DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not the best”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Pro's shuttle to the metro and shuttle to Airport, good cookies at check in and friendly staff.
Con's old uncomfortable beds, layout of rooms with two double beds not logical. I have never visited a hotel that did not have a mirror outside of the bathroom without an electrical outlet nearby. Very hard for three people to get ready and use flat irons or hairdryer when u can only use the outlet in the bathroom since that is the only place with a mirror and outlet. Bathrooms need fans installed. Sold us a room looking over Potomac but all I saw was the roof and fans. Very disappointing.
Convention area was too too small and cramped.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you found our staff to be friendly and took advantage of the complimentary shuttles. We have many different room types and not only list a description of each one on our website, but also offer photographs. A two double bed room is pretty standard in hotels so I am unsure what you felt was illogical about it. However, I am sorry that you felt this way.

I appreciate the suggestion of another mirror and outlet. Many of our rooms are being remodeled towards the end of this year and I will look into having this available. I am very sorry a view room was not available. We know how important it is to offer the room type reserved and I apologize that was not done so for you. We have 31,000 square feet of meeting space and the groups we host typically find this to be ample space. Without knowing which conference you were here with, I can not comment on your specific room. I am sorry you felt cramped.

Thank you again for your review. I am truly sorry you left disappointed, but hope you return so we can offer you a much better experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

dori.familiant@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Decatur, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My daughters and I traveled to D.C. for National Police Week as my late husband, their daddy was killed in the line of duty. Concerns of Police Survivors has been using this hotel for many years but this year the hotel rooms were very nasty and the service was horrible!! There was something nasty on the underneath side of the toilet so when you sat in the tub you could see it. I asked them more than 3 times to clean it.....it never got cleaned. Three times we left our dirty towels in the floor and when we returned from the days activities there were 0 towels!!!!! We had to call down for towels. On one occasion when I asked them to come back up and clean the toilet and leave fresh towels they placed the clean towels on the floor in front of the toilet!! NASTY!!!!! The 2nd night we were there the AC stopped working and the hotel room was over 80 degrees. One morning I got up to shower and I had to take a cold shower as their was NO HOT WATER!!!! Like I said........WORST HOTEL STAY EVER!!!!!

1 Thank Ashley H
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for posting your review. I am so sorry that we let you down during your visit. While I am happy to see that compensation was offered and accepted for your let down, I apologize for the many challenges that you experienced.

As you mention C.O.P.S. has been using our hotel for many years, thankfully the large majority of the attendees leave each year happy and wanting to return. I am sorry that this was not your experience. While challenges happen from time to time, it is rare for this many to happen to one guest. While we hate disappointing any guests, it is extremely disheartening to read that we let you down while coming in to honor your husband. He is a hero and we sincerely appreciate the sacrifice he made. I am going to reach out to you to try and make this right.

Thank you again for your review and again I am truly sorry we did not offer you a fantastic experience. I hope you come back and we can offer you the positive experience that the C.O.P.S. attendees are used to . As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

I appreciate your time –

San Francisco, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very expensive - charging high price just for being close to the Washington Center, but old and run-down rooms, average food quality, old hotel. There are better ones out there for half the price.....

1 Thank Thomas K
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you felt your rate was too high. Our rates are fairly priced when compared to hotels in the area, but I always welcome our guests to shop around to ensure the value is right for them. The dates that you stayed with us were extremely busy and the area was sold out which is why you may not have found a cheaper rate. However, I am sorry you left disappointed.

Thank you again for your review and again I am truly sorry we did not offer you a fantastic experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

I appreciate your time –

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I arrived really tired after a whole day of flying through the country, i was welcomed when i got here and i had excellent service. The receptionist was more than just awesome, she welcomed me with a warm smile and offered me cookies and actually helped my long tiring day become way better. Diana, is here name. One of the best receptionist i ever was served by, if you ever come to this fantastic hotel, make sure you ask for her and check in using her help. You won't be disappointed!! I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone trying to stay in the DC area, great location, extra nice service and really clean and high quality room. Dont miss it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adki A
Thank you for choosing to post a review. We know a lot of our guests have endured a long travel day when they arrive so we do try to offer a warm welcome (the cookie helps) and I am glad to read that this was your experience. I very much appreciate you recognizing Diana by name so we can thank her for her efforts in making a positive difference in your stay. She works hard to exceed all of our guests' expectations.

Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation. We hope to welcome you back soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Milwaukee, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Good location, great view of the city. Not the most accommodating to needs of guests and a bit tired. Cafe okay. No wow factor...so easily could be outstanding. Parking lot filled with wedding and special events..not enough for guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your review. It is nice to read that you found our location to be convenient for your needs and enjoyed the view. I would love to have more details on what you feel the staff could have done better. We use guest feedback to help up improve and yours would be valuable to us.

It is rare for our lot to be filled, but like with most hotels on certain event weekends it does happen. My apologies that this inconvenienced you.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return. I am truly sorry we did not offer you a fantastic experience and really believe we could change your perception of the staff if given another opportunity. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

alta loma, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2014

the hotel has a bit of renovation to be done. Hall way carpeting a bit worn, bathroom space very tight no more than 2 people can use it due to space for personal items. the personal in house keeping were available. The air conditioning was not working so they brought up a portable fan and we had that during our stay due to the weather the rooms were stuffy. we had to use tap water other places we have stayed at offer guest bottle water for the consumption of coffee or tea. also other hotels provide small refrigerator and small micro-wave oven. Given the price that we had to pay for each day. They did give us a good cookie at check in.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. We are excited to have a remodel project coming towards the end of this year and appreciate you recognizing the work in the public space that we had done last year. I also appreciate you recognizing the helpfulness of the housekeeping staff. My apologies that your room was not a comfortable temperature as I am sure that was frustrating for you.

We do offer bottled water to Hilton Honors members and have some for sale should guests prefer to have that. I am unfamiliar with hotels that offer this in all rooms, but I will forward your suggestion to Hilton Worldwide as they often make changes based on guest feedback. Some rooms do have microwaves and refrigerators in them and we have some available upon request for the rooms that do not. I wish you would have let us know that you needed these as we would have brought them to you. As part of our remodel project it is planned to have these amenities available in all rooms. I am glad you enjoyed the cookie as it is a nice way to welcome our guests.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I came to the Washington DC area to attend an event at the Kennedy Center - I called the hotel ahead of time to advise I will be arriving late (around 11:30PM). "No problem," I was told.

Before I booked the hotel I verified that it offers parking. It does. There is Valet Parking and a Self Parking Garage.

When I arrived I entered the Self Parking Garage first. There was no sign or indication that it may be full. However, it was full. Not only was there no free parking space there, the numerous cars already parked inside created such mayhem that I had hard time getting out of the maze. I was able to leave the garage with no charges assessed, and proceeded immediately to the Valet Parking station.

There was no one there.

I waited. I waited some more. I asked hotel employees nearby where the person in charge of Valet Parking was but received only "I don't know"s. It took 15 minutes for the person to come back finally and then he told me that "there is no parking available anywhere."

"What do I do now?" I asked. His answer was "there is no parking available anywhere."

"How am I expected to check in then?" His answer: "there is no parking available anywhere."

"But I have a reservation" His answer did not change. "There is no parking available anywhere."

I drove away, reckoning I would need to find another hotel to spend the night. However, I was lucky. About half a mile away from the hotel I spotted a car leaving a parking space on the street as I was driving. I quickly took the spot, then carried my suitcase and bags back to the hotel.

The clerk at the reception desk was indifferent to my complaint that you cannot leave a customer with a confirmed (and nonrefundable) reservation stranded like this. Her attitude seems to be that the hotel is in high demand, and so no one there cares at all about anybody. As far as she was concerned I could sleep in my car. This seems to be the attitude of the rest of the staff as well. "We really really do not care."

Needless to say I will not be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Reuel_Tidhar
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I am so sorry that you had a challenging stay. While the parking lot does get full on a rare occasion, it is very disappointing to read the response you received. I too would be frustrated to receive that response when inquiring as to where to park.

Our valet and garage are run from an outside company and I have shared your comments with the Director so he can look into this further. I also will be following up with the Director of Front Office so she can identify the person you spoke to and go over a more appropriate response. I am going to reach out to you to try and make it right.

I hope the readers of this review also take the time to read the many other reviews that mention the great customer service received. This in no way diminishes your experience, but it is not the typical guest experience. I hope you will reconsider your decision not to return as I know we can offer you much better stay and restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Thank you again for your review and once again I am truly sorry that we let you down. We hope to welcome you back soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.