“Location SAVES this hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel's location and friendly & engaging staff saves this hotel from being Poor / Average. The view from the 10 floor over looking Washington DC was great. The distance to transportation is VERY good. BUT, I am very disappointed by my last, check-out, morning - NO HOT WATER. The hotel had a water issue since 7 AM that morning but failed to notify ANY hotel guests. SO, waking up, around 9:30 AM, to this find out you!!!??? Started my morning (literal) ice shower was NOT how I thought I would remember this hotel's 'high' point! They never did mention to me if they corrected the water problem when I checked out at 11 AM.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim G
Dori F, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so glad the location was convenient for your needs and you found the staff to be friendly. We are fortunate to have a location that offers spectacular views of Washington DC from many of our rooms as well as from the Skydome.

I am very sorry for the lack of hot water during your last morning. When we have a planned project that would affect the water we most definitely let our guests know. However, this was unexpected as there was a challenge with the boiler. There really is not a way to alert all of our guests of this challenge. Also, it did not affect every room which made it a little trickier to know who was inconvenienced by this. I am happy to let you know that barring another unforeseen challenge, the hot water issue has been resolved. However, I do apologize that this happened to cause you to leave the hotel with a negative last impression.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return. I can confidently say that this challenge will not be repeated. We will work very hard to again exceed your expectations. I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

703-416-3801

Write a ReviewReviews (3,005)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I had a great stay! The staff were friendly and accommodating. The rooms were decent, not great. The rooftop lounge is a cool place to relax and get a 360 view of DC. The fitness center is quite nice...especially for a hotel. It's nearly gym quality! This hotel is near the airport, close to the "National Mall", the Pentagon, and an easy Metro ride to almost anywhere else. I love the complimentary cookie at check- in. I'll be back here for future business travel!

Room Tip: The south tower is nicer. Check your room key envelope for the decoder for room location!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Dori F, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Your review is very much appreciated. It is so nice to read about your great stay experience. The staff works hard to offer each guest just as an enjoyable stay as you had. The Skydome does offer a unique experience and I really recommend all of our guests go up there to take in the spectacular view while enjoying a drink and/or dinner.

We are proud to have the largest fitness room of any single hotel in the area. Many of our guests comment about how convenient our location is to the airport, Metro, Washington DC, the Pentagon, and so much more. I am glad you found the hotel to be convenient for your needs.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back. We will work very hard to again exceed your expectations. I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

People are friendly. Rooms are good-sized. My coworker's room was so dusty, she had to move. May problem is that I think the hotel knows it has problems and lies about it. I tried calling from the road for the whole time I was driving up from Richmond .. No answer. When I checked in, they were surprised to hear that ... And yet, other guests we talked to had the same experience ... Calling from their rooms! I woke up and wanted to shower. No hot water. No warning. I called down and my problem was acknowledged "We're working on it." But no one sounded surprised or particularly concerned. Compensation was 1 night of fee parking. What I really need though is to go to work clean! The price on Hotwire was great ($73) but I think this must be because the hotel is under renovations and the guest experience is inadequate.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank katthewolf

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry you had such a frustrating time with us and you comment about the friendly staff is appreciated.

As with all hotels or business, there are opportunities for improvements, but please know the agents were not lying to you about being unaware of the phone challenge. We had a server for the phone system go down, but it did not affect all calls coming in. So the phones were still ringing and we were able to talk to guests as well as people calling in from the outside. We started getting word of some people indicating they had a problem calling with no one answering, but because our phones were still ringing we honestly did not recognize there was problem on our end. After the comments kept coming in our IT department was able to locate the challenge and have it corrected. I am very sorry this occurred as I am sure it was a frustrating experience for you.

There is never a good time for a boiler to go down, but unfortunately this occurred the same time that the phone server went down. We had an outside vendor come in to repair the boiler, but a part was needed. We were told by the vendor that the temporary fix that was put on would last until the part arrived. However, the next morning it failed and the hot water was not getting to the rooms in the North Tower. If we could have offered you hot water instead of the parking, we would have done that. Please know both the phone and hot water challenges were unexpected. We routinely practice preventative maintenance, but even with that in place there are times unexpected breaks occur. This was one of those times. We tried to be honest and forthcoming with the details we knew and I am really sorry you felt otherwise.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will return. While these had the unfortunate coincidence of occurring at the same time, I hope you realize these are isolated incidents and not the norm. Once again I am sorry you had a frustrating stay. I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

