always a valet or employee nearby to direct anyone where to go. Our rooms were on the 10th floor (again thanks Allen!) and had a nice view of the river. The location for metro access was ideal! We have been to DC countless times and stayed at a number of properties and being so close to the metro is a big plus. Rooms were neat and comfortable and good size. The lobby had free wifi but the teenagers were able to link on the wifi in the lobby and still have it on the 10th floor rooms. All in all I was pleased!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
DC
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel frequently when it was part of the Kimpton boutique traveler group. It is now a Starwood property. You cannot beat the location, a block from the Orange/Blue line metro, a short walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown in one direction, Iwo Jima memorial with monument views in the other. For me it is an ideal location whether I have business in Virginia or the District. All the fixtures and finishes remain the same which is good as it is a nice, sleek design.

The service has slipped significantly and is motel standard. Bathroom amenities are soap dispensers on the wall and one tiny bottle of lotion. Bring anything else you would expect to find in a hotel, for instance Qtips. This $200+ night a hotel will change your sheets only every 3 days but they will not tell you this when you arrive, nor is it posted in the room. When I asked the Duty Manager about this he replied it was a Starwood standard - which it is not. One day they did not service my room at all. Again, the Front Desk defaulted the argument to this being a "green hotel."

There is a program where you can put a card on your door skipping maid service for a credit at the bar. Me, I'd rather have clean sheets and towels, especially when I am staying for 8 days.
I will stay again because of the location but will radically reduce my expectations.
Le Meridien, Green is Great but Cheap is Cheap and experienced Starwood hotel travelers who expect a certain standard know the difference.

Room Tip: Try for higher floor with water or monument views.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Spoiledtravelguy
Epping, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed here while attending a program at Georgetown. The hotel is great.... Beautiful and classy, modern. The rooms are very comfortable. There are a lot of options for food nearby at different price points. However-- if you choose the green option at checkin- you won't get housekeeping and that was not explained. If you need to be at Georgetown, there are more convenient options... Cabs are 6- 12 depending on traffic. Overall, if the location works and you get a decent deal- it's a lovely hotel!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Well, I gave this hotel another shot last month,and I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking to a wall.

To begin on a high note, the things I appreciated before are still great: location, people, etc. however, much to my schigrin, the same ellipticals that were broken last visit were STILL BROKEN! This is completely unacceptable. The gym needs major work to qualify for a three star hotel gym.

Also, I find it incredibly cheap that they only offer communal shows products. I could care less if it is "green." I, and I think most guests, find this practice quite gross- and very cheap. (Side note:why do hotels use "green" to cover their cheapness???)

Finally, the restaurant was still quite good- although, I wish they would stay nope a bit later!

• Stayed December 2012
New York
Reviewed 1 January 2013

This is like many hotels in the Arlington Area. Nice, clean, near Metro, Convenient to DC, Georgetown. Nothing really special however. Check in is not on the first floor. You need to take an elevator to the lobby, not a big deal. The gym is adequate but small. No pool. Because this is a business area, prices on the weekend are reasonable.
The problem I had was that I like to self park so that I don't have to wait for the valet. They advertise self parking but the parking is owned by someone else so if you do self park, there is no in-out privileges. Every time you take out your car, you have to pay, and then get another ticket and pay again if you use it more than once in a day. All the hotels I have stayed at that have self parking allow unlimited in/outs. But they really don't have their own parking so you are stuck with the valet. The building is a mixed use with condos and a hotel. Worth it if you get a good price but nothing special. We got a free breakfast with our stay and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AKK
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The location of the Le Meridien is excellent. It is located near the Rosslyn metro station which provides easy access to Washington, DC. Going to the hotel from Reagan Airport was also very easy via the metro system.

The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The view was also fantastic too; the view we had was of Georgetown. Sleeping was no problem as the beds were quite comfortable. However, the bathroom was a little bit on the small side. The small bathroom was not much of a problem though. There was a combined shower and bath in our bathroom. I was not a fan of the sliding door though since it cannot lock.

Overall, the Le Meridien Arlington was a great choice. It was nice to stay outside of Washington, DC, but also have easy access to it. I would recommend the Le Meridien to anyone that wants a nice comfortable stay outside of Washington.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank arthursiew
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Dear Arthursiew,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. Happy to know that you enjoyed your visit at the Le Meridien Arlington. Please see us again soon.

Allan
Naugatuck, CT
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed here for a recent quick getaway to DC on Sat/Sun nights. It was very reasonably priced on the weekend. The hotel was a bit difficult to find since it shares a building with a expensive condos and so the hotel tries to keep a low profile. For the weekend, self-parking was $12 a day and valet was $18 (plus tips of course). The parking garage is really set up for valet though, with most of the cars triple-parked, and if you self-park, they may require you to leave a key with the valet anyways in case they need to move your car.

The lobby for the hotel is on the 4th floor and there is no direct elevator to the rooms. And no direct elevator from the parking garage to the lobby. So if you self-park, that is three elevator rides to get from car to room. Luckily we just parked when we arrived and didn't go back to the car, so it wasn't a problem.

The rooms are nice and modern as expected. Bedding is fine, there is a safe and a desk with power outlets, and an iPhone dock. The bathroom door is a bit odd, sliding into the wall and not having any kind of lock. The showerhead was rain-style and lots of hot water, although I prefer more pressure. The pump bottles for shower gel/shampoo/conditioner seem a bit chintzy for this level of hotel, although the products were quite nice with asian fragrances.

The staff was very nice. The front desk gave very helpful restaurant advice and directions, and everyone we ran into greeted us kindly. Only knock was that we had to go back and ask for our included breakfast coupons, and I would expect that to be handled during check-in.

As mentioned, we used a AAA rate to get included full breakfasts, which were quite nice. On the weekend it was a full buffet, and on Monday morning it was ala carte service with the free breakfast being a standard American eggs + meat breakfast. They were very nice and accommodating of my vegetarian girlfriend and made her a mushroom omelette as a substitute, which we really appreciated.

The location of the hotel was pretty great. The main shopping street in Georgetown really is just a 10-15 minute walk across the bridge. The Circulator bus also runs from Arlington into Georgetown if the walk is too much. The Metro station is indeed right across the street from the hotel, although it's kind of diagonal and up a ways so it ends up being a five minute walk. Staying in Georgetown proper would have other trade-offs like no close Metro, so this Arlingon location is a good compromise.

I would definitely stay here again, although at full weekday prices there may be better options in DC proper.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smackfu
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear Smackfu,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We are all excited to hear that you enjoyed your weekend getaway at the Le Meridien Arlington and we exceeded your expectations. We look forward having you again soon.

Allan