“Very nice and convenient”

Le Meridien Arlington
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Very nice and convenient”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've stayed in a lot of Starwood hotels and I will say this up front for the Le Meridien Arlington: It's not your typical Starwood hotel. Not in a bad way, but curious. Some of the choices are more typical of a Luxury Collection hotel, some kind of a mishmash of the various Starwood brands, and others seemed more like it had been a Marriott in a past life.

That being said, it was really very nice. It was also decorated with real panache, very boldly styled, and the service was excellent.

So here are the pros: great views of Georgetown and even the Washington Monument from high floors, beautiful decor, fantastic location, nice restaurant and bar, excellent service. Also, the Waterview building it's in is amazing. I'd buy a condo there in a heartbeat. As a guest, you should think of this as being almost like staying in Georgetown, as they pretty much roll up the sidewalks at night in Arlington, but you're only 3/4 of a mile walking from the heart of M Street.

I also can't say enough about the service! They were kind enough to receive my bike (for a multi-day touring trip) via FedEx, then hold on to the box while I was out of town, then get it for me to pack my bike up, and THEN hold on to it until FedEx picked it up. I mean, that's service, considering they had my box for 12 total days and I was only a guest for three nights.

On the downside I found that the beds were not really up to the Heavenly Bed standard; the sizes of the rooms left something to be desired; room service was comically slow; the furnishings, although beautiful, felt more like Sheraton than Le Meridien; and the coffee in the room was vomitously awful. They did provide coffee in the lobby, so I schlepped down each morning to get a cup, but I would just as soon have consumed what I had if that had been a viable option.

I recognize that Le Meridien is relatively new to the Starwood family, and that this hotel was formerly part of a different chain. So I'm willing to cut them a little slack. But this hotel was priced like a Westin and for the most part it really only met the Sheraton standard.

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors have superior views. 5th floor rooms have a wall just 2-3 feet outside the wind...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank particleandparcel
Paula Y, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback; we are always delighted to have loyal Starwood members as guests. We strive everyday to continue to improve on all areas of our service and standards to deliver what is expected by our loyal Starwood guests. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to Washington DC.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for a night only but this was a really special hotel. The rooms were clean, everything was brand new, decorated nicely, the bathroom was a piece of art... We booked this hotel from expedia and the price was like a joke. It was really cheap for a luxurious comfort like this. Also the front office was really helpful. Generally when you book from a third party, you wont expect this kind of nice treatment from front office. But this was an exception.

Thanks to everyone that made my DC trip an unforgettable one... I will reccommend this hotel to everyone...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank umutaytac
William D, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Le Meridien Arlington. Our staff strives to go above and beyond for every guest. I am happy to hear that you had a memorable experience here. We look forward to you returning next time you are in the Washington DC area.

South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is an excellent hotel. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Hotel is located just across the Key Bridge from Georgetown. The elevators take a little getting used to, as one set only goes to the 4th floor (where check in is located) and another goes up to the rooms. It is a nice play to stay.

Great running route if you come out of the hotel, turn right on Lynn, go across the Key Bridge and then as soon as you get to the end of the bridge take the trail on the right down to the Potomac where you can run all the way into the Washington Mall.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RunningOnAndOn
Dear RunningOnandOn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Le Meridien Arlington. With our location, there are so many great running routes throughout the city. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Gastonia, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

During my DC visit, I wanted a hotel that was close to a bike rental facility, kayak rental facility and metro. This hotel was close to all. I discovered it was adjacent to the Mt. Vernon Trail and Captial Crescent Trail, perfect for cycling. Also situated beside the Key Bridge, I found I could walk to safely (even at night) to Georgetown's campus, Georgetown restaurants and shopping and the Kennedy Center. I never needed a car. Everything was close by foot, cycle or metro.

The hotel offered many things I valued: Friendly staff, comfortable and clean rooms, four complimentary newspapers, complimentary morning coffee and 5:00 wine, and a beautiful patio overlooking Washington DC with an incredible view of the sunrise and sunset .

Would I return? Yes!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane S
Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Le Meridien Arlington! I am glad to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. We take pride in our service and clean and comfortable rooms! Please visit us again next time you come to the DC area.

Western New York
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel, I think, was once an apartment building or condominium. My wife and I were traveling through the Washington area and were looking for a place to stay that would be reasonably priced but close to the subway. Le Meridien was advertising an $89 room rate... about $30-40 less than the nearby Holiday Inn. The hotel itself is beautiful and if you can get it for the rate we did, you should take it in a minute.

However, there were some odd things about it. First of all, it's hard to find. The sign is rather small and we drove by it twice before we actually located it. Parking is not free, but I don't really expect that it will be in large cities (though there are some hotels in Rossyln that do offer free parking). And, most importantly, the logistics are a bit difficult. The reception desk is not on the ground floor. You walk in the lobby and you are directed to an elevator where you go up a few floors to get to the reception desk. We checked in and then went back down to the first floor to put our car in the garage.

Be careful parking! The spaces are arranged in such a way that it is possible to park so that you will block another car in (or get blocked in yourself). Once parked, you take an elevator back up to the lobby and then take a walk to the elevator that will get you to the reception area and then take an elevator up to your room. As I said, the arrangement is a little odd.

The rooms are nice, and we did have a view of Georgetown. We walked over the Georgetown for dinner. The hotel is close enough to the Key bridge that this is quite possible to do. In fact the location is wonderful because it is convenient both to the bridge to Georgetown and to the subway.

There is a lobby bar and before going up to our room we decided to have a drink there. The selection of wines and liquors is really very limited. It is clearly not intended to be a public bar, but instead to serve the residents only. For example, they don't have any way to take credit cards. We ended up charging to our room, but there really wasn't any practical way to tip the bartender.

The bottom line is that the place is very nice, upscale, and very clean. But it does have some unusual edges. My wife thought that she would not be likely to stay here again. I certainly would be willing to do so, but only if I got another really good deal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jahansen,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Le Meridien Arlington. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. While we do have a full service lounge, some evenings Amuse is rented for private functions. When this occurs we have a cash bar in our living room to accomodate all of our guests. Please come and visit us again next time you are traveling to the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed here for one night and liked the hotel overall. I had a King room with a great view of Georgetown and the Key Bridge. The clean and spacious rooms, were comfortable like I've come to expect from Le Meridien. The location is also pretty nice with coffee shops and restaurants right around the corner and the Metro a couple blocks away.

The front desk staff were particularly friendly at checkin and checkout. However, the service was a bit slow. When I called down for room service in the evening and then again the next morning, the front desk connected me, but the room service line just rang. Eventually, the calls rolled back over to the front desk. It's a small hotel and seems to run with a bit of a skeleton crew. I had the french toast for breakfast and would highly recommend it.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank andy843
Dear Andy834,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Le Meridien Arlington. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with our hotel. Please come and stay with us again next time you are in the Washington DC area.

Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 20 September 2013

my wife and i almost never get out of the house without the kids . "babysitters" just aren't for us. so once or twice a year when grandma comes to visit we try to schedule a weekend away. D.C. is always our go-to destination and the Le Meridien is always our go-to hotel. the views of the river and Georgetown are fantastic and the staff is super accommodating. i would like to mention James and Will specifically. they have made us feel cared for from the time of check in till the moment we checked out. James suggested a really nice restaurant in Georgetown called Sequoia. a beautiful place right on the water. It was amazing and we cant wait to go back again. we were given the two room suite as a very generous upgrade from James during our most recent stay( 15th anniversary) .this room was the most impressive room we have ever been in Exquisite ...luxurious. . modern, clean and comfortable.
we LOVE this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank itmustaben
Tee L, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the staff at the Le Meridien Arlington, we'd like to thank you for your kind words about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you had positive interactions with our staff. It is our goal to ensure that every guest that stays with us has a positive experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Tee Loofa