When first arrived our remote control did not work. Next, we couldn't get the heat working correctly.. Lastly, no lotion was in the room. The front desk did immediately send up technicians to fix the remote and the heat. Also, sent up housekeeping with lotion. Was a major disturbance to our one night out on the town. Have 3 kids so every night out is very valuable to us. Every person knocking and entering the room was a major disruption

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline G
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Your review is very much appreciated. I am very sorry that we failed to offer you the relaxing away from home experience that you were looking for. These challenges should have been recognized and corrected prior to your arrival and once again I apologize they were not. While I am glad each one was rectified, it is understandable why this was frustrating for you. Please reach out to me so I can try to make this right for you and restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon. I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I enjoyed the view with my family in the Night. We enjoyed the service, reception, the workers handling any requests in the all places of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean with no smell. The room was in the right location. My family liked it. Then, we left to the nearby Mall using the hotel shuttle bus and spent most of our family time in there. We will back sometime to spend more nights in this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors to the DC side view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I am glad you had such a nice stay and took advantage of staying in a view room. The view is spectacular and many of our guests really enjoy seeing Washington DC all lit up in the evening.

It is nice to read that your family agreed with you that the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City is a great place to stay when visiting the DC area. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Happy travels -

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Excellent value hotel (given the price I paid) - good location with good amenities, again, benchmarked against other hotels in similar price range. It is 3 blocks walk from Pentagon City metro station and there is a free hotel shuttle every 30 mins to the metro if you don't want to walk. Customer service was good - on my first night, there was an issue with the hotel boiler and there was no hot water for anyone in the North Tower. I went down to the front desk at 6am, explaining that I have just flown in from Europe the night before and desperately need a shower before I can start my day. I was very impressed with the "let me try and solve this right away" attitude at the front desk and I was offered a room in the South Tower right away (with hot water), if I was willing to change rooms. The family in front of me who had to check out early (and also had no hot water) was offered complimentary breakfast for the whole family.

However, the rooms do look tired and in need of renovation. My first room had comfortable beds but everything else look like it hasn't been updated for at least 15 years. There were also surprisingly no readily accessible power point (electricity plug) close to the work desk. There was an in-room coffee machine though but no room safe. Housekeeping was a bit flaky as well - there's shampoo / conditioner but no soap in the bathroom when I first arrived, on the second night, there's coffee but no cream or sugar or stirrers and on the third night, there's no top-up shampoo & conditioner and this is after leaving a daily tip for cleaning my room.

Overall, I would still stay here again if I visited DC again if I can get a good rate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for choosing to post your review. I am glad to read that you took advantage of a great rate offer and find it money well spent. It is nice to read that we are located in an area that you found to be convenient for your needs. We are fortunate to be so close to the Metro, Reagan Airport, Washington DC, and much more.

I am sorry for the lack of hot water, but glad you were offered a solution that worked for you. The boiler going down was unfortunate and I appreciate your understanding. The desk staff really worked hard to manage the challenge as best as possible and keep our guests happy. It is nice to read this was your experience.

I hope you contact me with your room information so we can look into this as all the desks should have power strips available. My apologies that this was not on your desk as I am sure it was frustrating. While I am glad you had a comfortable night's sleep, I am sorry the condition of the furniture was below your expectation. We do have some rooms that have been recently updated and those do include a safe. Currently the plan is as the rooms are updated safes will be added. It is disappointing to read about your inconsistent housekeeper. Again, I hope we obtain the room number so the Director of Housekeeping can follow up on this.

Thank you again for your review. I am glad your overall stay was a positive one, but apologize for the challenges you did experience. We hope you return and we will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Happy Travels -

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The room was really nice and the view excellent. The dinner in the Skydome took over 2 and half hours to serve. Automcatic tip for poor service added t your bill. It is a rotating floor so the view is amazing but we passed the Capital over 5 times during dinner

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. It is so nice to read that you enjoyed your room and I am glad you took advantage of one of our view rooms. We are lucky to be able to offer so many with an unobstructed view of Washington DC.

I am sorry to read that you did not have an enjoyable Skydome experience. This is not typical as the majority of the patrons of the Skydome leave very happy. You did not mention it in your review, but I am glad that when you let us know of your disappointment a discount was offered to you. There is not usually a tip included on the bill, but this is the case on holidays and it is noted on the menu. Again, I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable Skydome experience and hope you return as I am confident this will not be repeated.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact Kevin Feldman at kevin.feldman@hilton.com and 703-416-3846. He is happy to assist in anyway he can.

Happy Travels -