“Not what it used to be”

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Blue Springs, Missouri
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This hotel has some charm, but the glitzy veneer wears thin quickly, and you start to see the age of the facility, and the poor upkeep/cleaning.

I have two major complaints about my stay. The first if the cleanliness of the rooms. Second is the lack of volunteered information on the part of the staff. First, though some general comments.

The lobby areas are well maintained, lighted and cleaned. These areas are as one expects based upon the website (http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-washington-dc-crystal-city-DCAAEDT/index.html). The carpeting is a bit dated.

The staff is courteous and pleasant - though less informative than I expect from Doubletree/Hilton. Check-in was fast and friendly, with no hassles. I had pre-paid to get a lower rate, so there was no paperwork, etc.

Upon reaching my designated floor, I immediately noticed a musty odor I usually associate with more tropical regions: that odor that combines heat and humidity with lots of air conditioning. I'll grant that the region has experienced a remarkably hot summer, but an adequately designed and maintained HVAC system can handle Washington's hot summers. My room was likewise odorous.

The view from my room was nothing special...but I didn't pay the extra $15 per night for the view of Wash DC. Despite this, I could just make out the Washington Monument and the Capital dome.

Like other reviewers, I noticed the age of the rooms. From warn and stretched carpets, to "ancient" furnishing, the room showed its age. Others have noted that the rooms have flatscreen TVs - which are not HD. That didn't bother as much as the almost-useless LodgeNet system. Reportedly this system has all the descriptions of the hotel, etc etc. - not that I would know it, I never got the system to work. The lag was excruciating, making it impossible to use.

Unlike others, I did not find the beds to be a problem. Yes, they are firm, but that suits me. The linens are of reasonable quality, but no different than I've found at other, and less expensive, Hilton properties.

Cleanliness:
I've mentioned the odors in the hallways and rooms.
More important is the grime, mold and mildew in the bathroom. I've attached a couple of photos showing same. I don't put up with this in my home, I expect the hotels at which I stay to do the same. Cleaning crews need to be better trained, have better tools, be allowed the time to clean properly.

Informativeness:
It's summer at a hotel that serves both business and vacation clients. Your pool is out of service. Shouldn't that be something you mention - during check-in - to visitors dressed in shorts, carrying three large bags???? Apparently not at the Doubletree.

At the end of my first day, after touring the sites in DC, I called the "Careline" to ask which floor the pool is on, only to be informed that the pool was out of service. Disappointing, to say the least. Ok, so things happen...maintenance is needed, etc.

Late the following evening (last before leaving), I happened to talk to a couple riding the elevator, and mentioned the pools was closed. They informed me that yes, they knew, but that the hotel was shuttling clients to the nearby Embassy Suites (also a Hilton property) as their pool was open. WHAT?? So now I'm not just irritated at not being able to use the pool, but now I'm angry that the "Careline" didn't care enough to inform me of this, despite my call specifically about the pool.

It's excusable - though barely, given my attire - that the front desk didn't inform me on my arrival. The hotel hosts a lot of business travelers, and that's not usually on the agenda. It is excusable that the pool was out of service. It is NOT excusable to fail to mention the alternative to a customer making a specific inquiry as to the location of the pool.

Room Tip: If you care about views, pay close attention to the room titles when booking. These will indicate D...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank yosPhelium
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you left here with a negative impression of the hotel & staff. It is disappointing to read that you felt the staff was not informative as we really try to give too much information to avoid surprises for our guests. Obviously this was not the case with you and I am sorry about that.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the new look of the lobby and had an easy check in process. You are correct that the DC area has had an unusual hot spell of temperatures close or above 100 for weeks at a time. The a/c units have definitely felt the strain of the constant hot temperatures and in speaking with colleagues at other hotels this seems to be consistent with many hotels. The units are not made to keep the room temperatures at 35+ degrees cooler than the outside temperatures for weeks on end. I do apologize that the smell of the a/c was noticeable as I can understand why this was disturbing for you.

My apologies that you were not happy with the room condition. We understand some of the rooms are in need of refurbishment and this is scheduled to take place early next year. We have renovated many of our rooms/suites and look forward to having them all done. I am confident that when this occurs all of guests will have the same positive impression of their room as the guests that stay in a newly renovated room have.

I am sorry that you had a challenge with Lodgenet. To my knowledge, we have not had a systemwide problem with Lodgenet as I have not had this complaint before. I wish you would have called our CAREline to let the operator know. An Engineer would have happily come up to fix the challenge.

