“Mixed Experience”

Le Meridien Arlington
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel location was ideal with a short walk to both the metro and Georgetown and reasonable car/taxi drives to other key locations. The room was spacious, clean, and the bed/bedding comfortable. For conducting business I appreciated the comfortable work desk, chair, and free wifi. The front desk and room service staff were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to assist me. The friendly, efficient, and effective services offered by the front desk personnel were impressive. The only negative was no coffee/tea in the room. I don't want to get dressed to go obtain an evening or morning coffee/tea. And, I don't want the interruption and hassle of room service to obtain something so simple either.

The Amuse restaurant "team" was the polar opposite, and is the reason for merely 4 stars. The restaurant closed by 930pm leaving you with a limited room service menu from that point and little surrounding the hotel as an immediate option.

The one evening I planned to dine with a friend in the restaurant, we had begun in the lounge area. I tried to order drinks from one server but was informed it was not her area and someone else would be over soon. In the time she explained we were not her job, she could have taken our drinks order and passed it along to the server for that area. Self-interest only performance.

We ordered drinks after a wait, from our assigned server, and an appetiser. We ordered a second round of drinks and tried to order dinner. We were informed the kitchen was closed. I was surprised the server had not informed us the kitchen would be closing (we might also have liked to have ordered another appetiser). Perhaps it was someone else's job to tell us the restaurant would close soon?

Knowing the surrounding hotel area did not offer many options, and most closed early, I suggested we order room service and eat in the lounge (my room was hardly appropriate). I was also exhausted after a long day working and did not want to have to get out again. The restaurant staff merely stared at us and offered no assistance in placing an order from room service. It was not their problem our server neglected to inform us the restaurant would be closing. Helping us would take effort and might return no tip, so we were on our own.

We abandoned our full drinks, at a cost/waste of $30, to rush out before the few other places nearby closed at 10pm.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Frankie H

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Spent 4 nights here last week and it was WONDERFUL. So close to the Metro that got us all around D.C. and a nice walk over the Key Bridge to Georgetown.

The hotel is lovely, modern and welcoming. But most of all, the staff was super. Not only were they very friendly, but sooooo accommodating as well. We had a couple of minor "issues" with our room and before we could even report them, one of the managers approached us as we exited the elevator and asked us how our stay was and if there was anything they could do for us. We reported our two little issues and went promptly to have breakfast (in the hotel).

After breakfast we went back to our room and they had already addressed and fixed the two little issues! Talk about fast, efficient service! I will sing the praises of this hotel to anyone who is interested in going to the D.C. area. We will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 84LittleLulu50
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel early June for 3 nights. As an SPG platinum member I booked the stay on points and upgraded it with my “suite nights”. We really got a nice, clean and spacious suite. The living area was nice with a pull-out sofa for the kids, flat screen and a nice view over Georgetown. The bathroom was cleans and spacious. The bath itself was the biggest I have ever seen (our kids used it as a swimming pool) and it had a separate shower. The bedroom was modern, had a king size bed and again a view over Georgetown.

The hotel is just a short walk from the metro to both Arlington cemetary, Georgetown and the white house area. Even though it is a business district, there are many good and affordable places to eat.

During our 3 week holiday, this was the best SPG hotel we stayed in.

Room Tip: try to get a room with Georgetown view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Knibbe
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a hotel room as a part of gift and surprise for my mother's birthday. Family and I stayed one night at the hotel. The hotel is WOW! Delicious breakfast at Amuse and yummy Cappucino/espresso at Latitude Bar. Unforgettable experience for our family and my mother's birthday retreat! Hospitality team won our hearts with warm feelings. Bravo to Adul, Front Desk representative who is skilled in creativity how to get welcome arrival experience and big applause to a hospitality team who treated us like royal! WOW!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BizVisitor
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is located in basically a business area. It is about 2 blocks from the subway and just across the bridge is Georgetown. The group rate for the room was very attractive.

My room was on a corner and was fine for one person; it may have been a bit cramped with more than one. It was extremely clean and well-kept. While the sound-proofing is not great, it is adequate. The air conditioning, when it comes on, is extremely loud and annoying; you actually have to turn up the TV and then turn it back down when it goes off.

While the hotel room was fine, I am convinced that they teach the staff to either ignore or give guests a "your bothering me" look when they approach. Even when you get their attention it seems as if whatever they were doing before was way more important. I don't believe that I have ever seen such a consistently poor attitude in any hotel. Sometimes people have bad days, but everybody?

Overall good if you have a business meeting, but if you are a tourist there are much better alternatives nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ExperiencedTravelers
Paul P, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Experienced Travelers, Thank you so much for choosing Le Meridien for your recent visit. I am disappointed to hear our staff were not friendly and welcoming as they should have been, Please accept my apologies for any areas where we have fallen short and rest assured I will share your comments with our team in order to improve. I can assure you our green program is favored by many guests and is not a way to cut Housekeepers wages. It is to reduce the amount of washing and chemical cleaning products used in your room thus being environmentally friendly. We understand this is not a priority for everyone which is why we give our guests the option of opting in.
If there is anything I can do for you do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be glad to help.

Paul
Le Meridien Arlington

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were in town to see my artwork hanging in the Pentagon, so we wanted to be nearby. Which means you're near all the D.C. attractions.
Le Méridien Arlington is located in a busy business district during the weekdays. Le Méridien is a beautiful, modern, upscale hotel. They had very friendly and helpful staff. They were more than willing to accomodate us upon our early arrival to the hotel. The lobby, bar & grill are what you would expect at this price point, sleek & chic, (Check Expedia for a great rate).
There are plenty eating establishments within walking distance, Chipolte, and Ruby Tuesday, to name a few. The area is very safe. On weekdays there are several food trucks parked curbside.
Fun fact, from our room we could look across the Potamac river to the Exorcist (1973) stairs, those of you who know, recall this famous movie scene.
You are just across the river from Georgetown, a wonderful neighborhood. We ate at Pier 2934, Cajun Seafood with an asian twist, we had the po'boy sandwiches.
You'll find that parking is at a premium in the entire Washington D.C. area. By-pass the valet at Le Méridien and park your own car for $18.00 a night, you cannot come-n-go in this garage, you pay by the hour. It's much higher if the valet parks your car. There is parking on the street, but we could never find any spaces available.
Parking around Washington D.C. attractions is very difficult, you'll need to park at meters. Payment is done by calling 877-727-5758 (877 PARK 758), or downloading the mobile app at http://us.parkmobile.com. They accept PayPal and credit cards.
If you choose the Metrorail do your research. I suggest you park your car, start and end your day at The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. It has a huge food court for tired and hungry kids, with upscale shopping for mom. It's a convenient stop on the metro line.

Enjoy yourself in the capitol of the greatest country in the world.

Room Tip: Go to the highest floor available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank cthompson3kcmo
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We celebrated our 6 year anniversary at this hotel and it was clean, friendly and welcoming. The service was impeccable and the rooms were stylish with comfortable beds. Advertising they are pet friendly, this hotel goes above and beyond to accommodate your pet. In fact. Soon as you walk in the door there are bowls with dog food and water. In addition, the buffet breakfast was hot and delicious!! The area is located in walking distance to Georgetown D.C. affording you access to many restaurants, shopping and the waterfront. Special thanks to Douglas, Victor, Adeele, and Elias for going out of their way to help us and for providing warm and friendly customer service. We definitely will stay here again!!!

Room Tip: The Rosslyn Area allows easy access to the National Mall.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple