“Worst night's sleep since I swore off Motel 6”

Best Western Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport
Ranked #34 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I ended up here when my conference hotel was overbooked, and wish I hadn't.

If the most important thing you need/want from a hotel stay is a quiet night's sleep, don't stay here. The noise from the next room's plumbing woke me up all night -- the faucets creaked so loudly it was like they were on my head -- and once the women in neighboring room got up & started talking to each other at 5.30am, I might as well have been in the same room with them.

If you must stay here, ask for a 2nd floor room on the far end -- rooms 372, 336, 268, 234, 168 or 134 -- because the beds in these rooms are against the end wall and not on a wall shared with someone else's bathroom. I've just asked to be moved to one of these rooms and fervently hope it will make enough of a difference to sleep tonight.

Another thing to know is that the tap water tasted of mildew or algae - probably not poisonous but definitely not nice to drink.

All of that said, everything else about the room was fine - not nice, but fine - the hotel staff were friendly and competent, and the free breakfast included scrambled eggs.

For $130, I would expect more.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Heidi B, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

We apologize we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate you sharing your feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to make improvements. We are glad that yuo foud the staff friendly and enjoyed the free breakfast. We welcome the chance to earn back your business.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

On arrival at the Airport and one cellphone call to the Hotel,the shuttle arrived quite soon.The short trip was enjoyable and educational.A slight hickup caused a delay in room allocation,but was rewarded with a quite adequate room,but on the upper level.The shuttle management was good and its movement was prompt.There needs,however,for attention to be paid to the servicing of the TWO hotels on the compound.

Room Tip: If you're over 65yrs old,select a room on the lower level.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had a 4 night stay, and have no real complaints.

The shuttle to Pentagon City, although always full, ran enough times so that the wait was never more than 20 minutes.

The rooms were big enough for a family of 3, and cleaned daily.

The wireless was always working.

I will recommend this hotel, and will stay here again if I ever visit DC again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you would stay with us again and recommend our hotel to others. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We booked it for a few days, our first time in the area. We got there and were very dissapointed. We had requested NON-SMOKING room with frig and micro. We get to our room and the smell was horrible. Its like that smoke smell imbedded in the walls and floor. We adivsed the front desk and it seemed they didnt want to help, but they did change us, smell was not as bad, but bareable. However, no frig and micro. We called them as that is what we booked and they brought it in. We left to go eat and upon our return the frig and micro were gone. We called them and they stated that the manager said, they only had one of each of these appliances and could only be in the 1st room we booked, which noone was using. At that point we were looking to stay somewhere else for the rest of our stay. This is really not a hotel it like an old Motel. Needs lots of upgrading, very outdated, didnt seem clean. For the same price we stayed 7 miles away in a nice Hilton and it was great and plush. I would not recommend this place. Rooms are in an annex style not in a building. The next morning we go to breakfast as it was complimentary. It was simply horrible. We didnt eat. We tend stay alot at BW all over the states and this was a horrible experience. Couldnt wait to leave. They should really tear it down.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. You can get better quality close by. Always ask if your room is in building or Ann...
1  Thank bball8270
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is through feedback such as yours that we can make improvements. We apologize your stay was less than epxected and we are using your comments constructively. We welcome a chance to earn back your business.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

In general, we were happy. We had difficulties with the desk staff. Some of them seemed uninformed about DC attractions; one when I asked her about bus tours of Arlington Cemetary told me they don't have them. When I disagreed she became almost hostile telling me 'you shouldn't want to take a tour of a cemetary." (!) None seemed knowledgable about local places to eat. The free breakfast was ok, on our last morning I went back in to the breakfast area to get a cup of coffee to take with me and was accosted by a man who seemed to be in charge and who tried to block me from doing so. Shuttle busses were hot and crowded. Not bd however overall.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. We picked this hotel because of its price and its free shuttle service to the Metro.

Room: It was clean and big. Towels were cleaned daily. We had a king bed and beds were nice and firm. Walls are a little thin though! First night, we could hear our neighbour next door having a verbal fight and never heard it again for the rest of the time. Washrooms were also very clean. Water pressure in the shower was not so great, probably because it was older. BW could probably replace the shower heads with some new ones.

Shuttle service: Definitely nice to have, but don't count on it being on time. It was always 10-20 mins late. It runs daily every half hr until 6:30pm, and after 7pm on the hour. Also, when it picks you up from the Metro station at night, there are about 8 other family/couples as well waiting. There was often not enough seats to accomdate everyone. They either need more frequent shuttles or largers vans. Trip from hotel to Metro was about 5 mins long.

Staff: Very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast selection: Not the best, but not the worst. Very plain selection. Toast, eggs, make-you-own waffles, apples, oranges, donuts, cereal, juice, coffee and milk. It's free, so really, can't complain.

I'd consider this more of a motel, just because its structure (2 floors - enter all rooms from the outside). If I was visiting Washington DC I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IL0veVacays
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I came to this hotel at the last minute after discovering the hotel I had originally booked was full of smoke and had urine on the "just cleaned" toilet seat in the bathroom. I had had my husband find a hotel in my price range online and came here. I was charged $10 more than the price he had found on the internet for 2 of the days I was staying. I guess I should have just had him book it online. You would have thought they would have had the same price, since it was not an "internet only" price. This was how my stay started. At least it was clean and had not been smoked in by the previous occupant (though I believe someone had smoked in it in the past month or two; I am very sensitive to smoke). The a/c sounded as if it was possessed, but I could live with that. Breakfasts are good enough. Watch out for the milk, one morning it was a little sour, but this, too, I can live with. The shuttle runs every half hour. We just missed the morning shuttle the first day, so we waited for the next one. There was not enough room because they start at the Comfort Inn. We were told to wait. They only run every half hour. The did come back after 15 min, so it was not AS bad, but it was annoying. What I could not live with was the paper-thin walls. We got in after an 8 hr drive and just wanted to sleep late, yet our "neighbors" got up at 6 am. The following night at 11 pm, busloads of children rolled in and hundreds of prepubescent teens flowed out, making all kinds of noise for over half an hour. Our room was under the stairs, and next to the ice machine. You can imagine the racket. We left a day early and returned to a NC hotel for rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: Don't stay near a stairwell or an ice machine. Better yet, sleep with earplugs.
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is through feedback such as yours that we can improve our product and service. We apologize your stay was less than expected. We assure you we are using your comments constructively. We welcome the chance to earn back your business.