It is nice to read you enjoyed the bed. Thank you for sharing the photos of your room and I hope you contact me directly so I can identify which room you stayed in. The Director of Housekeeping will absolutely follow up on this to make sure the areas that need more work are tended to.

I can understand why having the pool out of order was disappointing. Without knowng when you checked in, I can not say whether it was out of order at that time. It was an unexpected repair needed and unfortunately, it could not wait. The pool was in use Sunday night and by Monday morning it was drained. That may have been the reason you were not informed at check in. The desk staff were trying to inform as many guests as they could, because again we do not want any surprises for them. I am sorry you did not know until calling the Careline.

Due to the area being sold out, it took some time to find a hotel that would allow us to use their pool, because they wanted it available for their guests. Again, without knowing when you called the CAREline, I can not verify that this option existed at that time. It was not until the 2nd day of the pool being out of order that we were able to secure an alternative for our guests. However, I can understand why this would be upsetting for you and I apologize this occurred.

Thank you again for the review and I am sorry we let you down in certain areas. I do hope you will return so we can restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Universal City
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree last weekend. The hotel was great! The personnel extremely helpful, friendly and informative. I found all of DC citizens to be very friendly. Breakfast room service a little pricey $30. The rooms very comfortable and attractive. The location was 5 minutes from Washington Reagon Airport. The skydome was fun. The view was spectacular. There is a cover charge on weekend nights of $10 even for hotel guests. They have DJ for dancing music. During week no cover charge and open to public. Need to go during day to see all of DC. A taxi to Mt. Vernon was $32 one way. Hotel provides free shuttle to Airport. To park your car the cost is $25 per day. I recommend the Chart House Restaurant at Torpedo Alley. Chief Ike's Bar and Havana Club on Columbia Rd. are dumps. Don't waste your time. The Josephine Nightclub was very nice, a $20 cover charge.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a positive experience. The staff will be happy to see that you found them to exceed your expectations as we work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

As with most (if not all) hotels, the room service is more expensive than dining in the restaurant. We offer both options to guests as well as just grabbing something quick from our Cafe Go. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your room and I am glad you took advantage of our location by reserving a view room. The views are unbeatable both from the view rooms and from the Skydome. The cover charge does not begin until 9pm on Friday and Saturday's so there is still plenty of time for our weekend guests to enjoy the Skydome without having to pay the cover charge. As you mentioned, there is no charge Sunday - Thursday. It is nice of you to provide the readers some local area recommendations for restaurants/bars. Our concierge, front desk staff, and bell staff can also provide some recommendations depending on what you are looking for.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Chicago
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Hotel lobby and common areas are just fine. Rooms are old and outdated. Bed was hard. Carpets and walls worn. Vent in bathroom/shower was disgustingly dirty. Just because they put in a flat screen TV does not make it an updated room.

Also, I am used to a complementary hot breakfast buffet with HHonors Gold status. I was offered the continental. Sometimes it is the little things.

Location was good. Free airport shuttle, including drop at Pentagon City metro is VERY helpful.

Probably won;t stay here again, but the price was right. Sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the new look of the lobby and common hours, but I apologize that the room condition did not exceed your expectations. It is unusual to hear a complaint about the bed being hard as the comfort of our beds is one of the most consistent comments we get about our rooms. In fact, we get so many requests about the type of mattress that the same type of beds that you find in a Doubletree are now available for guests to purchase for their home. I am sorry that this was not the experience you had.

I also apologize that room was outdated. We have completed the renovation on many of our rooms/suites, but it appears you did not stay in a recently renovated room. We are looking forward to completing all of our rooms at the beginning of next year so we then will have the freshest and newest hotel rooms in the area. I do hope you will contact me directly so I find out which room you were in to have the Director of Housekeeping inspect the vents and also to invite you back to stay with us in a renovated room.

Truthfully, you should not be offered a full breakfast at any hotel for being a Gold HHonors member. The HHonors amenity given is supposed to be a continental breakfast and Hilton Worldwide has asked all hotels to adhere to the amenity program strictly to avoid the inconsistency that you experienced.

I am glad you found the complimentary shuttle service to Reagan Airport and the Pentagon City Metro Station helpful. We enjoy offering this to our guests and find it not only makes it more convenient for them, but can also help save money as rental cars are no longer needed.

