“Used Hotwire to get extra deal on this great hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 14 March 2014

When I first looked into hotels in DC, I had no idea how expensive they would be. I resorted to using HotWire's "Secret Deal" to book the hotel, which made me a little nervous. This DoubleTree had wonderful service, the choice of food inside the hotel was a bit pricey (again, this could just be the area), the room itself was fine, nothing too special. Some paint was peeling in the restroom despite a "recent renovation". Overall, I would have no problem visting this place again (although only if I didn't have to pay full, regular price).

The hotel had a free shuttle to/from the airport, and a free shuttle to/from the closest metro station (Pentagon City) which was extremely helpful. They also offered free baggage storage so after we checked out, we used that to keep seeing the sights, then came back for our stuff and headed out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for choosing to post a review. Yes, the prices for the area do increase this time of year as it is heading into our busiest time. I am so glad you found a great deal and stayed with us. It is nice to read our staff service met your expectations. The pricing in the area can be high compared other areas, but far below those found inside Washington DC. I am sorry for the peeling paint as that should have been corrected.

It is nice to read that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttles as they make getting around the area much easier. Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is an older hotel in a great location. It is right next to Ronald Reagan/DCA/National airport via shuttle or 3 blocks from the metro station to go there or into the city. The hotel lobby is nice and open with plenary of seating groupings in the central area near the bar. Some set up for chatting and some for sports with flat screens. The exterior and the pool were undergoing renovations while I was there. My room was in the North Tower with a good view of the city and was very large if dated. The interior is very tired feeling, but it was VERY clean and comfortable. The beds were fantastic and extremely comfortable! The staff were very friendly and helpful at every encounter. I tried out the Skydome lounge/restaurant on the top of the North Tower which has a great view of the city as it revolves within floor to ceiling windows. The north tower elevators had a long wait since 1 elevator wasn't working which was pain since they had business conferences there so I hope that is rectified soon. The hotel rooms were not near as nice as a lot of Doubletrees but the location, staff, common areas and views were good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for posting your review. I am so glad our location was convenient for your needs. The feedback on our lobby remodel has been so positive. Many of our guests, like yourself, like the ample seating and friendly environment. It is a great place to meet up without having to invite people into your hotel room.

We are looking forward to the pool reopening in early May. It is so nice to be able to offer our guests such a fantastic view of Washington DC from many of our guest rooms. I appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of your room as the housekeeping staff works hard to offer this experience to all of our guests. We are looking forward to the remainder of our rooms being remodeled early next year.

The staff really enjoys trying to make a positive impact with each guest interaction and it is rewarding to read that you found the staff to be helpful. As good a view that is offered from our view rooms, the Skydome view of Washington DC is unbeatable. I strongly recommend each guest to go up there for a drink, appetizer, dinner, or even just to check out the view. I apologize that the elevator was not working properly and can understand why that would be frustrating. I am happy to let you know that the elevators are operating properly so if you return this should not be a challenge you encounter.

Dori.familiant@hilton.com

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Whenever work or leisure brings me to the DC area, the Doubletree at Crystal City is the first hotel I check out for availability and price. I have never had a problem and enjoyed every stay and recommend it highly. If you are driving, it's easy to access off 395 and easy to get into DC. I recommend it highly

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience. We really enjoy welcoming back familiar faces. Our ultimate goal is to have every guest leave happy and wanting to return. It is rewarding to read this goal has been met with you. Please know that we will not take your business for granted and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations each time you return.

Thank you again for your review and the recommendation. We look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed two nights in a suite recently, and enjoyed my stay (though I didn't spend a ton of time in my room). I flew in to DCA and took the shuttle over...it took 15-20 minutes to wait, and about 5 to get to the airport form there. Going back was quicker - the shuttle is every 15 minutes (:00, :15, :30, :45) and takes 5-10 minutes since it usually (but not always) stops at Embassy Suites on the way.

Check-in was quick and friendly. My room, in the south tower, didn't seem updated, and was definitely showing its age. However, it was clean, and it was comfortable. The WiFi was fairly fast. It costs $12 or so without status, and is free with HHonors Gold or higher status. I also got the "free" breakfast buffet. First day it was free, second day the guy said I had to pay $5 for the hot portions, and the free was continental. That should be clarified at some point in the process (likely check-in). The buffet was large enough and good, but not great. I would likely be disappointed had I paid (not sure of the price, but I assume $20 or so?).

