“Rollercoaster of Hospitality.” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Rollercoaster of Hospitality.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Me and the bf booked this hotel for an early birthday getaway day trip to dc. The agent that checked me in was absolutely AWFUL. (his name was tee something). I have a legal name and a given name. So i had requested for the reservation be made under my legal name. Long story short, the reservation was done by spg under my given name. Naturally, the agent asked me to verify or provide id for that name, i found the original email, with the confirmation number, with BOTH NAMES and even MULTIPLE emails of communication with spg regarding this reservation. HE DIDNT EVEN LOOK OR ACKNOWLEDGE THE emails. SO.... WHATS THE POINT OF MAKING A BIG DEAL IN ASKING ME IF YOU'RE NOT EVEN GOING TO CHECK?! seriously. I was annoyed. OH, let me add, this was AFTER he was arguing with another guest. We then asked him about parking.. he brushed us off and rolled his eyes at us?? Seriously? are we BOTHERING YOU? OR disrupting you in what youre SUPPOSED to be doing, your JOB??!

Moving on, we were assigned to a 6th floor room. Typical starwood standards, comfortable layout, cozy space. Loved it. Upon entering the room, I went to check and open the drawers and ended up breaking my nail. So, ladies, you know what i'm talking about, that rough edge that just bothers the doodles out of you and yet theres nothing you can do about it. So I called down and asked for a nail file to get sent up. OF COURSE. WITH MY LUCK.... that Tee guy picked up. He told me he'd check with housekeeping .. I waited about 1 hr in my room before heading out to our dinner reservation, and NO ANSWER. if you didnt have one, i really wouldve appreciated if you'd call and tell me that. Dont leave me hanging and waiting for a nail file after you tell me your gonna check !!!

When we came back from our day, ready to retire, I had stopped by the front desk to ask for a nail file, again, since i never got an answer. The sweetest agent - Raymi? - checked and checked his drawers and contacted housekeeping and genuinely went out of his way and load and behold.. HE FOUND ONE!! I then inquired about my rate and checkout time, he was so sweet and helpful and politely told me that since i had a prepaid rate, he was unable to disclose the details. This is what i expected from a le meridien !!!

The hotel is sufficient, great shower, good workspace/ desk area. comfortable bed. It was very centrally located to all the tourist-y things we did as well. About 5 min from arlington cemetery, if not closer. just across the bridge from DC 's national mall. Location is great. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family, to all tripadvisor dc visitors. Just be on the lookout for Mr. Tee-something upon checkin. Wait a little longer on the other line, my friends. Or deal with unnecessary aggravation.

1 Thank Aubrey P
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Dear Aubrey P,

Thank you for providing us your feedback, I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your visit with us. I'm so sorry to hear about your encounter you had with one of our team member. Please contact me at your convinience, I would like to talk to you about recent visit.

Thank you so much for your business.

703-894-5062

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Le Maridien Arlington is a hidden gem among many hotels in the Washington DC area. With its impeccable staff and clean well appointed rooms I use this hotel as an escape from the daily grind of the city. I first found this hotel one night when I was feeling under the weather and didn't feel like making the drive from work to home. I saw a 4 star hotel on Hotwire.com in the Arlington VA area and figured why not give it a shot. I was surprised that this hotel was in walking distance from my office in busy Rosslyn VA, but once you enter through the main doors and inhale the pleasent aroma filling the entryway, you'll feel a million miles away from the City (in a good way).

From that point forward I now go out of my way to book nights at this hotel just to relax and regain my piece of mind. Just check in, drop your things, take a nice hot shower, then go downstairs for a good meal in their restaurant or sit by the fireplace with a well mixed drink and ponder. Their full service bar is awesome and the bar staff is always so friendly and helpful.

This is just my perfect chill place and I highly suggest it to anybody looking to get away from the city grind. Oh, and if your looking for a nice quiet place to spend some romantic alone time with that special someone, this is the place!

Side Notes: I'm sure it would be good for vacationers but not for families. Please, keep your rug rats out of this place for my own sanity. Close good access to the city but really, why would you want to leave the hotel?

Room Tip: Just talk to your front desk host. They are very helpful.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear Vince B,

Thank you so much for your feedback, very happy to know that we exceeded your expectations.
Please visit us again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Let me first start by saying, I lived in Arlington for six years and loved this hotel as a Palomar. I now do not live in the Arlington area, but when I was planning a Valentine's weekend getaway for my girlfriend and I, I thought immediately of this place. I booked this hotel way in advance for two nights. I saw that there was a cheaper priced option on the website, but they were non-refundable, so I decided not to book that option since I wasnt sure if we would definitely make it. I just cancelled my trip (three weeks prior to the actual date of the trip) and was only rewarded a credit to my account for one night. I think three weeks is plenty of time for them to find another guest. I am shocked. I have never heard of this policy anywhere and certainly not at an upscale botique hotel like Le Meridien. I now have to eat that money because of this. I am very dissapointed and disgusted with this and chances are, I will not be returning because of this. Why have a non-refundable and refundable option? Ridiculous!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PJ3333
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear PJ3333,

So sorry to hear about the issue experienced with your cancelled reservation. At your convenience please contact me at 703-894-5062, I want to find out more about your cancelled reservation.

Thank you so much for reaching out, I look forward hearing from you.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

We booked a pre-paid, no-refund 3-night stay via Hotels.com for an inaugural weekend getaway. This wound up being a great value! The hotel is very conveniently located across from the Rosslyn Metro station, assuring easy access to everything we wanted to see/do in the DC Metropolitan area. We were greeted warmly and check-in was very smooth. The hotel is beautiful with sleek modern decor and music that adds a slight "hipster" vibe. Our room had no view, which initially disappointed but found that this actually made our room incredibly quiet and dark enough in the early morning to sleep in. The bathroom was spacious, the shampoo/soap products good quality. The king bed was very comfortable and we slept great.

I'd have given this hotel 5 stars if not for issues with the downstairs doormen. Again, we visited during inaugural weekend and knew that this could be a "gouge the tourists" opportunity but we were very put off by the pressure of a particular staff member to hire a town car. While trying to hail a cab (something a different doorman had done for us!) he kept telling me we would never get a cab, no one would stop, etc. I called a local cab service and then told the doorman that we'd have a cab in 10-15 minutes. He then regaled me with how notoriously unreliable this cab service was and "they are probably going to jack up their rates." Given that he offered me a "deal" on a town car at the rate of $85.00 an hour with a 3-hour minimum, I found that beyond laughable. We wound up paying about $20.00 for our cab ride.

I would and probably will stay here again. But beware of looking like a tourist and do a little research. Part of what makes a truly good hotel is feeling that the staff truly want you to have a great stay... feeling preyed upon does not promote that!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Robin O
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Ms. Robin O,

Thank you so much for your feedback! Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit at the Le Meridien Arlington. Please accept my apology regarding the issue experienced during your visit. Do you mind giving me a call to further discuss so we can fix the issue moving forward?

I look forward hearing from you, thank you again for staying with us.

703-894-5062
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

The hotel is located in a prime location if you have business in the North Arlington area. There are a large number of companies very close by. There are a few food options around at different price points. I took a quick 5-10 minute walk to expand my restaurant choices a bit. Not too bad, as you don't necessarily have to take a cab to find something to eat outside of the immediate area.

It's a fairly quiet area of town. very safe, clean, business mixed with residential as you go up the street. The room itself was very nice. I was upgraded to a suite due to my starwood status which had a jacuzzi/tub and elliptical in the suite. There are full size shampoo/conditioner/shower gel dispensers in the shower so that's an added bonus for those who travel with only carry-ons and have to deal with <3oz items and who would prefer these over the little trial size bottles hotels usually provide. If you have a tub like the one in my suite be careful not to step on the plugger or better yet just pull it out because you can step on it and plug the tub while showering and not notice right away like I almost did.

Not sure what the hoopla is about housekeeping. If you put the tag on the door that signals you want to skip housekeeping. If you do not hang the tag on the door, then housekeeping comes by. I did not put the tag on my door and housekeeping came by each day. If you do hang the tag on the door they will not clean your room, towels, sheets, etc. in exchange for a $5 food credit or 500 starwood points.

The room was clean, in great condition, and the staff extremely helpful as I was a business traveler and my first time in Arlington. There is a happy hour of some sort that provides complimentary wine/beer and seems to wrap up at 6. Not sure when it starts..maybe 5. All in all nice stay.

Room Tip: Sign up/become a Starwood member.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Dear ATLGAPeach,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! Very happy to hear that we met all your expectations. Please visit us again soon.

Lebanon, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

With the benefit of Priceline I was able to secure two rooms at the Le Meridian for a fantastic rate. As there was a total of 6 of us including our exchange student I emailed the hotel manager Allen and asked for 2 rooms nearby with two beds in each room and a higher floor~with such a great rate I thought I'd take a chance. I was thrilled when Allen emailed me back stating we would be able to have our requests. When we arrived I decided to self park and had no problems. It is initially confusing trying to exit the garage and then go to the 4th floor for check in and then a seperate elevator for the hotel rooms but there was always a valet or employee nearby to direct anyone where to go. Our rooms were on the 10th floor (again thanks Allen!) and had a nice view of the river. The location for metro access was ideal! We have been to DC countless times and stayed at a number of properties and being so close to the metro is a big plus. Rooms were neat and comfortable and good size. The lobby had free wifi but the teenagers were able to link on the wifi in the lobby and still have it on the 10th floor rooms. All in all I was pleased!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel frequently when it was part of the Kimpton boutique traveler group. It is now a Starwood property. You cannot beat the location, a block from the Orange/Blue line metro, a short walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown in one direction, Iwo Jima memorial with monument views in the other. For me it is an ideal location whether I have business in Virginia or the District. All the fixtures and finishes remain the same which is good as it is a nice, sleek design.

The service has slipped significantly and is motel standard. Bathroom amenities are soap dispensers on the wall and one tiny bottle of lotion. Bring anything else you would expect to find in a hotel, for instance Qtips. This $200+ night a hotel will change your sheets only every 3 days but they will not tell you this when you arrive, nor is it posted in the room. When I asked the Duty Manager about this he replied it was a Starwood standard - which it is not. One day they did not service my room at all. Again, the Front Desk defaulted the argument to this being a "green hotel."

There is a program where you can put a card on your door skipping maid service for a credit at the bar. Me, I'd rather have clean sheets and towels, especially when I am staying for 8 days.
I will stay again because of the location but will radically reduce my expectations.
Le Meridien, Green is Great but Cheap is Cheap and experienced Starwood hotel travelers who expect a certain standard know the difference.

Room Tip: Try for higher floor with water or monument views.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business