Thank you for your review and I hope you will reconsider your decision to stay with us. I am very confident that if you return and stay in one of our more recently renovated rooms that your perception of the hotel will change. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Buckhannon, West Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

It seemed inexspencive enough - when I called to ask about parking another car they said to bring as many as I would like - Because i have to pay about $20 a night for each car. (ouch surprise)
Late that evening - after picking my mother up at the train station - she ordered room service. Very pricy (ouch surprise) but, for my mom it was worth it and she really really loved that salad!!! So much that I walked down and got her another later in the week. (Cheeper)
All the staff were awesome - all but one waiter in the restaurant I can not have gluten and the breakfast buffet had a wonderful lay out of food - one of my favs - bacon. Well, they catch the bacon grease drippings with a toast at the bottom of the bacon pan (very cleaver) but that contaminated the bacon. I asked if I could order a side of bacon and get the Breakfast Bar - he told me they could not cook me any in the kitchen. (ouch surprise) Maybe he was having a bad day - I don't know. But, I do know a couple days later another waiter brought me some bacons from the Kitchen.
All in all I liked this place :)

• Stayed July 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you had a nice stay and I am sorry that some charges surprised you. It is not our intention to hide any charges as we do not want our guests to be surprised. The parking charges are listed on our website and also on the confirmation email that is sent after a reservation is made. I am sorry that the charge was a surprise to you upon arrival. If the question posed was can a guest park more than one car in the lot, I can understand why the answer given was "bring as many as you'd like". However, I can also understand why you felt at that point the parking charge should have been reiterated. I am sorry that it was not.

In just about all hotels, room service is more expensive than ordering in the restaurant to either dine in or take it back to your room. I am glad to read she enjoyed the salad so much. I am unsure which salad she ordered, but the Cobb Salad is one of our most popular items. I recommend that to anyone looking for a salad to enjoy.

Your request for bacon should have been met. I am sorry that it was not and the Director of Food and Beverage will follow up with his staff to remind them that requests like this should be handled efficiently and to the satisfaction of the guest. While this is disappointing, I am glad you found the other members of the staff to be friendly and accommodating. I am glad we met this request on your next visit to the Cafe.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. We will work hard to make sure you have an enjoyable stay with as much bacon (that does not touch a gluten product) as you can eat! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Whenever I've stayed here, I've had no problem with my room or the service. The chocolate chip cookie is just the beginning. If I am staying for longer than a few days, I order an extra refrigerator and microwave. It is a short walk to the mall where I will pick up a meal in the food court and I will need to store the leftovers. The breakfast really makes it for me. I live overseas and I enjoy American bacon whenever I can get it. Their breakfast buffet has an ample section of meats, fuits and vegetables, and eggs any way I want them. Usually I could find a junior suite at an online rate which was less than the government rate. If I didn't have so many points built up with another chain, I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for your review and for continuing to return. It is our goal to make sure each guest leaves happy & wanting to return so it is nice to read we have succeeded thus far with you.

As our rooms/suites are renovated a refrigerator and microwave are being put in. However, for the rooms that do not have them yet we do have some available on request. I am glad you have found this amenity helpful.

It is nice to read that you enjoy the breakfast. The buffet offers a great selection so each guest can find some items that he/she likes.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. We'd love you to build up some points with us and have the Hilton Worldwide family of hotels become your #1 choice. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I'm in the second night of my stay and just had to review, because I rarely ever complain about anything and tonight was the last straw.

Upon arriving July 13th, Friday evening, I found the staff very friendly. I must compliment Jayson (bell man) and Omer (front desk) for their exemplary courtesy and attention.

After 10:00 pm, I was starving and asked where to eat. The front desk suggested the SkyLounge. I didn't care about the $10 cover as long as I could get some decent food. After confirming with the check in/security guy at SkyLounge that I could eat there, I paid the cover charge. It turns out however that you can't eat there unless there's an open table which the manager inside then told me that you just have to wait and see if anyone is gone. With people dancing around, you couldn't tell if tables were open. I told the manager I just wanted to eat. He and the security guy said I just had to wait. I walked out of there in disgust, robbed and still famished.

Conversely, the nice girl at the closed cafe said that the bar was open and could serve. So kudos to her and the bartender who did a fine job of making sure I was okay.

Tonight, I decided to order room service. Called the room service number. Called the front desk who transferred me to room service. Called room service again. Mind you, I didn't call back to back to back. I waited, because I figured room service would be busy. However, they just let the phone ring endlessly.

So I ordered pizza from a local shop. After an hour, I received a call from the bell desk. Apparently, the driver had to wait down by the bell desk by the front of the entrance. I had to come down from the 14th floor to get it. Not a big deal, but it was, because I couldn't freaking get basic room service. I tipped the driver over $10 for his inconvenience, then went upstairs to eat mediocre pizza.

To add insult to injury, I put $2.00 in the soda machine on the 14th floor for a diet coke. What came out was a warm to hot diet coke. So not good, because aspartame is bad enough, but in heat, it breaks down the bonding to... whatever. Needless to say, I tossed that. And now the hotel store is closed, so I'm stuck.

I travel quite a bit and have never had a bad experience in a Doubletree. Overall, the staff is friendly, but the overall customer experience has been not good. I fear my remaining night and hope that this review reach the hotel, so they can improve to meet the Doubletree standard.

Safe travels,

Peter

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for the review. I really appreciate you mentioning the smooth check in process and pointing out that Jayson & Omer exceeded your expectations. They both work very hard to make each guest interaction a positive one.

I am very sorry about your negative Skydome experience. The Director of Food & Beverage will be reviewing your comments with the staff to help make sure other patrons do not experience the same frustrations. I will be happy to refund your $10 cover charge. Please contact me directly so I can get some information from you as I do not have any direct contact information. I am glad to read that you had a nice Lobby Bar experience and were able to enjoy your much needed meal there.

That is disappointing that the room service phone went unanswered. That should not occur as room service is staffed appropriately. Again, I am sure the Director of Food & Beverage will be following up on this to remind the staff how important it is to make sure every call is answered in a timely manner. I can understand why this would have been very frustrating for you and apologize that you had this poor experience.

Yes, for security reasons we do not allow delivery people up on the floors. We do ask our guests to come down to get food ordered outside of the hotel. While it may be an inconvenience, we do this to help keep our guests secure.

Wow, you really have had some poor meal experiences and I feel really bad about this. On top of the refund of your $10 cover charge, I would like to offer you the $2 refund from the soda machine. I will also call in the 14th floor soda machine to the Engineering Dept so they can check on it to find out why the soda was warm.

Unfortunately, I did not get notice of this review until after your check out. However, I am hopeful that you will return so we can be sure to not only offer you a nice hotel experience, but also a positive meal experience in any one of our food outlets. I am sorry this did not occur during your recent stay.

In situations like this, I really recommend asking to speak to the Manager on Duty. We always have a hotel manager available to assist in any situation. We want each stay to be enjoyable and memorable (for the right reasons). If this is not occurring, please ask for the manager. We will work hard to make it right.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you contact me directly. We take guest comments very seriously and use them to improve. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels –

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. Prepaid reservation and was upgraded to a deluxe suite with balcony on the 14th floor. Awesome views at night and during day. Booked this hotel because of the complimentary shuttle service to and from Ronald Reagan Airport. Got to hotel and discovered they offered shuttle service to the Pentagon City mall and the metro station every half hour. Great exercise facility.

But... First negative is vicinity and therefore noise from planes landing at Reagan airport. I think the first plane I heard was about 7am. Obviously this can't be controlled, but other negative had to be the pool. Opened at 10am and it was cold. Really cold. The temperature needed to be checked or something was broken. And no jacuzzi.

Nonetheless, had a great stay. Thanks, Doubletree!

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your upgraded suite. The balcony offers a fantastic view of the city and Reagan Airport and it is nice to read you enjoyed this feature. The shuttle service is an amenity that makes it very convenient for our guests. It also is a big money and time saver as no rental car is needed and even if you have a car the time (and frustration) in finding a parking spot in DC can really take away from a fund day of sight-seeing.

While it does happen from time to time, I can honestly write that we rarely hear feedback that planes disturbed our guests. I hope that people with this concern will read other reviews and notice that this is not noted. Certainly if this effected most of our guests it would be mentioned more often. However, I am sorry the planes disturbed you during your stay.

Thank you for letting me know about the pool. My apologies to you that the water was cold. In the future, please let us know while you are here so we can try to fix the challenge right then. We want all of our guests to have a positive experience so if something is not right, let us know. We will work hard to correct it as quickly as possible.

Thank you again for the review and for staying with us. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.