Location is good - a few minutes walk to Pentagon, a few minutes walk to Pentagon City Metro Stop, which can have you in to DC in a few stops. As far as areas go, I prefer Crystal City slightly because of the restaurant choices...there are few restaurant choices in this area compare to Crystal CIty.

I did not check out the gym because I am an outdoor runner. It's a good location if you're a runner. Start off going north past the Pentagon....it'll be a loud run along the road for the first (and last) 2 miles or so, but eventually you'll end up by the Lincoln Memorial and then the mall. A roundtrip run to White House or Capitol is 7 to 9 miles, and quite enjoyable (in the morning when it's quiet without Mall tourists!)

I would certainly stay again, but would also look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kevin_Feldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. It is nice to read that you took advantage of the complimentary shuttle to Reagan Airport. Our guests really enjoy the fact that our shuttle runs everty fifteen minutes in a continuous loop vs. the thirty minute loop found at most other hotels.

The desk staff knows that after a long day of travel that a speedy check in is very important. I am glad that this was offered to you and also that you found your room to be comfortable. We are looking forward to finishing the room remodeling project soon so that all rooms will be newer.

My apologies that the breakfast buffet for HHonors members was not clarified to you. Hilton Honors has asked all hotels to strictly follow their amenity program so it is consistent at all hotels. The current amenity offered is a complimentary breakfast, which is why there is a nominal fee to upgrade to the full buffet. Again, I am sorry this was inconsistent in your stay.

We are lucky to have restaurant choices within walking distance along with a major mall that offers food options. I am glad you enjoyed the Crystal City location. Next time you will have to look at the gym as we do offer the largest gym of any hotel in the area. However, we have many runners that also enjoy the trails and I appreciate you offering this tip to the readers of your review.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. It is always good to look at the options, but I hope your decision is to return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels -

Kevin B. Feldman
703-416-3846
kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I would not stay at this hotel again. Although it was well located there are numerous other options available at what I feel is a better value. The room and it's furnishings were dated. Upon arrival and check in we were ask to sign a 'No Party' form. I found the process offensive. The Sundry shop closed too early. While there is a cafe in the lobby area the prices were higher than I would have expected, more like being at an airport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to post a review. i am sorry that you left disappointed. Most guests appreciate the No Party Policy that is signed by all guests in a suite on a weekend. It is not meant to be offensive, but rather it reassures most guests that we are doing what we can to ensure all guests have a peaceful night. The No Party form deters the many weekend guests looking to have a large gathering a suite and if not, when there is a disturbance we can show the signed document as a reason to evict the guests. I am sorry this upset you, but again that was not the intent.

The gift shop is open until 11pm which is standard for the gift shops in hotels. The reason is very few people frequent the gift shop late at night. Thank you again for your review and I truly am sorry you did not have a satisfactory experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Got in to DCA at about 10:30 PM and shuttle was there in about 15 mins. Courteous driver and check in was quick. Room was good (just remember to check alarm clocks in hotel rooms mine went off at 4 AM). The fitness room was great and the machines were in really good condition. Again, a great place to stay if you are looking for a good deal and nice place in DC...close to the Metro too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Woot Woot -- Sound the alarms!! Congratulations to you as you are our 1,000th reviewer. A tin of delicious Doubletree Cookies will be sent to you. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Many of our guests enjoy that our airport shuttles run every fifteen minutes as opposed to every thirty minutes like most other area hotels. While I am happy to sound the alarm on you being our 1,000th reviewer, I am sorry the alarm was sounded at 4am from your clock. The Director of Housekeeping will remind his staff to double check the alarm is shut off after a guest checks out. We are proud to have the largest fitness room of any area hotel and I am glad you had a good workout in it.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have you back as we look forward to the challenge of again exceeding your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel was very clean, I felt very comfortable. The service from every staff member I came across was professional, polite, attentive, full of smiles, and very helpful, following through with every thing. Diana at the front desk always greeted me by name, and always satisfied my need 100%. I will come back to the hotel solely because of her! Thank you Hilton Doubletree!!!! Well Done!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Danielle W

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is so rewarding to read about your positive experience as the team works so hard to offer this to each of our guests. I appreciate you singling out Diana for her efforts. She tries to always have a welcoming smile for our guests and is constantly looking for ways to make a positive impact in their stay.