DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Richmond, Virginia
“Nats Game.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We went to a Nationals game and stayed at the DoubleTree in Crystal City. It is centrally located to the Pentagon Mall and Metro stop. The rooms were nicely updated, since it is an older building the walls were not paper thin (like many newer places) which kept out the noise. Couple of things to watch: the parking garage is very tight and low - careful !! - just because you get in doesn't mean you wont scrape low hanging pipes - and as many places do they over charge your credit card at check in to cover any incidentals which will be returned to you in 4-7 business days, however they don't inform you of this at check in!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We are lucky to be located so close to the Metro and Washington DC. I am glad you found our location to be convenient. The feedback on our updated rooms has been positive and it is nice to read that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.

I appreciate the tip for our guests. We do have the height restrictions located at the entrance of the garage so everyone should be aware. Also, as you may have seen, we have many SUV's and larger vehicles parked in the garage. We do offer surface lot parking for oversized vehicles that are too large for the garage.

We do have a sign at the front desk indicated an authorization is taken, but I am sorry the agent did not also tell you. It is common at hotels to authorize slightly more than the estimated amount to allow for room charges (movies, food, parking, etc.). However, as you mentioned, any unused portion is put back on the card.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you had a great time at the game. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

dori.familiant@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Rooms are standard. Pricey with substandard service.

My stay was pleasure and was to celebrate graduation with friends. Called to try to change my reservation- they wouldn't allow (never had a problem doing this at any other hotel or booking agency). Called to see if I had a fridge/microwave in my room they claimed I would get a fridge. It was important to me since I had 3 other people with me and had food from grocery store. When I got to room there was no fridge. I tried to call but their phone was not working. The representative asked me if I WANTED it fixed(???) Why would she need to ask that question? Even if I didn't need to call them anymore they need to fix the phone. When I told them I was promised a fridge and didn't get one-- one rep said she can not get one but that she can transfer me to another rep to see if someone else can find one. The next person just told me they would get it to me if they have one available. I never heard from them the rest of the night. The phone & refrigerator issues were never addressed.

The website posts in small font what time skydome closes on Saturdays (1am) -- but all over their hotel floors it posts 2am. Google also posts it as 2am. When I asked customer service whether there was a cover charge, they said there is no cover charge for anyone even if they do not stay at the hotel. When I got there the bouncer said there's a $10pp charge. He was actually sort of helpful and pretty nice -- he allowed me and my friends to get in without the cover charge but others were charged. There is a limit on how many people can be in the skydome at a time. Their busy day is Saturday so if they're packed you have to wait in the 14th floor elevator lobby for others to leave skydome. The room rotates (so remember your table number) and it's an amazing view.

I got the room with DC view which was not really worth the price. I also got the parking special which allows as many people with a room card to get free parking. That was convenient since my party had 2 cars and we thought they would have to pay the full charge of $26.

You can still get breakfast if you opt for it or pay additional at the cafe (13+ pp) but it doesn't necessarily come with room. Room was okay. Average hotel room. Also at check in we got 4 warm chocolate walnut cookies.

All in all, the hotel has a nice touch, some staff are receptive while others turn away from issues. The view room was not worth the extra price. If you have 1 or more cars, it's convenient to get the parking package. Be prepared to expect lower than they promise when you arrive & since it is such a busy hotel, they're unable to aim to please all customers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MT8054
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. Without knowing the specifics of your reservation there could be a few reasons that your reservation could not be changed. Some reasons this may have occurred is the hotel could have been sold out of your room type or sold out overall, the reservation could have been prepaid or part of a group, there may be a rate change with the shift in your stay pattern or many more challenges in changing your reservation. We alter reservations often and are happy to do so which is why if yours could not have been there must have been a reason, but I am surprised this was not properly explained to you. I would be happy to get the answer for you if you provide me some details about your reservation.

I am sorry a refrigerator was not waiting in your room as if something is promised we need to deliver on that promised. I can understand why this was frustrating. It may seem silly to you that we had to ask if you wanted your phone fixed, but there are many guests that prefer an item is fixed at another time or after departure. We can not assume which is why we ask. I am sorry that the operator upset you by asking if you wanted someone to come to the room as I am sure that was not her intention. Again, I am terribly sorry for these challenges and hope you provide me more details about your stay so I can look into them further.

The Skydome hours recently changed and we are having new signs made up to reflect the shifted hours. It is surprising that you were told there was not a cover charge as we have one every Friday and Saturday evening after 9pm. I do not know when you asked, but the agent may have falsely assumed you were going up earlier (prior to the cover charge) if you asked about it earlier in the day or on another day where the cover charge does not apply. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your Skydome experience and appreciate the tips you gave to the readers of your review.

I am sorry you did not find value in the view room as that is our most popular room type and our guests typically leave very happy with the decision to stay in one. We do offer different rate packages and it is nice to read that you found value in the parking package. We also offer room packages that include breakfast. The Doubletree cookies are a nice way to welcome our guests.

Your detailed review is appreciated. While i am glad your overall stay was positive it is disappointing to read that you left with a negative perception of our guest service as we strive to be much better than you experienced. I do hope you will return soon so we can restore your faith in us and have leave with a much better impression of our staff. Thank you again for your review. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Ninety Six, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our first trip to DC and a friend suggested this hotel. while it is a older hotel, the location was perfect,walking distance to everything. Only complaint is food prices at the hotel were high for this small town country boy. But would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience and thank you to your friend for giving us the recommendation. I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay and found our location to be convenient for your needs. I can understand why if you came in from another area that the food prices would seem high. Our prices are in line with other area hotels and well below those found inside the District.

Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

WHITE OAK, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Room smelled od smoke. Small beds. Reserved queen size beds. No A/C. It never worked. No hot water. The desk staff seemed uncaring. The water issue was the only issue resolved. Overall stay was poor. One day the room was never cleaned.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to post your review. It is odd that your room smelled of smoke as we are an all non smoking hotel. Unfortunately, there are times that smokers still choose to smoke in a room despite the heft cleaning fee and we work hard to eliminate the smell prior to the next guest. I wish you let us know so we could have sent up an air freshener or checked to see if another room was available for you.

We do not have any rooms with queen size beds so I am unsure how you thought this was reserved. We have only king beds and two double beds and both room types are labeled with the bed type in the name of the description. I am sorry that you thought queen size beds were reserved, but that could not have been the case through our reservation system.

I am sorry the air conditioning in your room did not work properly and very disappointed that you were not given a proper response when reporting the challenge to us. I hope you will reach out to me so I can try to make this right. The hot water challenge was due to a boiler failing, but once we realized this it was reset. I am glad this was fixed during your stay.

Thank you again for your review and I truly am sorry we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Tacoma, United States
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The staff was excellent. The beds were horrible they were too small. Who buys double beds for a hotel? When I go to a hotel I normally sleep very well. I did not sleep well one night and I stayed five nights. I am not a light sleeper and I can normally sleep standing up. My husband and I felt horrible sleeping in a double bed. With that said, the service from all employees was perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. It is rewarding to read that you found the staff to be helpful and welcoming. It is standard for hotels to offer double beds in some rooms and kings in others, which is what we have. The room type is listed as a double bed so it is clear when booking. I am sorry that you were expecting something else. I hope you return so we can offer you the same great service and a king size bed.

Thank you again for your review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

BROCKTON
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Beds were comfortable, rooms were good-sized so if you just want a place to sleep this hotel wood be good. It has a revolving bar on the roof, but they charge you $10 to enter on Fri and Sat.nights. Lobby bar like a fishbowl with terrible bartender. No restaurants or bars within walking distance at night. (there was a mall several blocks away but I wouldn't walk there at night.)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am happy you enjoyed your room accommodations and would recommend the hotel based on that. The Skydome does have a cover charge after 9pm on Friday and Saturday evenings, but at all other times no cover charge applies.

Many of our guests really enjoy the openness of the Lobby Bar and prefer this to the closed in feeling that you find at most hotel lobby bars. I am sorry this type of atmosphere is not your preference. I hope you can let me know the bartender's name or time of your visit so we can follow up on this. Also I welcome any more information that you can provide as to what he did (or did not do) to let you down.

We offer a complimentary shuttle to/from the Metro/Mall until 11pm daily, so if a guest prefers not to or can not walk this is an option. Aside from there being dining options in the mall, there is also restaurants of many different cuisines across the street and behind the mall. I understand you not wanting to walk at night, but should a reader choose to walk, it is 3 blocks (7-10 minutes).

Thank you again for your review and i am sorry that you left feeling like you can not recommend us. I hope you return so we can change this perception. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Excellent hotel with good service. Located near the metro line with a free shuttle from the hotel to the Metro and back and to the Reagan airport. Very convenient to everything in the city. Great view of the city from the upper floors and a nice rooftop restaurant and lounge

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for posting your review. It is nice to read that we offered you a fantastic stay. The shuttles do make it simple to get to/from the Metro and airport. I am glad you enjoyed this amenity. We are fortunate to be the closest Virginia hotel to Washington DC and this allows us to offer our guests an unobstructed view of the Nation's Capital from many of our rooms in the North Tower. As wonderful as the view is from these rooms, the view from the Skydome is even better. Many of our guests comment that there is not a better way to see Washington DC than from the Skydome. I really recommend that all of our guests take a moment to go up there even of just for an appetizer and/or drink. Of course, dinner is available as well.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return real soon. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.